Career Day

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

YZQ

Re: Career Day

Post by YZQ »

Dream wrote:
Sgt Spice wrote:Didn't Rin herself say that painting is really the only things she could do well? But regardless you bring up a good point. Both with the teaching and career part. But don't you think it could be possible for her to find pleasure in painting and also get paid for doing it? She has to find something for her future, but I guess it could really be anything. Rin finds a way.
Rin is a fucked up teenager who barely even understand herself, her self assesment is about as reliable and accurate as Shinji Ikari's.
Xanatos wrote:Of course she'd say that. It's all she ever tries to do. :lol: She could always go the Da Vinci/deviantart route and just take commissions. :lol:
Man i love how you connected Da Vinci and Deviantart with the same slash :lol:
Lenardo did take commissions to support himself. If memory serves me well, by all accounts, he was relatively well off throughout his life. Of course, he did way more than just doing commissions.

As for Rin, she has to realise that her goal of using her art as a form of communication is not working, and she needs an alternative.
"Nothing is beneath man. Everything is permitted."

"...since love and fear can hardly exist together, if we must choose between them, it is far safer to be feared than loved. However, it is important above all to avoid being hated."
Sgt Spice

Post by Sgt Spice »

YZQ wrote:
Dream wrote:
Rin is a fucked up teenager who barely even understand herself, her self assesment is about as reliable and accurate as Shinji Ikari's.

As for Rin, she has to realise that her goal of using her art as a form of communication is not working, and she needs an alternative.
I wouldn't say Rin is fucked up, she is just troubled. And in both the good and neutral endings she realizes things about herself, so I would say her self assessment of herself is greatly improved by the end of the story, especially in the good end. So in the future when she is trying to obtain a career, I would think her self assessment would have improved even more since then.

She also realizes that her art isn't an adequate form of communication, and she also learns that the needs to find an alternative. Especially in the good end.
Rin Kin
I have a very strong Rin-bias
"Just be"
pandaphil

Post by pandaphil »

It may sound rather psyco-babblish, but she just needs help finding herself. Figuring out who she is as a person and where she fits in. Thats something most teenagers have to go through. Except most have some sort of support system.

Makes you wonder what her parents were like to let her get to this state.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." ~ The Doctor.
Sgt Spice

Post by Sgt Spice »

pandaphil wrote:It may sound rather psyco-babblish, but she just needs help finding herself. Figuring out who she is as a person and where she fits in. Thats something most teenagers have to go through. Except most have some sort of support system.

Yes exactly this. That's why I like the good ending so much, because Hisao and Rin find some common ground and take the first step to really finding out who they are.

I also wonder about Rin's parents. I don't think she mentions them at all.
Rin Kin
I have a very strong Rin-bias
"Just be"
Steinherz

Post by Steinherz »

Sgt Spice wrote:
pandaphil wrote:It may sound rather psyco-babblish, but she just needs help finding herself. Figuring out who she is as a person and where she fits in. Thats something most teenagers have to go through. Except most have some sort of support system.

Yes exactly this. That's why I like the good ending so much, because Hisao and Rin find some common ground and take the first step to really finding out who they are.

I also wonder about Rin's parents. I don't think she mentions them at all.
I think the reason why she doesn't mention her parents is this: It's unimportant to her story.
Why mention something if it doesn't add anything?
I write take a look, would you kindly?
I also draw, kind of.
KeiichiO wrote:You shall now, and forever be known as, "Steinherz, The Great".
Oddball wrote:It's an obvious mistake. Both are disfigured orphans that read alot and both wear green skirts.
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

Nomiya said he checked with her parents to see if ditching school for a while to do the art exhibit was okay, and they approved. That's the only time they're mentioned.

It's not like Hisao talks much about his family either.
Not Dead Yet
pandaphil

Post by pandaphil »

Parents do seem pretty clueless in this story. Most seem more intent on shuffling their kids off to some special school rather than giving them the help and support they need. And that's just depressing.

Emi's mom is cool, but even she admits she just hopes her daughter grows out of her distancing phase.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." ~ The Doctor.
Steinherz

Post by Steinherz »

pandaphil wrote:Parents do seem pretty clueless in this story. Most seem more intent on shuffling their kids off to some special school rather than giving them the help and support they need. And that's just depressing.

