Shizune Arc

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Carighan

Re: Shizune Arc

Post by Carighan »

In Lilly's route I partially see this as Hisao keeping Lilly off Hanako for a bit, by virtue of sex. Considering the message of her own route, that seems a very likely explanation of why Hanako steps out of her comfort zone as far as she does.

But yes, Shizune is a very strong heroine. It's only fitting that in the good ending she gets through the problem herself, while in the bad ending her determination turns out to be her downfall because Hisao can't tell her to lay it off for the crucial minute necessary. Although granted, the pivotal moment is whether Hisao shows both Misha and Shizune that it's about all three of them with no exceptions. Which is a pretty strong message especially for Shizune, in the situation.
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Carighan wrote:In Lilly's route I partially see this as Hisao keeping Lilly off Hanako for a bit, by virtue of sex. Considering the message of her own route, that seems a very likely explanation of why Hanako steps out of her comfort zone as far as she does.
Never mind the explanation actually given...:P
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
rotorko

Post by rotorko »

I would like to step in too.

I don´t judge people because they don´t like her arc. I don´t even know if I like it myself becuase truth be told, i have not played yet her arc (I know, there is no point me being on this topic), but i just had the need to say that i understand what poeple mean by that. Even in the first act I, it is seen that Shizune is really a character! She became Hisao´s friend, like she already knew him, wanted to help him. I think none of the other characters would do that by themselves. But it is just my opinion. My Shizune path will be this weekend, so i hope I will more understand, and maybe i am just saying stupid things here. So please don´t hate! 8)

I am really looking forward to Shizune´s arc!
´...´ - Shizune!
YZQ

Post by YZQ »

rotorko wrote:I would like to step in too.

I don´t judge people because they don´t like her arc. I don´t even know if I like it myself becuase truth be told, i have not played yet her arc (I know, there is no point me being on this topic), but i just had the need to say that i understand what poeple mean by that. Even in the first act I, it is seen that Shizune is really a character! She became Hisao´s friend, like she already knew him, wanted to help him. I think none of the other characters would do that by themselves. But it is just my opinion. My Shizune path will be this weekend, so i hope I will more understand, and maybe i am just saying stupid things here. So please don´t hate! 8)

Enjoy the ride. You won't make many choices in her route. So, just be ready to read and enjoy.
"Nothing is beneath man. Everything is permitted."

"...since love and fear can hardly exist together, if we must choose between them, it is far safer to be feared than loved. However, it is important above all to avoid being hated."
rotorko

Post by rotorko »

YZQ wrote:Enjoy the ride. You won't make many choices in her route. So, just be ready to read and enjoy.
Thanks, i really know i will!
´...´ - Shizune!
Zailen

Post by Zailen »

Exactly as he said. Also! Be sure to enjoy the "little things" =D
rotorko

Post by rotorko »

Zailen wrote:Exactly as he said. Also! Be sure to enjoy the "little things" =D
I´m sure I will, thanks! :D
´...´ - Shizune!
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

rotorko wrote:I would like to step in too.

Shizune haters got problems. Ignore 'em. :lol:
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
Carighan

Post by Carighan »

Again a different avatar! Argh! :P

But yeah, the dislike of Shizune's arc in general is a weird one. I sort of understand it, I think each arc stands out for it's unique reasons though, so I find it odd that Shizune's uniqueness is singled out as much. Ah well, dem drills \o/
The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.
YZQ

Post by YZQ »

Carighan wrote:Again a different avatar! Argh! :P

But yeah, the dislike of Shizune's arc in general is a weird one. I sort of understand it, I think each arc stands out for it's unique reasons though, so I find it odd that Shizune's uniqueness is singled out as much. Ah well, dem drills \o/
At first glance, many players find Shizune a tough bitch. It's only much later that you see her gentler side, and her perceptiveness.
"Nothing is beneath man. Everything is permitted."

