Sharin no Kuni, Himawari no Shoujo

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

newnar

Sharin no Kuni, Himawari no Shoujo

Post by newnar »

KS was my first VN, it was an awesome experience and thus I wasn't slow to ask around for other games of similar genre. This is one of the most commonly recommended VNs I got wind of. However when I played it, it really disgusted me from the start as the MC was extremely arrogant and he was nothing like Hisao at all. I couldn't even go on because of his comments which really make me go "WTF is wrong with this guy?". Yet this game has received insane ratings. Issit just me that feels like this? Please try the game and enlighten.
Ivan The Mouse

Re: Sharin no Kuni, Himawari no Shoujo

Post by Ivan The Mouse »

Delve deeper, man. Just delve deeper. Finish the game.
Warning:

This poster is prone to fits of auto-pilot typing, in which he will make posts with butchered grammar and sentence structure without knowing it.
encrypted12345

Post by encrypted12345 »

newnar wrote:KS was my first VN, it was an awesome experience and thus I wasn't slow to ask around for other games of similar genre. This is one of the most commonly recommended VNs I got wind of. However when I played it, it really disgusted me from the start as the MC was extremely arrogant and he was nothing like Hisao at all. I couldn't even go on because of his comments which really make me go "WTF is wrong with this guy?". Yet this game has received insane ratings. Issit just me that feels like this? Please try the game and enlighten.
He gets better and more likable as the game goes on. He's a more likable guy than the protagonist of G-Senjou at least.

The game received high ratings because of it's epic and emotional story. It's very different from Katawa Shoujo to say the least.
newnar

Post by newnar »

The problem is that this guy keeps asserting that he's some kind of master of psychology, and he deals with everyone so damn pragmatically I can't tell if his actions are real or just "acting".
encrypted12345

Post by encrypted12345 »

newnar wrote:The problem is that this guy keeps asserting that he's some kind of master of psychology, and he deals with everyone so damn pragmatically I can't tell if his actions are real or just "acting".
How far are you? In any case, he's training for a government position where he needs to learn how to do just that. Just look at Houzuki.

Recognize that the society that the story takes place is significantly different from our society and just go with the flow. Oh, and go for Hinata Natsumi. The game feels quite awkward otherwise.
newnar

Post by newnar »

encrypted12345 wrote:
newnar wrote:The problem is that this guy keeps asserting that he's some kind of master of psychology, and he deals with everyone so damn pragmatically I can't tell if his actions are real or just "acting".
How far are you? In any case, he's training for a government position where he needs to learn how to do just that. Just look at Houzuki.

Recognize that the society that the story takes place is significantly different from our society and just go with the flow. Oh, and go for Hinata Natsumi. The game feels quite awkward otherwise.

I dunno, the entire society system seems really weird. Those who break the law are forced to live under obligations, am I right? And this group of normal people called high class individual dudes become like Gods residing over these "criminals". They practically have utter control over those with "obligations". Somehow these "criminals" live together with normal people as well, it's all very confusing. MC's test is to try to live in a certain school and analyze all the "criminals", if I'm not wrong? Houzuki seems like a complete douche.

I think Natsumi just ditched me outside her room. And I just ditched Sachi. Never liked Sachi. I'm at the start of the special day of the year where the "criminals" are all free men(or women).
Samsa

Post by Samsa »

As someone who didn't like the game, it pains me a bit to say that he does get a bit more likeable and there's at least a reason behind his actions that's revealed later on.

Honestly, I wouldn't say it's worth playing through the entire game if you want the full story. As interesting as the story is, everything else just detracts from it. It's really nothing like KS: The characters aren't nearly as deep and the only things that make them interesting are the obligations. And even then, it's not enough to offset how utterly generic they are. If you really want the story, I'd just recommend looking up spoilers.

Plus, I was easily able to hold all my feels.
newnar

Post by newnar »

I have to agree with the generic part. All the girls seem to have popped out of a stereotyping mould.
encrypted12345

Post by encrypted12345 »

newnar wrote:
I dunno, the entire society system seems really weird. Those who break the law are forced to live under obligations, am I right? And this group of normal people called high class individual dudes become like Gods residing over these "criminals". They practically have utter control over those with "obligations". Somehow these "criminals" live together with normal people as well, it's all very confusing. MC's test is to try to live in a certain school and analyze all the "criminals", if I'm not wrong? Houzuki seems like a complete douche.

