How large is the following for KS currently?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Nightdragon

Re: How large is the following for KS currently?

Post by Nightdragon »

cpl_crud wrote:
Nightdragon wrote:I still think I'm the only currently active duty military member who's a KS fan. Which kinda sucks because for the past month I've been without internet helping out a humanitarian aid mission in Indonesia (due to some earthquakes) and rejoining the other ships to continuing on with the MEU. I have to say though, KS definitely helped me keep my sanity during the long hours at sea where we do nothing.

You are not.

No, it's not me, but you are not the only serviceman who plays KS.
Well thats awesome then. I wonder what rank/branch the other people who play it are and are in.
Commissar Mecha Milk

Post by Commissar Mecha Milk »

eptsquare wrote:Ha! I'm from Singapore :D
Secessionist traitor :P !

Malaysian here, adding to the KS love. That said, I think that KS has a cult following at the most.
Bara

Post by Bara »

Commissar Mecha Milk wrote:That said, I think that KS has a cult following at the most.
It can't be a cult unless it includes Kool-Aid; yep, gotta have it to be a real cult... :roll:

Now, I will admit that my embarrasingly high post count might make me look to be a little looney about KS, but I think once it is out KS will have a long and memorable presence amongst english speaking VN afficianados. You can't deny a good story. Of course, the way things age at ridiculous speed on the net, in 30-50 years KS may be looked at like the Greek classics do to us now. I wonder if the Devs are looking forward to being footnotes in furture Comp Sci disertations. :lol:

2xGPU clients (GTX 465/GTS 250); 2xCPU clients

<Aura> Our army of teenage girl artists couldn't draw penises without fits of giggling. Does that count?
Elroy

Post by Elroy »

At the least, Katawa Shoujo will be the Watchmen of the new age. It'll be required reading (playing?) in college! I'll be the guy drunkenly ranting about it on the street when I'm middle-aged and overweight.

"Katawa Shoujo is not entertainment. It's not there to entertain you, for your pleasure. Katawa Shoujo is trying to educate you. There's some deepass shit that Katawa Shoujo is telling you, and you don't get it. Katawa Shoujo is like the bible, and the KS Devs are like Jesus! And YOOOOU *pointing to passersby* are the romans and all that shit, you crucified Jesus!"

Ahhh, can't wait.
Deimos

Post by Deimos »

Elroy wrote:"Katawa Shoujo is not entertainment. It's not there to entertain you, for your pleasure. Katawa Shoujo is trying to educate you. There's some deepass shit that Katawa Shoujo is telling you, and you don't get it. Katawa Shoujo is like the bible, and the KS Devs are like Jesus! And YOOOOU *pointing to passersby* are the romans and all that shit, you crucified Jesus!"
Sometimes there appears a piece of art, not to entertain you but to enlighten you and illuminate your understanding. A miracle that will gently pick apart your essence with its velvet messages until it will have ground your very being into a fine dust only for you to be reborn in its glory. It does not shape your soul - it will redefine it.
Excerpt from "The Revelations of a KS disciple", written in 2040 - now known as year XX after KS release

I am already looking forward to young acolytes chanting the source code and what our first schism will be about. :wink:

From time to time, nothing is better than humouring ourselves a bit over our embarassing hobbies.
Last edited by Deimos on Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ahh, Morticia? I would die for her. I would kill for her. Either way, what bliss.
Bara

Post by Bara »

Elroy wrote:"... Katawa Shoujo is like the bible, and the KS Devs are like Jesus! And YOOOOU *pointing to passersby* are the romans and all that shit, you crucified Jesus!"
Hisao 'Hnnnng'ed' for your sins? :roll:
Deimos wrote:I am already looking forward to young acolytes chanting the source code and what our first schism will be about. :wink:
Probably over Misha, and most likely over a lack of a path for her; or her "Immaculate Disability", or the "Is Misha Fat" question. :lol:

<Aura> Our army of teenage girl artists couldn't draw penises without fits of giggling. Does that count?
Ryumaru-MG

Post by Ryumaru-MG »

