If you want to learn sign language:

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Pseudogenesis

If you want to learn sign language:

Post by Pseudogenesis »

http://www.lifeprint.com/asl101/lessons/lessons.htm

I've heard this is an excellent resource. Video lessons'd probably be good too. Post whatever else you feel is extremely helpful, and we'll use it.

Join me in my inspired mushiness.
The biggest dilemma in Katawa Shoujo:
'Should I recommend this to my friends or do I want them to continue to see me as mentally healthy?'

Mashup of the month: "Damn It Feels Good To Be a Cripple"
Pseudogenesis

Re: If you want to learn sign language:

Post by Pseudogenesis »

I know, right? It's interestingly direct and common-sense for the most part, which I think I like. It'd be great to be at least conversational by the time I'm done with school this year, and be able to continue lessons in college.
'Should I recommend this to my friends or do I want them to continue to see me as mentally healthy?'

Helbereth

Post by Helbereth »

Pseudogenesis wrote:I know, right? It's interestingly direct and common-sense for the most part, which I think I like. It'd be great to be at least conversational by the time I'm done with school this year, and be able to continue lessons in college.
It's also an almost border-less language. There are variations across the world, but many of the practical signs are the same if not similar.
Pseudogenesis

Post by Pseudogenesis »

According to the page, American Sign Language is just one of many variations of sign language. As in ASL is spoken in the US and Canada, but not necessarily places like Japan or Brazil. >:| Which actually really pisses the pragmatist in me off. It would be so much more universal if sign language were standard in all countries, and it could even help bridge language barriers. You could maybe go to Germany and sign if somebody knew sign but not English. Shame that's not the way it turned out, especially considering that it's a fairly new language. Oh well. ASL is apparently the most used.
Last edited by Pseudogenesis on Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kutagh

Post by Kutagh »

Pseudogenesis wrote:According to the page, American Sign Language is just one of many variations of sign language. As in ASL is spoken in the US and Britain, but not necessarily places like Japan or Brazil. >:| Which actually really pisses the pragmatist in me off. It would be so much more universal if sign language were standard in all countries, and it could even help bridge language barriers. You could maybe go to Germany and sign if somebody knew sign but not English. Shame that's not the way it turned out, especially considering that it's a fairly new language. Oh well. ASL is apparently the most used.
The pragmatist in me is pissed off because there's no universal spoken language across the globe... ;) But Sign Language isn't globally developed by a group of Deaf cultures, its locally developed based on the own culture and needs. Here in the Netherlands, there were originally multiple sign languages developed based on the different clusters of the Deaf, in those 5 cities: Groningen, Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Voorburg and St. Michielsgestel. Those groups didn't have a lot of contact with each other when the sign languages were developed, leading to a whole range of differences between the dialects. Since 1981 those 5 'dialects' have been merged into one dialect. And that's just one tiny country where it happened, just imagine it on the scale of the USA or so, how many dialects might have been formed...

Anyway, I'm enrolled into an one-year academic minor on Dutch Sign Language. The most important thing when learning any sign language is practice, practice and practice. Don't practice and you'll steadily forget all but your most commonly used signs. I'm talking from experience ;)

[Edited to update info]
metalangel

Post by metalangel »

Pseudogenesis wrote:According to the page, American Sign Language is just one of many variations of sign language. As in ASL is spoken in the US and Britain
ASL is not spoken in Britain. BSL is. They are very different.
Which actually really pisses the pragmatist in me off. It would be so much more universal if sign language were standard in all countries, and it could even help bridge language barriers. You could maybe go to Germany and sign if somebody knew sign but not English. Shame that's not the way it turned out, especially considering that it's a fairly new language. Oh well. ASL is apparently the most used.
How dare people have come up with a language when they needed it, and not bothered registering for ISO-9000!

:P

Lifeprint is a useful assistant but it's no substitute for the real teaching from a fluent user, face to face. Speaking of which, my ASL college course starts in September. :D
Kutagh

Post by Kutagh »

metalangel wrote:
Pseudogenesis wrote:According to the page, American Sign Language is just one of many variations of sign language. As in ASL is spoken in the US and Britain
ASL is not spoken in Britain. BSL is. They are very different.
Which actually really pisses the pragmatist in me off. It would be so much more universal if sign language were standard in all countries, and it could even help bridge language barriers. You could maybe go to Germany and sign if somebody knew sign but not English. Shame that's not the way it turned out, especially considering that it's a fairly new language. Oh well. ASL is apparently the most used.
How dare people have come up with a language when they needed it, and not bothered registering for ISO-9000!

