If you want to learn sign language:

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

metalangel

Re: If you want to learn sign language:

Post by metalangel »

Kutagh wrote:@Metalangel: FYI one of the reasons I didn't use a sign language interpreter but a written interpreter (spoken to PC) is because sign language needs a 100% focus: You have to focus visually on the signer or you will miss signs (and thus information). With the written interpreter there is basically a 'history' visible of the last 10-15 sentences, a 'sliding window' (as it is known in programming) so I can let my focus go for a bit, read a slide or page and then catch up on what I 'missed'. This allows me to operate like the average student who can just listen with the ears while reading a page or slide ;)
I've heard tales of (new) interpreters being unsure of what to do if their charge isn't paying attention to them or the teacher. The professional answer is: not your problem.
Kutagh

Post by Kutagh »

Exactly. It is the responsibility of the client to make sure they get the information they need. If they aren't interested into it, that is their problem. They're still being paid for it and they're an interpreter, not a nanny.

Currently checking out oovoo for video conferencing. Seems to allow up to 12 people.
Pseudogenesis

Post by Pseudogenesis »

Kutagh wrote: The pragmatist in me is pissed off because there's no universal spoken language across the globe... ;)
Aaugh, that too. Which is why I'm hoping English continues to spread and become the most "International" language, not because of an irrational favor of my native language, but because it's the closest any language has ever been to becoming a "universal" language. [citation needed]

metalangel wrote:
Pseudogenesis wrote:According to the page, American Sign Language is just one of many variations of sign language. As in ASL is spoken in the US and Britain
ASL is not spoken in Britain. BSL is. They are very different.
Oh, that's right. Mixed Britain up with Canada. Fix'd.

You're talking to my faulty short term memory, at the moment.

Back to the topic at hand, it's a bit disconcerting that Britain and the US speak different forms of sign language. Not too different, I hope.
The biggest dilemma in Katawa Shoujo:
'Should I recommend this to my friends or do I want them to continue to see me as mentally healthy?'

Mashup of the month: "Damn It Feels Good To Be a Cripple"
dwarduk

Post by dwarduk »

Pseudogenesis wrote:Back to the topic at hand, it's a bit disconcerting that Britain and the US speak different forms of sign language. Not too different, I hope.
I did a bit of reading about the differences a couple of weeks ago, and seem to remember that BSL uses facial expressions loads more than ASL, which would probably throw an ASL-user off with the crazy expressions :lol:
Meiko will be my waifu. I swear it on my honour. </Zuko>
Pseudogenesis

Post by Pseudogenesis »

I like it thus far. Very direct and logical. It isn't like English, or most other spoken languages, where most word choices are completely arbitrary. To say "You're pretty" involves moving your hands around the face in a specific way. This is gold for me, since I'm much more concerned with practicality than I am with aesthetics. I'll have to keep taking those lessons, so that I might be at least conversational by the time I can take a legitimate class. :D
The biggest dilemma in Katawa Shoujo:
'Should I recommend this to my friends or do I want them to continue to see me as mentally healthy?'

Mashup of the month: "Damn It Feels Good To Be a Cripple"
metalangel

Post by metalangel »

Pseudogenesis wrote:
Back to the topic at hand, it's a bit disconcerting that Britain and the US speak different forms of sign language. Not too different, I hope.
Very, unfortunately. When Americans looking to establish deaf education in the US came to Britain, they were shunned by the British deaf schools and so turned to the French.
dwarduk wrote: I did a bit of reading about the differences a couple of weeks ago, and seem to remember that BSL uses facial expressions loads more than ASL, which would probably throw an ASL-user off with the crazy expressions :lol:
You still use facial expressions in ASL, to add emphasis or emotion to stuff. Furrowing your brow makes something an open question, raising your eyebrows makes it a closed (yes/no) question, for example.
Myshina

Post by Myshina »

I learned Sign language after KS. I'm not as fluent as Misha, but I have enough practice that allows me to sign at a decent speed.

I used it to Cheat in a Test.
Xanatos wrote: Whips, of course. :P I don't do that submissive shit!
Kutagh

Post by Kutagh »

Myshina wrote:I learned Sign language after KS. I'm not as fluent as Misha, but I have enough practice that allows me to sign at a decent speed.

I used it to Cheat in a Test.
Well, I guess you're ahead of me at this stage, certainly in the signing aspect (though I could probably compete with you in the reading department if my signing vocabulary wasn't so limited) :P
Wahahahahahahahaha~ [/Misha laugh]
In my first year at high school, I used to sign with my interpreter when I was finished with the test. I couldn't stand just sitting on my ass and doing nothing while waiting for everyone else to finish >.> Unfortunately, after a couple months the teacher banned me from doing it during the tests =.=