Is art some kind of mutual fraud? (Rin spoilers I guess)

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

KeiichiO

Re: Is art some kind of mutual fraud? (Rin spoilers I guess)

Post by KeiichiO »

Xanatos wrote:
KeiichiO wrote:Art can be anything, and everything. There is no one way of defining art. Art is whatever you want it to be.
*dips Keiichi in chocolate sauce and post-it notes*

Art! :mrgreen:
That sounds delicious. You should draw a panel on each note and make me a living storyboard!
rockin robin

Post by rockin robin »

hmmm make it ablut the history of chocolate. interactive storytelling then.

us 2 would "read" it :)
I kenji's worst nightmare! A FEMINIST!!
have a tracheo-osoephagul puncture.
three years with simmr001 10/06/13
pandaphil

Post by pandaphil »

Guess I got a bit too angry in my last post. Sorry. I do a lot of art myself http://herbertw.deviantart.com/ and put a lot of thought and effort into my creations. So I get annoyed when I see something selling for more money then I'll ever see in my lifetime that I could probably make in my garage in half an hour.

I guess to me art involves creativity, skill, and craftsmanship. Not just slapping random paint or objects together and saying that it means something.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." ~ The Doctor.
KeiichiO

Post by KeiichiO »

Art doesn't have to mean anything. As long as it brings happiness, it can rightly be called "art".
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

If it has an effect, it's art. It can bring happiness, despair, anger, whatever so long as it invokes something.

Yes, this view technically means smearing shit on a canvas can be art. Low art that deserves no recognition but "disgust" is still a thing...
Last edited by Xanatos on Sun May 19, 2013 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
KeiichiO

Post by KeiichiO »

Xanatos wrote:If it has an effect, it's art. It can bring happiness, despair, anger, whatever so long as it invokes something.
Well yeah. Any feeling at all, really. But I really meant if it brings happiness to the artist. If the artist enjoys what he/she is doing, that's really all that matters.
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

KeiichiO wrote:
Xanatos wrote:If it has an effect, it's art. It can bring happiness, despair, anger, whatever so long as it invokes something.
Well yeah. Any feeling at all, really. But I really meant if it brings happiness to the artist. If the artist enjoys what he/she is doing, that's really all that matters.
I wouldn't say the artist being happy is a necessity for art. Some great stuff has come out of some really fucking depressed people. :lol: I don't much care for Picasso but damn if I don't enjoy a lot of the work he made during depressive states.
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
rockin robin

Post by rockin robin »

pandaphil wrote:Guess I got a bit too angry in my last post. Sorry. I do a lot of art myself http://herbertw.deviantart.com/ and put a lot of thought and effort into my creations. So I get annoyed when I see something selling for more money then I'll ever see in my lifetime that I could probably make in my garage in half an hour.

I guess to me art involves creativity, skill, and craftsmanship. Not just slapping random paint or objects together and saying that it means something.

i agred with you. thought needs to be put into it in order to includes invoke the emotion you want to show

now i wish i hadn't destroyed my collection when my art teacher ridiculed me. or id show it to you. also i like your beard. and your plant art
aidz

Post by aidz »

this thread started so deep I feared I was going to drown, luvvit

I don't think there is a single way to describe art; when I ask most of the artists what it is, I'm normally met with a collage of groans and moans followed by a 'uhhhh, I just painted it I guess', but I'm completely against the blank square labelled 'art' aswell
Auratus

Post by Auratus »

rockin robin wrote:
pandaphil wrote:Guess I got a bit too angry in my last post. Sorry. I do a lot of art myself http://herbertw.deviantart.com/ and put a lot of thought and effort into my creations. So I get annoyed when I see something selling for more money then I'll ever see in my lifetime that I could probably make in my garage in half an hour.

i agred with you. thought needs to be put into it in order to includes invoke the emotion you want to show

now i wish i hadn't destroyed my collection when my art teacher ridiculed me. or id show it to you. also i like your beard. and your plant art
@pandaphil. If you feel bad because some "artist" can do that much money in half of an hour and you can't. Do it. I mean draw an abstract art, I am thinking that if I sell a empty canvass to a museum and beg them to show it and give me a percent of money they got by selling it.

@rockin robin. your art teacher doesn't know what art mean, I think anyone studied in Art should know that art is everything. I read it's textbook.

@Xanatos. Give chocolate to newcomer. "ART!!"
I want to make Thai Translation of KS alone and protesting with this signature.

Unofficially Demanding. Temporary even-more malfunctioned in English Grammar.

