Mac Native Visual Novels

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Riotnoob

Mac Native Visual Novels

Post by Riotnoob »

First of all, I apologize in advance if there's been a thread similar to this. But like most of you, Katawa Shoujo was my introduction to the visual novel genre and it just blew me away. However, the biggest issue I have with visual novels is that they aren't very accessible to Mac users (which I was so fortunately blessed with when I found out that KS was native on Macs).

My question is: are there any good visual novels that are native to Macs? I've searched through some amateur flash-based ones on Renai, but no luck. I've also been looking for a way to get Tsukihime and Fate/Stay Night running on my Macbook.

I'm familiar with running a virtual machine, but I'm not quite sure how to set that up (it requires a PC cd-rom which I don't have). I apologize for my tech-incompetencies, but any help with directing me to native VNs would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Riotnoob.
Megumeru

Re: Mac Native Visual Novels

Post by Megumeru »

Just as 'Touhou wasn't meant for mac', so is VNs...? :lol:

I thought bootcamp can make windows-oriented program run in Mac books? I'm not a Mac-techie--or a user for that matter--but I've seen my younger sister use boot camp or something; might worth checking it out.

Other than that, I believe there aren't any VNs compatible with Mac. Google it maybe...?
They say they hate Shizune? What is this? BLASPHEMY!

SHII-HAEL!
Shizune>Rin>Emi>Hanako>Lilly
"A writer is a light that reveals the world of his story from darkness. Shapes it from nothingness. If the writer stops, the world dies with it." - Alan Wake
Yes, I write stories. Currently working on: The Haunting: A Love Story
demonix

Post by demonix »

Megumeru wrote:I thought bootcamp can make windows-oriented program run in Mac books? I'm not a Mac-techie--or a user for that matter--but I've seen my younger sister use boot camp or something; might worth checking it out.

Other than that, I believe there aren't any VNs compatible with Mac. Google it maybe...?
If memory serves bootcamp is just a virtual machine for macs and would require a copy of windows to work.

There are a few VN's for MAC but they won't work on non PPC models that have OSX lion (I think as I keep getting things mucked up) installed as they removed compatibility for programs that only ran on the older PPC macs.

Also if memory serves there should be a mac version of wine (that is if my memory is correct).
acewing905

Post by acewing905 »

demonix wrote: If memory serves bootcamp is just a virtual machine for macs and would require a copy of windows to work.
Bootcamp is not a virtual machine. It allows Windows to be run natively on a Mac. That's the best option for any Mac gamer/VN fan.
it requires a PC cd-rom which I don't have
Do you mean your Mac doesn't have an optical drive? Or do you mean you don't have a copy of Windows?
Riotnoob

Post by Riotnoob »

Do you mean your Mac doesn't have an optical drive? Or do you mean you don't have a copy of Windows?[/quote]

I don't have a copy of Windows... Is there a way around that to set up a virtual machine on my Mac?
acewing905

Post by acewing905 »

Riotnoob wrote:
Do you mean your Mac doesn't have an optical drive? Or do you mean you don't have a copy of Windows?
I don't have a copy of Windows... Is there a way around that to set up a virtual machine on my Mac?
No way to do that legally, I'm afraid.

However, you can use Wine. http://www.winehq.org/ Several VNs (eg: Muv Luv series) will work on this after configuring proper regional settings.

Might be a little troublesome setting it up on Mac, though. http://wiki.winehq.org/MacOSX

Even then, if you're a big fan of VNs, a copy of Windows would be worth it, I'd think. But if you're using VNs just to kill time or something, just check out VNDB's list of VNs available natively for MacOS. http://vndb.org/v/all?q=;fil=tagspoil-0.plat-mac;o=d;s=rating