"...since love and fear can hardly exist together, if we must choose between them, it is far safer to be feared than loved. However, it is important above all to avoid being hated."
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

You don't like it?It's symbolic of how their alleged good ending is a complete lie and they'll forever be inextricably fused (figuratively) into a singular emotionally-mangled monstrosity for the rest of their natural-born lives. But hey, at least Hisao's still obliviously happy. :mrgreen:
Umber

Post by Umber »

Xanatos wrote:
You don't like it?It's symbolic of how their alleged good ending is a complete lie and they'll forever be inextricably fused (figuratively) into a singular emotionally-mangled monstrosity for the rest of their natural-born lives. But hey, at least Hisao's still obliviously happy. :mrgreen:
...Huh.
-An occasional art thread.
pig dissections and cadaver examinations.
rotorko

Post by rotorko »

Yeah, that is pretty much what i wanted to say. Every arc has something to it, it is different everywhere, even the same arcs can be slightly or more different. That is why i don´t understand shizune haters. This game has so much to it, and that is great that it even has more aspect. I for one respect all of them!
´...´ - Shizune!
Plasma

Post by Plasma »

Right, question:

I'm gonna start re-reading Shizune's arc again, after I first read it pretty much as soon as the game came out. Can you tell me something that won't make me hate it?

Okay, that's too vague. Basically, when I first played the demo, I loved it. Absolutely loved it. Shizune, being obsessed with competitions and games, and completely shunting all social norms in favour of what's the most fun, was amazing. Pretty much how I think everyone should be. The only character I've seen in anything to be in any way what I'd consider an ideal person.

Well, that was for Act 1. When the rest of the game came out, I felt really... disappointed. Shizune was still kinda Shizune, but she was much more normalised and a good deal less awesome. She was still competitive, but it was more of an implied competitive, where we don't get to see her actually competing in anything. I only remember her playing a single game of any sort past Act 1. As well as that, the overall story tended to focus way less on her and way more on Hisao or Misha, who's modus operandi was "whine to themselves and not do anything about their problems, especially talking to Shizune".

I think the worst of it was the family scene, with Jigoro. At the time, I was thinking "Heh, Jigoro's pretty cool. He acts tough and shouty, but that's just his normal state of mind, he's not actually perpetually pissed. I get why he must have trouble with his kids, but in smaller quantities I could totally get on well with him. If this was real life, I'd put myself in as the middle-man between him and his daughter and... oh my god, Hisao, are you whining in your inner monologue?! He's not actually serious, you doofus, just talk to him! Goddamnit Hisao why are you the protagonist?!"

Now, the last thing is that... I haven't seen anyone with this same opinion. Everyone else seems to have either loved or hated Shizune and her route from the beginning. So I'm wondering, am I missing something? Can someone give me one of the KS-patented Character Analysis(tm) about how I've got it all wrong? Or am I just completely not set out for relationship and romance novels considering I think that anyone not trying to solve their friendship problems by being bluntly honest with their friend is an idiot?
rotorko

Post by rotorko »

Plasma wrote:Right, question:

I'm gonna start re-reading Shizune's arc again, after I first read it pretty much as soon as the game came out. Can you tell me something that won't make me hate it?

Okay, that's too vague. Basically, when I first played the demo, I loved it. Absolutely loved it. Shizune, being obsessed with competitions and games, and completely shunting all social norms in favour of what's the most fun, was amazing. Pretty much how I think everyone should be. The only character I've seen in anything to be in any way what I'd consider an ideal person.

Well, that was for Act 1. When the rest of the game came out, I felt really... disappointed. Shizune was still kinda Shizune, but she was much more normalised and a good deal less awesome. She was still competitive, but it was more of an implied competitive, where we don't get to see her actually competing in anything. I only remember her playing a single game of any sort past Act 1. As well as that, the overall story tended to focus way less on her and way more on Hisao or Misha, who's modus operandi was "whine to themselves and not do anything about their problems, especially talking to Shizune".

I think the worst of it was the family scene, with Jigoro. At the time, I was thinking "Heh, Jigoro's pretty cool. He acts tough and shouty, but that's just his normal state of mind, he's not actually perpetually pissed. I get why he must have trouble with his kids, but in smaller quantities I could totally get on well with him. If this was real life, I'd put myself in as the middle-man between him and his daughter and... oh my god, Hisao, are you whining in your inner monologue?! He's not actually serious, you doofus, just talk to him! Goddamnit Hisao why are you the protagonist?!"

Now, the last thing is that... I haven't seen anyone with this same opinion. Everyone else seems to have either loved or hated Shizune and her route from the beginning. So I'm wondering, am I missing something? Can someone give me one of the KS-patented Character Analysis(tm) about how I've got it all wrong? Or am I just completely not set out for relationship and romance novels considering I think that anyone not trying to solve their friendship problems by being bluntly honest with their friend is an idiot?
I kind of see your point, and well, i might quite agree with you. I wouldn´t say the game is a dissapoinment though.
But most of all, I really welcome your comment on this. It is irregurlar, and I like your honesty. It really gave me another view on this arc.
´...´ - Shizune!