:P

Lifeprint is a useful assistant but it's no substitute for the real teaching from a fluent user, face to face. Speaking of which, my ASL college course starts in September. :D
Good luck, my NGT (Nederlandse GebarenTaal -> Dutch Sign Language) course also starts in September :) Small class though, <20 man. Am used to classes of 100+ man in my Computer Science bachelor :lol:
metalangel

Post by metalangel »

You need small classes sizes so you can all sit close to and with a clear view of the instructor. I'm looking forward to hearing how you get on with it all. I meanwhile have just paid out over $3000 in my tuition fees :(
Kutagh

Post by Kutagh »

metalangel wrote:You need small classes sizes so you can all sit close to and with a clear view of the instructor. I'm looking forward to hearing how you get on with it all. I meanwhile have just paid out over $3000 in my tuition fees :(
Yeah, I know that you need small class size, it still is gonna getting used to sitting in a small room with like 15 others and the teacher instead of a big lecture room with rows and rows of chairs...
And luckily I don't have to pay extra tuition fees for my sign language minor since I'm already paying tuition fees to my current university and the government somehow managed to set it up so you don't need to pay tuition fees to multiple universities (yes I know, amazing that they managed that... :P ) so I'm waiting till my current university withdraws the €1800 worth of tuition fees from my account.
You should also let us know how your classes go... Perhaps we should do a videoconference sometimes? :P
ZXRN

Post by ZXRN »

ooo quite interesting indeed, might actually try this out for fun. Who knows, might help in the future.
I'll do my best to be my Emiest.
Gandara

Post by Gandara »

metalangel wrote:Speaking of which, my ASL college course starts in September. :D
Ooh, me too! Though I have to register for it yet, since my web registration was finnicky with that class. I'm going for a completely unrelated degree, but they have an ASL intro class at my college and it's only like $80 for the semester. I'm okay with this.

We should totally set up a video chat for KS nerds to practice signing. =]
Diet / Exercise Tracker:
Original weight (1/1/12): 400 lbs. // Target weight: ??? lbs. // Current (1/28/13): 344 lbs. // Total lost: 56 lbs.
Current exercise: Workout 3-4x a week: jogging, weights
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies." - Andy Dufresne, "The Shawshank Redemption"
metalangel

Post by metalangel »

Kutagh wrote:
metalangel wrote:You need small classes sizes so you can all sit close to and with a clear view of the instructor. I'm looking forward to hearing how you get on with it all. I meanwhile have just paid out over $3000 in my tuition fees :(
Yeah, I know that you need small class size, it still is gonna getting used to sitting in a small room with like 15 others and the teacher instead of a big lecture room with rows and rows of chairs...
Yeah, which means no falling asleep/playing Diablo 3 at the back for you!
You should also let us know how your classes go... Perhaps we should do a videoconference sometimes? :P
I will... once we've had a few months of it and are at a basic conversational level, seeing just how closely related Dutch and American (both are from the French Sign family) are could be amusing.
Megumeru

Post by Megumeru »

Oooh...

hell, why not? You learn something new everyday so why not? Knowledge is power after all :D
They say they hate Shizune? What is this? BLASPHEMY!

SHII-HAEL!
Shizune>Rin>Emi>Hanako>Lilly
"A writer is a light that reveals the world of his story from darkness. Shapes it from nothingness. If the writer stops, the world dies with it." - Alan Wake
Yes, I write stories. Currently working on: The Haunting: A Love Story
Kutagh

Post by Kutagh »

@Metalangel: FYI one of the reasons I didn't use a sign language interpreter but a written interpreter (spoken to PC) is because sign language needs a 100% focus: You have to focus visually on the signer or you will miss signs (and thus information). With the written interpreter there is basically a 'history' visible of the last 10-15 sentences, a 'sliding window' (as it is known in programming) so I can let my focus go for a bit, read a slide or page and then catch up on what I 'missed'. This allows me to operate like the average student who can just listen with the ears while reading a page or slide ;)
Anyway I don't game or sleep during lectures. I might be reading unrelated material or browse the web but I know the trade-off I'm making and I usually still pay attention to the interpreted text so I don't miss what is being said.

Oh and I'll check out how to do a video-conference. So far Skype is a no-go since it is only free for 1-on-1 video chatting...