How to get into something like this.

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

dragonloverx

How to get into something like this.

Post by dragonloverx »

This game was amazing. I figured I would give it a try because I have always wanted to try Visual Novels. It has given me a new urge to create. I have been writing several stories for years. Always afraid of someone taking my ideas, I find that like most people I have procrastinated a long time and nothing has come of it. I met a friend from and anime site I use to go to and would send them updated chapters of one of my storied but I stopped 8 months ago. They just got to busy to read them and I no longer had the urge to make them. Its one of my life goals to finish this story and several others I have in my head, but I realize now I need like minded people to bounce ideas off of and good animators who draw in the style I like. Playing the game was awesome, but after reading how it came about I was truly inspired. Others coming together over forums to make an idea a reality. I have never used forums till now. Been kind of a loner my whole life and while I have met many creative people I have not met ones that share my passions or interest. They always seem to want to drag me into what they are doing which is fun but not what I want to do. So as this is my first post I will put the question out there, how do you find those that can compliment you in a way to make these things happen? I don't care about money, just acknowledgment and help to continue it on. Well here is hoping.
toast

Re: How to get into something like this.

Post by toast »

Find a studio somewhere to do it for you, because from what i've seen trying to do it yourself is a troublesome idea.
<!Aura-> I did a line of powdered fig dust mixed with high grade blow from the ass of a supermodel wearing a Misha kigurumi at the party yesterday

<buckingham> it is not my fault you all have awful fucking taste

[17:42:51] <!Delta_Kurshiva> no fun allowed
kumoriken

Post by kumoriken »

First off, I should not be able to find that many spelling and grammar errors from someone who wishes to write a story for any form of publication. Work on that. The image of an author is important.

Secondly, your stories would need to be written from the ground up to fit this style. Subtle details that connect the multiple story lines are not simple to 'toss in' to a pre-written story. Begin to redesign it all.

Third, write what you want, in the style you want, to give the effect you want. It is your tale, nobody else's. There are tricks to mapping the whole story out, you can learn those with Google, but in the end it is your story. An artist will never properly represent what you believe your characters look like, they can get close, but they will never be perfect. Do you believe your story can fit a Visual Novel? You just now started to play them, and have only played a beta of one. Go buy a bunch of the classics (Fate/Stay Night is always on my list, followed by Tsukihime because I can) and begin to understand how they work. As a player, find the little nuances of story that make them as enjoyable as they are. Some people like background story, others like the elicit things. Visual Novels are adult entertainment games in essence, but many have used this medium to deliver great stories.

Fourth, get off your butt, stop being lazy, and write those stories. You shame them by not writing them.
Vigilant

Post by Vigilant »

You have a lot more success finding people if you have an already intermediate product. Make a significant progress on all the aspects you're planning on handling yourself, then look for other people to fill in the rest. It's not the most efficient way to do things, but for first time independent developers, mostly everyone will be too leery of vaporware to want to work with you unless they have some indication that things are actually going to get done. Basically everyone thinks *their* project will get done and want people to help, when a lot of projects die out due to the problems you've mentioned yourself having.

I have one VN I'm currently working on the story for, and one massive RPG I'm coding. I have asked someone if they'd hypothetically help with the art assets if I got far enough, but currently I'm not really expecting others to start working with me on either of these (for the latter thing i had tried to bring in some more coders but that fizzled due to my own motivational issues as much as theirs, so I gave up on asking other people).
dragonloverx

Post by dragonloverx »

I thank you all for your advice and criticism. I understand excuses are just that, excuses. I am trying to recreate stories I made long ago and expand on them. First I wanted to make a book series, but as I got more into anime I thought that would rewrite my stories in that kind of form. Then I figured it was so big I could make it a video game as well and even a visual novel. I know that’s a lot, but I can’t help but see the possibilities. As for my spelling, well I like to think I am quite good with big words and their meanings if not their spellings. Still, it is a reflection of me. I have almost finished the first draft of one of my stories but, even when I am done with it I will still want to rewrite it, to add more details and expand on it further. I just need to find the time to sit down and write it. But I feel writer’s block. I know how I want the story to progress; I am just stuck on the details. Well again thank you for your responses. I will see how this forum thing works out for me.