I can't say much about how big it is currently, but I did plan on doing an article on it for my site. If this game is as good as it looks to be, you guys will probably have a few more people in the fandom, at least....
http://www.tipofthenose.com The site I write for. Don't worry, I'm not a cruel critic....
G3n0c1de

Post by G3n0c1de »

Bara wrote:Probably over Misha, and most likely over a lack of a path for her; or her "Immaculate Disability", or the "Is Misha Fat" question. :lol:
Following the bible, the game will be remade hundreds of years later with Misha, Akira, Hideaki, Kenji, and Yuuko paths. This game will be written by a new team of devs, each chosen and touched by a single visionary leader. Fans of the original will reject this new KS, and will eventually kill the new project head, but the new devs will finish the game. As time goes along, this new game will become the most widely accepted version of the game. But this new KS will not be without conflicts of it's own...
It's a good thing Shizune is deaf, she is the only one who can stand (not) hearing "Wahaha~!" over and over.
Captain Niggawatts

Post by Captain Niggawatts »

G3n0c1de wrote:
Bara wrote:Probably over Misha, and most likely over a lack of a path for her; or her "Immaculate Disability", or the "Is Misha Fat" question. :lol:
Following the bible, the game will be remade hundreds of years later with Misha, Akira, Hideaki, Kenji, and Yuuko paths. This game will be written by a new team of devs, each chosen and touched by a single visionary leader. Fans of the original will reject this new KS, and will eventually kill the new project head, but the new devs will finish the game. As time goes along, this new game will become the most widely accepted version of the game. But this new KS will not be without conflicts of it's own...
Man, that's the stupidest twist I have ever heard. What kind of lame story would become popular that way?
"People who quote themselves in their signatures are egotistical faggots" - Captain Niggawatts
guest poster

Post by guest poster »

Hisao 'Hnnnng'ed' for your sins?
I'd rather see Rin as the messiah if for no other reason than the fact it'd make for some interesting looking crucifixes.
Bara

Post by Bara »

To get back onto the original topic I've been seeding KS Act 1 for about a month and a half now (when I remember to restart uTorrent after turning it off) and even at this late time the stats tracker says I've uploaded 4.52 GB to folks. Eqivalent to approximately 29 copies of the program. That is if I am reading stuff right. I realy know something between jack and sh** about torrents and all that. There seem to be about 70 plus/minus seeds out there for KS Act 1 at the times I've looked; so it looks like there is a fanatica... errr, a core of folks spreading KS around even after the initial furor has died away. :D

Warwick

Post by Warwick »

You can check your ratio for that particular torrent. It'll tell you your ratio of uploaded data to downloaded data, so a ratio of 1 means you've uploaded as much as you've downloaded. I seeded to somewhere around 7.0 before I stopped back when it first released. I'll be sure to help out lots when the full version comes out.
静音是买外夫
Bara

Post by Bara »

From the 12/2 to 12/10 my ratio for KS Act 1 has gone up by 13; from 29 to 43. About 2 per day. I guess that indicates a steady flow of folks picking up the VN. You can't beat a good story.

Gash

Post by Gash »

I get the feeling KS will actually live longer than you'd expect of a VN. Depends whether the politically correct crowd seize on it as good or bad.
I mean how many people had heard of Rapelay before the media started prattling on about it?
guest poster wrote:
Hisao 'Hnnnng'ed' for your sins?
I'd rather see Rin as the messiah if for no other reason than the fact it'd make for some interesting looking crucifixes.
Personally I think Rin would be one of those messiahs who just dissappears one day. People would say she ascended to heaven or whatever but in reality she just decided to take a wander and found something more interesting. However that would be one fine piece of messiah if you catch my drift.
Bara

Post by Bara »

Since I saw the Act 1 V2 released last night I have an upload ratio of 6 in 11 hours. Too bad there is no way to tell who is uploading for the first time for the chinese language version, and who is getting the torrent to check the english language version for typos and grammar like Eternal Lurker did.

(Good job Eternal Lurker. I'm too lazy to do that for a VN. I'd have to take way too many notes.)