Hanako's Story Changed Me

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Ikezawas

Hanako's Story Changed Me

Post by Ikezawas »

Hi everyone.

Honestly I don't really know why I'm posting this up. Maybe it's just to see if anyone out there can relate.I know there's been a lot of memes out there about 'teh feeeeelz' or something. But really I don't care. The story in Katawa Shoujo helped me to realize I had a problem and helped me sort it. A game changed my life, and I'm OK with that.

Hanako was the second to last story I played through after finding the game about a month or two ago. At some point I realized I was nearly as shy as her character and it set me to thinking about all the things I've been missing. For years I've been missing out on life. I've been hiding away since high school, straight through university and for the last few years when I've been working. Ever since my play through a few months back I've been making some serious changes. I read through a bunch of articles and sites (like http://overshyness.com/ and http://www.psychologytoday.com/basics/shyness for anyone interested). I've changed my life in a positive way. I'm getting out more and got involved in a whole bunch of new activities. I'm planning a trip through Europe - traveling by myself and I just generally feel much better about myself.

Most of this change came from realizing there was a problem. I wasn't happy with where I was in life. But somehow that game was the wake up call which inspired me to make the change. Thank you Katawa Shoujo for changing my life.

You may now commence the flaming. ;)

Cheers guys, thanks for reading.
Brogurt

Re: Hanako's Story Changed Me

Post by Brogurt »

Hanako got flamed once and it made her more shy so I don't know why you're inviting us to flame you
ravenlord

Post by ravenlord »

A lot of people of been there, done that, me included. You are in good company :)

Search the "Thank you" thread and do a forum search on Hanako topics. Yuo will see a lot of the same, and you will see that you are not alone. Welcome, enjoy your stay at the forums, and ignore any trolls that yuo see along the way ;)
Hanako>Shizune>Lilly>Emi>Rin {100% complete}
"痘痕も靨" (If there is love, then smallpox scars are as pretty as dimples) ~ Japanese proverb
Mint

Post by Mint »

The assumption that your post would warrant negative responses from the community made me frown a bit.
Your suspicion that this community is full of immature little brats who have nothing better to do than berate each other for no plausible reason is a bit out of place and just a tad offensive, but I'll let that slide. I'm sure you meant well with what you said.

Now, onto the topic at hand.
Everything that you said you felt after playing through Katawa Shoujo was, for a lack of better term, the point. That is why this brilliant piece of art exists. To give us these "feels". Because emotions trigger actions. And Katawa Shoujo knows just how to trigger the emotions that trigger actions. It's a complex domino process that ends up in people realizing exactly what they want to change in their lives. That's the beauty of it.

I'm happy for you because you managed to change yourself for the better and I'm sure 4LS would also be happy to hear their work left a positive impact.
mysterycycle

Post by mysterycycle »

Mint wrote:The assumption that your post would warrant negative responses from the community made me frown a bit.
You say that as though it doesn't happen. Especially in Hanako-themed threads.
You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be the better person.
ImageImage
Couch to 5k with Emi: WD123 W2D123 W3D123 W4D123 W5D123 W6D123 W7D123 W8D123 W9D123
I'm making a Katawa Shoujo doujinshi!
My deviantArt
yummines

Post by yummines »

Brogurt wrote:Hanako got flamed once and it made her more shy so I don't know why you're inviting us to flame you
Well played Brogurt. Well played.

As for me i came to that conclusion a while ago but seem not to have the will nor guts to change
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

mysterycycle wrote:
Mint wrote:The assumption that your post would warrant negative responses from the community made me frown a bit.
You're going to find the occasional jerk wherever you go. Most people around here are pretty decent though.
Not Dead Yet
misterprinny

Post by misterprinny »

Oddball wrote:
mysterycycle wrote:
You're going to find the occasional jerk wherever you go. Most people around here are pretty decent though.
Yeah, the KS community is pretty tame compared to the rest of the Internet.
Head Editor at Stewart-Class 7 Studios, an OELVN studio similar to 4LS. Please check out our blog and website and our forums.
Snow_Storm

Post by Snow_Storm »

Brogurt wrote:Hanako got flamed once and it made her more shy so I don't know why you're inviting us to flame you
lol that's fucked up.

mysterycycle wrote:
Only because it's fun picking on the most overrated character in the game!
Mint

Post by Mint »

Snow_Storm wrote:Only because it's fun picking on the most overrated character in the game!
Opinions are like a penis. You know how the rest of the joke goes.

And I agree with Oddball completely. The occasional asshat exists regardless of where you are. There is no such thing as a perfect community.
But the KS community is far friendlier and more accepting when compared with other internet communities. We still have the on again off again chode with nothing better to do but attempt to ruin people's fun, examples vary as you can plainly see, but overall there's a much friendlier atmosphere around.
ravenlord

Post by ravenlord »

Oddball wrote:You're going to find the occasional jerk wherever you go. Most people around here are pretty decent though.
And we have an ignore list, which I find weeds out most of those trolls. My list isn't even that long, but it is pretty effective. Plus most trolls get bored and move on eventually anyway.
Hanako>Shizune>Lilly>Emi>Rin {100% complete}
"痘痕も靨" (If there is love, then smallpox scars are as pretty as dimples) ~ Japanese proverb
Pseudogenesis

Post by Pseudogenesis »

*ba dum tss*
Mint wrote: Everything that you said you felt after playing through Katawa Shoujo was, for a lack of better term, the point. That is why this brilliant piece of art exists. To give us these "feels". Because emotions trigger actions. And Katawa Shoujo knows just how to trigger the emotions that trigger actions. It's a complex domino process that ends up in people realizing exactly what they want to change in their lives. That's the beauty of it.

I doubt there's a better way to phrase how awesome KS is.
The biggest dilemma in Katawa Shoujo:
'Should I recommend this to my friends or do I want them to continue to see me as mentally healthy?'

Mashup of the month: "Damn It Feels Good To Be a Cripple"
mysterycycle

Post by mysterycycle »

Mint wrote:
Snow_Storm wrote:Only because it's fun picking on the most overrated character in the game!
Opinions are like a penis. You know how the rest of the joke goes.

And I agree with Oddball completely. The occasional asshat exists regardless of where you are. There is no such thing as a perfect community.
But the KS community is far friendlier and more accepting when compared with other internet communities. We still have the on again off again chode with nothing better to do but attempt to ruin people's fun, examples vary as you can plainly see, but overall there's a much friendlier atmosphere around.
This is true. The KS community is one of the kindest ones I've found online.
You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be the better person.
ImageImage
Couch to 5k with Emi: WD123 W2D123 W3D123 W4D123 W5D123 W6D123 W7D123 W8D123 W9D123
I'm making a Katawa Shoujo doujinshi!
My deviantArt
Surreal-mind

Post by Surreal-mind »

mysterycycle wrote: The KS community is one of the kindest ones I've found online.
It's the ONLY kind community I've ever seen online :lol:

Everyone here is super cool and friendly.
Oh man .... I wish we could all become friends in real life.
dwarduk

Post by dwarduk »

Surreal-mind wrote:
mysterycycle wrote: The KS community is one of the kindest ones I've found online.
It's the ONLY kind community I've ever seen online :lol:

Everyone here is super cool and friendly.
Oh man .... I wish we could all become friends in real life.
There's a reason I've stuck around. I don't normally stay on a forum for very long. =]
Meiko will be my waifu. I swear it on my honour. </Zuko>