familiar hallway

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Slart

familiar hallway

Post by Slart »

Sup guys,

I'm new to the forum and everything. I haven't even posted in a non-4chan board in many years, so please treat me gently.

Anyway, I was playing through Act 1 again and I noticed this background was strangely familiar. Then I realized I see this hallway several times a week.

So which one of the devs goes to U of T?
coldacid

Re: familiar hallway

Post by coldacid »

Holy crap, I never even noticed that, but now that you mention it... Wow.

I think somewhere it's stated that some of the background photos were from public domain collections or something, that not all of it were taken by the dev team. I could be wrong, though. (However, I do remember someone who used to go to UTARPA who talked about doing dev stuff for KS years ago. Haven't seen him lately.)
<coldacid> hanak-o's
<coldacid> taste best when burnt
TheHivemind
Path Writer

Post by TheHivemind »

Most of our backgrounds were taken by like one or two dudes over the course of a long fucking time. I don't think we have any public domain backgrounds, at least not anymore. We may have at some point.
Slart

Post by Slart »

The Hart House is apparently the auxillary building to Yamaku Academy. It even has a pool. U of T = Yamaku Academy, oh god it all makes sense now

@coldacid: Is UTARPA worth joining? I don't have much interest in their showings, but I'm not sure what else they do.

@
TheHivemind wrote:Most of our backgrounds were taken by like one or two dudes over the course of a long fucking time. I don't think we have any public domain backgrounds, at least not anymore. We may have at some point.
Huh, that's interesting. Now I feel like finding out where all the backgrounds came from, like how those fans of KyoAni and Makoto Shinkai do.
coldacid

Post by coldacid »

@Slart: Well, it's certainly an interesting group of people there, but there's not really much besides the showings, unfortunately. As a club exec, though, it's my duty to tell you that you want to come and join anyway. If you go to Anime North, you've probably seen quite a few of our regulars staffing the convention, btw.

@TheHivemind: Any of the current devs from Toronto, at least?
Last edited by coldacid on Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
<coldacid> hanak-o's
Slart

Post by Slart »

Oh, I guess I might attend the next showing. I've never been to an anime convention for lack of willing friends ;_;
coldacid

Post by coldacid »

@Slart: You should go to AN. It's lots of fun. Especially staffing. ;)
<coldacid> hanak-o's
Slart

Post by Slart »

You're not trying to pull a Shizune on me, are you? =/

Also, half of Yamaku Academy is apparently within Hart House:

coldacid

Post by coldacid »

Slart wrote:You're not trying to pull a Shizune on me, are you? =/
Why would I do something like that? :3

BTW, I've not spent much time at all in Hart House, mostly my time at the university is in the SF theatre, or wandering UC with an alumnus friend of mine. I've never even attended UofT, I just know folks there.
<coldacid> hanak-o's
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Only 1 or 2 background images are from University of Toronto. A majority of them are from Brown University and the city of Providence where it's located. Then there are some from various private properties and college dorm rooms and a bunch from various places in Japan. Iirc we have two public domain photos used as base for bgs.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents
Goldilurks

Post by Goldilurks »

Slart wrote:The Hart House is apparently the auxillary building to Yamaku Academy. It even has a pool. U of T = Yamaku Academy, oh god it all makes sense now.
WTF? I spent 5 years there getting my BA and TESOL certification, and there were no hot cripples to be found! Where were they hiding them?

Seriously, though, if any KS devs are UTARPA members I will gladly buy you a beer after next month's showing. Wish I could meetcha at the next AN too, but I'm not gonna be in town.
This one needs to lurk moar. This one lurks too much! Ahh, this one lurks juuuuust enuf.
Katawa Haha: Disability Mothers
From Shizune's Perspective: a fanfic
Bara

Post by Bara »

coldacid wrote:
Slart wrote:You're not trying to pull a Shizune on me, are you? =/
Why would I do something like that? :3
Shhhh! He almost took the bait there. I bet if you had used the "Misha Lure" he would be on the hook right now; for some the hair drills are irrresistable.

2xGPU clients (GTX 465/GTS 250); 2xCPU clients

<Aura> Our army of teenage girl artists couldn't draw penises without fits of giggling. Does that count?
UNIT0918

Post by UNIT0918 »

Off topic, sorry, but I was just wondering about something with that screen-shot: does Japan have red light-lettered exit signs like what is shown in that hallway image of the University of Toronto? Because Japan usually have these ones.
Seeing that more people are using Valkyria Chronicles avatars, I'll follow suit.
Bara

Post by Bara »

UNIT0918 wrote:Off topic, sorry, but I was just wondering about something with that screen-shot: does Japan have red light-lettered exit signs like what is shown in that hallway image of the University of Toronto? Because Japan usually have these ones.
Good catch. Most folks who live surrounded by them never even notice them. I wouldn't get too worried about stuff like that. I don't think any safety equipment or stuff like that, inadvertently caught in the background photos will be changed for the localized versions either. I'm pretty sure things like that could be photoshopped out but I have no idea if the Devs want to spend the time doing that to all the background photos.

2xGPU clients (GTX 465/GTS 250); 2xCPU clients

<Aura> Our army of teenage girl artists couldn't draw penises without fits of giggling. Does that count?