That part about "comforting"

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

YZQ

That part about "comforting"

Post by YZQ »

Call me slow, but I sort-of recently realised that there is a pretty well-known case of "comforting" having the same meaning as KS. In A Song of Ice and Fire, Robb Stark said the same thing to his mother when she asked why he slept with his bride.

"She... comforted me, mother."
"Nothing is beneath man. Everything is permitted."

"...since love and fear can hardly exist together, if we must choose between them, it is far safer to be feared than loved. However, it is important above all to avoid being hated."
Xanatos

Re: That part about "comforting"

Post by Xanatos »

KS isn't the first to use that meaning. Where do you think they got it? :lol:
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
Umber

Post by Umber »

Maybe Misha was into fantasy literature at the time (though that seems more likely for Hanako).

When you say that it was the 'reason' he slept with his bride, you could throw in the undying debate of how comfort should be interpreted in terms of the Misha scene's context and literal/implied definitions. And that's when I turn into the ever-so-neutral Switzerland.

By the way, you're not that slow compared to me; I've never read A Song of Ice and Fire, now excuse me while I go cry in a corner.
-An occasional art thread.
pig dissections and cadaver examinations.
YZQ

Post by YZQ »

Well, it was that one line, easily missed out of the thousands of lines in the series, and certainly not the most memetic even among the "love" lines.

"The things I do for love."

@Umber: If you don't have the time, Tvtropes has an excellent description. It is not for the faint of heart or the scrupulous.

"...since love and fear can hardly exist together, if we must choose between them, it is far safer to be feared than loved. However, it is important above all to avoid being hated."
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Umber wrote:Maybe Misha was into fantasy literature at the time
I find that unlikely...But I can't shake the mental image.
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
KeiichiO

Post by KeiichiO »

YZQ wrote:@Umber: If you don't have the time, Tvtropes has an excellent description. It is not for the faint of heart or the scrupulous.
I probably have the faintest of hearts out of the people I know, and I love the series. I'm not too far, though. The Red Wedding gave me nightmares...
YZQ

Post by YZQ »

The Red Wedding was the episode which convinced me that Martin was a closet The Art of War fan. Don't know your lessons from the book? You get bumped off.

KeiichiO

Post by KeiichiO »

YZQ wrote:The Red Wedding was the episode which convinced me that Martin was a closet The Art of War fan. Don't know your lessons from the book? You get bumped off.
Oh, he's very realistic when writing of war. There is no mercy on the battlefield.
Guest Poster

Post by Guest Poster »

The alternative meaning of "to comfort" is probably a well-known euphemism in Japan. The sexual meaning of the word is older than WW2.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comfort_women
Sisterhood: True Edition. Hanako epilogue I wrote. Now expanded with additional chapters.
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Guest Poster wrote:The alternative meaning of "to comfort" is probably a well-known euphemism in Japan. The sexual meaning of the word is older than WW2.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comfort_women
I was never aware it wasn't a common euphemism until people here went all "WTF" over that scene... :lol:
Guest Poster

Post by Guest Poster »

You and me both, it seems.
Sisterhood: True Edition. Hanako epilogue I wrote. Now expanded with additional chapters.
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Wow, I didn't realize Gam of Thrones has been around so long... It probably wasn't hyped that much back in 2007 and certainly not in Japan, though.
Also, term "comfort women" hasn't quite the same meaning as the action "to comfort women," though the former may well be the origin of the latter.

It is quite common, though and was probably familiar to anyone who had read one or two VNs before. It did induce some minor eye-rolling in me, though, since the term is quite corny and probably not somthing Hisao would use in his inner monologue. It's something I wanted to point out during the beta, but I'm not sure if I remembered to do so.
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
MegaMoto

Post by MegaMoto »

Xanatos wrote:
Umber wrote:Maybe Misha was into fantasy literature at the time
I find that unlikely...But I can't shake the mental image.
All I see now is Misha with a pitch fork and torch after finding out about the RED WEDDING.