Emi's mom is cool, but even she admits she just hopes her daughter grows out of her distancing phase.
I agree with you there.
Meiko - The best parent (compared to the others). She genuienly cares about her daughter.
Jigoro - Well, I think we know where Shizune's stubbornness comes from XD. He's the guy that everyone loves... to hate. Truthfully I think Jigoro wants to understand Shizune, but his stubbornness/major ego makes it difficult to try to bring himself off his high horse to learn who his daughter is.
Hisao's Parents - Unimportant
Rin's Parents - Mentioned only
Lilly's Parents - Seems they don't care.
I also draw, kind of.
Oddball wrote:It's an obvious mistake. Both are disfigured orphans that read alot and both wear green skirts.
pandaphil

Post by pandaphil »

Steinherz wrote:
pandaphil wrote:Parents do seem pretty clueless in this story. Most seem more intent on shuffling their kids off to some special school rather than giving them the help and support they need. And that's just depressing.

I agree with you there.
Meiko - The best parent (compared to the others). She genuienly cares about her daughter.
Jigoro - Well, I think we know where Shizune's stubbornness comes from XD. He's the guy that everyone loves... to hate. Truthfully I think Jigoro wants to understand Shizune, but his stubbornness/major ego makes it difficult to try to bring himself off his high horse to learn who his daughter is.

Hisao's parents may not have been bad, but they were too busy dealing with their careers to back him up. Though it seems they at least tried.

Lilly's mom didn't seem too bad. It was her dad who I got the impression considered the girls a bother. Maybe she was the old fashioned sort who deferred to her husbands wishes.

You can imagine that a sensitive girl like Hanako had good parents. At least her mom died trying to protect her.
Steinherz

Post by Steinherz »

pandaphil wrote: Hisao's parents may not have been bad, but they were too busy dealing with their careers to back him up. Though it seems they at least tried.

Lilly's mom didn't seem too bad. It was her dad who I got the impression considered the girls a bother. Maybe she was the old fashioned sort who deferred to her husbands wishes.

You can imagine that a sensitive girl like Hanako had good parents. At least her mom died trying to protect her.
That's what I got with Lilly's parents. Her mom seemed nice, her father however...
And I agree with the thing about Hanako's parents.
I also draw, kind of.
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

YZQ wrote:Lenardo did take commissions to support himself.
Hopefully Rin wouldn't procrastinate as much as he did. :lol:
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
Umber

Post by Umber »

Steinherz wrote:I think the reason why she doesn't mention her parents is this: It's unimportant to her story.
Being able to think about a set number of things at any given time, or stating that if Hisao was a girl, Rin would be able to see his panties.

Despite everything, it still feels right when Rin says something out of place, maybe because I'd gotten so used to expecting her to speak for the sake of speaking. That makes some sense. I think.

Wonder how Rin would fare in a speech/debate team.
-An occasional art thread.
pig dissections and cadaver examinations.
YZQ

Post by YZQ »

Steinherz wrote:

I agree with you there.
For Jigoro, I would add that he probably hopes that Shizune can fit into Japanese society, given that she starts as such an outlier. I mentioned Weekends at Hisao's before. There, once Shizune proved that she can get her life on track darn well (marriage, finished Uni), Jigoro basically let it go.
"Nothing is beneath man. Everything is permitted."

"...since love and fear can hardly exist together, if we must choose between them, it is far safer to be feared than loved. However, it is important above all to avoid being hated."
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Umber wrote:
Steinherz wrote:I think the reason why she doesn't mention her parents is this: It's unimportant to her story.
Being able to think about a set number of things at any given time, or stating that if Hisao was a girl, Rin would be able to see his panties.
Both of those add something though. Her rambling about her parents wouldn't add anything.
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
Umber

Post by Umber »

Xanatos wrote:
Umber wrote:
Both of those add something though. Her rambling about her parents wouldn't add anything.
You missed the line right under that one :(
-An occasional art thread.
pig dissections and cadaver examinations.