Of and on Rin

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Bara

Re: Of and on Rin

Post by Bara »

I see Rin least in terms of her disability of all the girls. Her personality is so strong that I see her being much the same if she was born with 2 functional arms. Call me crazy but I see the mind as the seat of personality and character not limbs or senses. I don't deny that the lack or loss of these do play a very large part in a persons development and outlook, and that a good solid argument can be made that someone who is injured later in life is possibly affected more than someone missing an ability from birth. Some people get bitter or play the pitiful victim after a debilitating injury. On the flip side I've also known a lot of 100% healthy people who were bitter sad sacks with no excuse for it. The place where everyone chooses how to deal with life is between the ears. I don't see it as "inevitable" that all the girls must be somehow categorized and pigeonholed by their bodies’ problems. True that Rin is never going to throw the javelin in the Olympics, Lilly can't join the circus to be a knife thrower and Hanako has no future as a fireman. In the end the question is more how they choose to deal with the options and situations they do have in front of them. The choices the characters in KS make, good, bad or indifferent should be dictated by a sense of "is this believable for the character" not "is this believable for the disability".

2xGPU clients (GTX 465/GTS 250); 2xCPU clients

<Aura> Our army of teenage girl artists couldn't draw penises without fits of giggling. Does that count?
Deimos

Post by Deimos »

Dritz wrote:I hoped for a more realistic reason why she acts so abnormally, even for the artsy types shes definitely on the extreme, so much so that it isn't plausible for it to be its own explanation.
The simplest reason for her to behave the way she does is that she is comfortable with it.

And the causes for that may not entirely lie in her disability. It's something that possibly stems from her upbringing and her childhood environment.

Let me elaborate on that.
Rin is very expressive in a particular odd manner. I will make three examples of that:
1. Her art is one outlet of creativity and her free minded spirit.
2. She is very outspoken about her toughts.
3. There are no inhibitions from her to not use innuendo.

Especially the last two are indicative of a relatively liberal education. Several education styles lay an emphasis on any form of expression the child does, meaning that the guardians of said child will ensure to enhance the candour of their little one in order to give it a unique and free-spirited personality. Sometimes this may even turn into expressing oneself for the sake of expression. If someone chooses that technique to raise his or her child it is entirely possible that they project their liberal views about voicing one's own thoughts onto their child resulting in people whose behavioural patterns are reminiscent of Rin.

Of course, Rin could have adopted her personality on her own but that would mean that she was discontent with her past behaviour, however, there is no indication of that. No girl in Katawa Shoujo, at this point, looks like an epitome of teenage rebellion.

Alas, I do only speculate but you might get a clue how someone like Rin became the way she is if you do not only take her disablity into account.
Ahh, Morticia? I would die for her. I would kill for her. Either way, what bliss.
Bara

Post by Bara »

Deimos wrote:...the guardians of said child will ensure to...
Now Demios, Ya'll know that if'n you start speachifiy'in like that some folk might accuse ya of having dealins with lawyers, politicians an other undesireable types. :lol:

Actualy I like your posts. Mine are wandering, tortured and fragment into 3 contradictory semi-conclusions; while yours get to a solid conclusion. :mrgreen:

2xGPU clients (GTX 465/GTS 250); 2xCPU clients

<Aura> Our army of teenage girl artists couldn't draw penises without fits of giggling. Does that count?
Blue123

Post by Blue123 »

Dritz wrote:I hoped for a more realistic reason
lol

Anyway, KS is trying to make a point: people don't have to be tied down/restricted by what's wrong with them. But if you take a look at it, say "this character has this disability, but she acts like this and that doesn't suit her" then you're missing the point.
Dritz

Post by Dritz »

There seems to be a very large misconception with what I've said.
I never once said that I found it odd Rin didn't have a personality that fit her lack of arms, I found it odd that she had a personality which doesn't incorporate the effect of missing both arms in her mentality.
Just thought I'd clear that up
-abscess

Post by -abscess »

Dritz wrote:Rin didn't have a personality that fit her lack of arms.
[Rin] had a personality which doesn't incorporate the effect of missing both arms in her mentality.
......... And the difference is?
Dritz

Post by Dritz »

Dritz wrote: incorporate the effect of missing both arms in her mentality.
Incorporate is the keyword, not based, it would have to have SOME effect on her other than the fact that she uses her feet instead of hands
ever17

Post by ever17 »

Dritz wrote:
Dritz wrote: incorporate the effect of missing both arms in her mentality.
Incorporate is the keyword, not based, it would have to have SOME effect on her other than the fact that she uses her feet instead of hands
........<_<

Ok. When I was younger, my parents would sometimes say things like "that person is going to hell." Many times, I would angrily reply "Stop telling god what he can and can't do." Rin could very well be effected by her disability. Just because you don't know the reason why, you're assuming she isn't? Maybe it has affected her, but only in subtle ways that you can't readily tell? Maybe her personality now is partially because of her disability? You saying it's not, or not enough, is kinda a really closed-minded way of thinking.
Last edited by ever17 on Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
G3n0c1de

Post by G3n0c1de »

Bara wrote:Her personality is so strong that I see her being much the same if she was born with 2 functional arms.
This. I also feel that Rin would act more or less the same way if she had both arms. Her personality is that unique. Hell, most people without arms probably rely on others for everything; I think Rin learned to use her feet so dextrously just because she thought she could.

"No hands? A foot is fine too."

A lot of others would have resigned themselves to the fact that they can't do many things without arms. Good thing Rin thinks like no one else. So it's not her disability affecting her personality as much as her personality affects how she handles her disability.
It's a good thing Shizune is deaf, she is the only one who can stand (not) hearing "Wahaha~!" over and over.
-abscess

Post by -abscess »

Dritz wrote: Incorporate is the keyword, not based, it would have to have SOME effect on her other than the fact that she uses her feet instead of hands
Which makes me go back to what I previously said:
-abscess wrote:[...]. I agree that she more than likely had a hard time adjusting because of her lack of upper appendages, but it probably isn't the reason why she's odd. [...]
Also
ever17 wrote:Rin could very well be effected by her disability. Just because you don't know the reason why, you're assuming she isn't? Maybe it has affected her, but only in subtle ways that you can't readily tell? Maybe her personality now is partially because of her disability?
THIS.

I, again, think you want to pin her oddness to her disability.
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Dritz wrote: I found it odd that she had a personality which doesn't incorporate the effect of missing both arms in her mentality.
ever17 wrote:Maybe it has affected her, but only in subtle ways that you can't readily tell? Maybe her personality now is partially because of her disability? You saying it's not, or not enough, is kinda a really closed-minded way of thinking.
Basically, ever17 is right. Her personality in fact is shaped by her disability, how could it not be?
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents
Dritz

Post by Dritz »

ever17 wrote:Just because you don't know the reason why, you're assuming she isn't? Maybe it has affected her, but only in subtle ways that you can't readily tell? Maybe her personality now is partially because of her disability? You saying it's not, or not enough, is kinda a really closed-minded way of thinking.
I'm asking what other people think on the subject, and laying down a base for the conversation, not forcing my opinions on anyone.
I started this thread to hear others opinions on the matter, not to shut them down, so sorry if it seems like I'm denying your theory, but I'm just trying to get a decent explanation of how she can either remain unaffected or how she is affected.
Dritz

Post by Dritz »

☆♥Aura♥☆ wrote:how could it not be?
Which is what I've been saying the ENTIRE time. You took what I said out of context.
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Then I'm even more confused about the point of this thread.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents
Dritz

Post by Dritz »

I wanted a little bit of insight as to how it effects her, but was side tracked by people questioning whether or not it even affected her.