I think Natsumi just ditched me outside her room. And I just ditched Sachi. Never liked Sachi. I'm at the start of the special day of the year where the "criminals" are all free men(or women).
More or less, except you're wrong about the Special High Class Individuals being normal. They endure unbelievably hellish training (the game gives you some specifics later.) The game does give some justification as to why a society would go with this system instead of say, a prison system. They are trying to cure criminals, not punish them. They consider prisons like ours inefficient for this purpose. The goal of Special High Class Individuals is to cure these people and sometimes, people need tough love. Which is why Houzuki is a douche.

Ah, yes. The story should get interesting on your side soon.

Yeah, most good VNs have a great story and mostly generic characters. Katawa Shoujo has a good story but unmatched characterization, so is pretty damn unique. I only shed a few tears at CLANNAD and that was near the end. I suffered from a severe case of catharsis for a couple of weeks after KS (the most I usually get is a few days.) Even now, I feel a bit empty.
Last edited by encrypted12345 on Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
newnar

Post by newnar »

encrypted12345 wrote:
newnar wrote:

More or less, except you're wrong about the Special High Class Individuals being normal. They endure unbelievably hellish training (the game gives you some specifics later.) The game does give some justification as to why a society would go with this system instead of say, a prison system. They are trying to cure criminals, not punish them. They consider prisons like ours inefficient for this purpose. The goal of Special High Class Individuals is to cure these people and sometimes, people need tough love. Which is why Houzuki is a douche.

Ah, yes. The story should get interesting on your side soon.

Yeah, most good VNs have a great story and mostly generic characters. Katawa Shoujo has a good story but unmatched characterization. KS is pretty damn unique.

Still, I can never justify to myself how a social system that legalizes slavery works. The reformees are slaves to the commando-trained high class dudes. EVERYTHING is in their hands. How can you trust a person with that kind of power?

And yea, I think I got Natsumi back on the trip. I really am into Touka though.
encrypted12345

Post by encrypted12345 »

newnar wrote:
Still, I can never justify to myself how a social system that legalizes slavery works. The reformees are slaves to the commando-trained high class dudes. EVERYTHING is in their hands. How can you trust a person with that kind of power?

I thought of it as a form of imprisonment rather than slavery. They are criminals after all and the Individuals are the wardens. Eventually, their society will make a bit more sense when Kenichi starts criticizing our society for being backwards. It's quite a fascinating case of Cultural Dissonance.
newnar

Post by newnar »

encrypted12345 wrote:
newnar wrote:

I thought of it as a form of imprisonment rather than slavery. They are criminals after all and the Individuals are the wardens. Eventually, their society will make a bit more sense when Kenichi starts criticizing our society for being backwards. It's quite a fascinating case of Cultural Dissonance.
Yea but wardens have a limit of what they can do to the prisoner. For one, the wardens don't decide the length of your sentence. I guess their legal system fails to address the fact that even Special High Class Individuals can be selfish and they can make wrong decisions. That's why the modern legal system doesn't judge based on one single person's perspective.

Well the story is getting quite interesting as it goes on but I think character development may have stalled for almost a century.
encrypted12345

Post by encrypted12345 »

newnar wrote:
Yea but wardens have a limit of what they can do to the prisoner. For one, the wardens don't decide the length of your sentence. I guess their legal system fails to address the fact that even Special High Class Individuals can be selfish and they can make wrong decisions. That's why the modern legal system doesn't judge based on one single person's perspective.

Well the story is getting quite interesting as it goes on but I think character development may have stalled for almost a century.
Can't argue with you about the characterization. It's quite lacking compared to Katawa Shoujo though the plot of the VN does make up for it. Nevertheless, the protagonist does get some interesting Characterization, at least to the point that I liked him more. You'll see.

Oh, and I almost forgot. This society is basically what would have happened if we listened to Plato instead of Aristotle. Plato believed that a nation should be ruled by sages, learned men, or as this game would call it, Special High Class Individuals (which would be an oligarchy) rather than by the common man (which Aristotle supported and called democracy)