Introducing one of the few thread of it's kind that bring the world together. Wait, Whatever then.
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Auratus wrote:your art teacher doesn't know what art mean
And you do?
Auratus

Post by Auratus »

Xanatos wrote:
Auratus wrote:your art teacher doesn't know what art mean
And you do?
Actually, no one do. But I wouldn't ridicule any art.
I want to make Thai Translation of KS alone and protesting with this signature.

Unofficially Demanding. Temporary even-more malfunctioned in English Grammar.

Introducing one of the few thread of it's kind that bring the world together. Wait, Whatever then.
pandaphil

Post by pandaphil »

rockin robin wrote:

Thanks for your kind words Robin. Ugh, what a horrible art teacher. Sounds like you got a Nomiya. Someone should have told the idiot they're supposed to be encouraging students. I'm sorry you went through that.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." ~ The Doctor.
Loonie

Post by Loonie »

pandaphil wrote:Thanks for your kind words Robin. Ugh, what a horrible art teacher. Sounds like you got a Nomiya. Someone should have told the idiot they're supposed to be encouraging students. I'm sorry you went through that.
That doesn't sound like a Nomiya at all. Quite the opposite in fact. Nomiya's problem was that he was TOO encouraging so as to compensate for chickening out of the trade himself. Nomiya might've been an ass, but he was still a somewhat talented one. Problem was he became afraid of that talent when he saw his friend (Sae's husband) die from his own.

Now Robin's art teacher sounds moreso like the 'theoretical art teacher'. Knows all about the theory of art (or sometimes even worse - pretends to know it), might even do a little something basic of it themselves, but they have no real talent in it at all and couldn't relate to an artist in their field at all. *chuckles* I remember my own 'theoretical art teacher' from high school. I had 6 years of piano and theory lessons at an official musical school before that and couldn't believe how completely she mangled the basics of musical theory in class. That and the fact that she was actually being paid to do it. Oh and, of course, if anyone so much as questioned her on it, she'd make sure to fail your grades.

There's all kinds of bad teachers really. Nomiya was the artist who would've done better by staying as such. Whereas Robin's teacher sounds more like one that flaunts authority (through ridiculing 'bad' students too if need be) to mask their own inadequacy in the very art form that they teach. Granted that's just my guess - can't really know for sure, but bad teachers tend to fall into one of those two extremes. They either know too much and fail at communicating it (or push their 'star pupils' towards goals they never really want for themselves) or not enough and try to use their authority to hide the fact that they're frauds (wow! I actually managed to tie this back to the topic in a roundabout way!)

I guess it's fortunate that there's also all kinds of good art teachers too. Seeing them work really is a kick in the ole faith. I just wish there'd be more of them.
rockin robin

Post by rockin robin »

Loonie wrote:
pandaphil wrote:Thanks for your kind words Robin. Ugh, what a horrible art teacher. Sounds like you got a Nomiya. Someone should have told the idiot they're supposed to be encouraging students. I'm sorry you went through that.
That doesn't sound like a Nomiya at all. Quite the opposite in fact. Nomiya's problem was that he was TOO encouraging so as to compensate for chickening out of the trade himself. Nomiya might've been an ass, but he was still a somewhat talented one. Problem was he became afraid of that talent when he saw his friend (Sae's husband) die from his own.

Now Robin's art teacher sounds moreso like the 'theoretical art teacher'. Knows all about the theory of art (or sometimes even worse - pretends to know it), might even do a little something basic of it themselves, but they have no real talent in it at all and couldn't relate to an artist in their field at all. *chuckles* I remember my own 'theoretical art teacher' from high school. I had 6 years of piano and theory lessons at an official musical school before that and couldn't believe how completely she mangled the basics of musical theory in class. That and the fact that she was actually being paid to do it. Oh and, of course, if anyone so much as questioned her on it, she'd make sure to fail your grades.

There's all kinds of bad teachers really. Nomiya was the artist who would've done better by staying as such. Whereas Robin's teacher sounds more like one that flaunts authority (through ridiculing 'bad' students too if need be) to mask their own inadequacy in the very art form that they teach. Granted that's just my guess - can't really know for sure, but bad teachers tend to fall into one of those two extremes. They either know too much and fail at communicating it (or push their 'star pupils' towards goals they never really want for themselves) or not enough and try to use their authority to hide the fact that they're frauds (wow! I actually managed to tie this back to the topic in a roundabout way!)

I guess it's fortunate that there's also all kinds of good art teachers too. Seeing them work really is a kick in the ole faith. I just wish there'd be more of them.
thanks for the words of comfort guys. apparently i wasn't the only person to complain because he got fired two years after i left. simmr also got burned by him, but never had any art he felt connected to. that class was a damm popularity contest. now his successor is driving my boyfreinds brothers skybound as shes misha wdult form :D

and the blue square is more about the paints and paper, rather than the shapes themselves.