The Shanghai

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

russianspy1234

The Shanghai

Post by russianspy1234 »

It never seems to have any customers aside from which ever girls Hisao is there with, and they are the ones to introduce him to it and imply to go there often, yet you never see any of the girls from other paths when you are there. How does it stay in business with so few customers? Because it serves as the establishment of choice for Hisao in every path, at the same time. It even serves for paths that don't exist: Hisao and Miki hang out there, as do Hisao and Sae, and there's even a dimension where Hisao goes there just to see Yuuko again, and one where Nurse suggests a walk there and drinking green tea with its antioxidants with the pretense of it being just to make Hisao healthier. The Shanghai doesn't have so few customers, it has billions of customers. That's why Yuuko is so stressed out all of the time.
themocaw

Re: The Shanghai

Post by themocaw »

So you're saying the Shangahi is Callahan's Crosstime Saloon?
bradpara

Post by bradpara »

Also, has anyone else noticed that while one of the main running gags of Shizune's route is that The Shanghai is always empty save for her, Misha and Hisao whenever they visit, while in all the other routes, its about as busy as you'd expect.
Shizune=Hanako>Lilly>Emi=Rin
Family Game Night A Shizune After Story Fic
zanzarra

Post by zanzarra »

Huh. I figured that it was just a front for money laundering. But your theory sounds good.
One day I'll put more than 15 minutes of work into an avatar. One day.
Ivan The Mouse

Post by Ivan The Mouse »

bradpara wrote:Also, has anyone else noticed that while one of the main running gags of Shizune's route is that The Shanghai is always empty save for her, Misha and Hisao whenever they visit, while in all the other routes, its about as busy as you'd expect.
So does that mean...

..Shizune is the canon route?
Warning:

This poster is prone to fits of auto-pilot typing, in which he will make posts with butchered grammar and sentence structure without knowing it.
russianspy1234

Post by russianspy1234 »

bradpara wrote:Also, has anyone else noticed that while one of the main running gags of Shizune's route is that The Shanghai is always empty save for her, Misha and Hisao whenever they visit, while in all the other routes, its about as busy as you'd expect.
its not though, during most visits (though i havent finished lily route yet) its almost (if not entirely) empty save the protagonist and the girl(s) he is with. i only noticed one mention of a significant number of people and a waitress other than yuuko. perhaps that was the nexus temporarily coming into alignment with a single reality?
UncleJellyfish

Post by UncleJellyfish »

russianspy1234 wrote:
its not though, during most visits (though i havent finished lily route yet) its almost (if not entirely) empty save the protagonist and the girl(s) he is with. i only noticed one mention of a significant number of people and a waitress other than yuuko. perhaps that was the nexus temporarily coming into alignment with a single reality?
During Emi's and Rin's♥ routes, when all three of them go to have the picnic and it starts to rain, they retreat to the Shanghai to escape, and it's said that the place is quite crowded. On a few other occasions in Hanako's route, when her and Hisao meet there, there is mention of an elderly couple and a few other guests. I believe Lilly's route also mentions others at the establishment. If memory serves, Shizune's route is the only one that does not mention there being anyone else in the cafe.
Last edited by UncleJellyfish on Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm a Jellyfish that just so happens to be someone's Uncle.
Rin♥ > Hanako > Shizune/Lilly > Emi
My Katawa Shoujo Impressions.
Katawa Shoujo - Written Novel Project
I hate spoiler tags, so I will never use them in discussion. If you don't want me to spoil something for you, then don't read what I write.
russianspy1234

Post by russianspy1234 »

UncleJellyfish wrote:
russianspy1234 wrote:
During Emi's and Rin's routes, when all three of them go to have the picnic and it starts to rain, they retreat to the Shanghai to escape, and it's said that the place is quite crowded. On a few other occasions in Hanako's route, when her and Hisao meet there, there is mention of an elderly couple and a few other guests. I believe Lilly's route also mentions others at the establishment. If memory serves, Shizune's route is the only one that does not mention there being anyone else in the cafe.
im pretty sure it was either emi or rins route, but not both (its what first caused me to notice it) and that due to heavy rain. having only one or two other customers is still noteworthy, and more importantly, you never (right?) run into any of the other girls, despite it being their establishment of choice in each of their routes.
UncleJellyfish

Post by UncleJellyfish »

Looking back, it was Rin's♥ route that had the place packed during the heavy rain.
I'm a Jellyfish that just so happens to be someone's Uncle.
Rin♥ > Hanako > Shizune/Lilly > Emi
My Katawa Shoujo Impressions.
Katawa Shoujo - Written Novel Project
I hate spoiler tags, so I will never use them in discussion. If you don't want me to spoil something for you, then don't read what I write.