Visual Novel General

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Qhost

Visual Novel General

Post by Qhost »

Hello, I am here to open up a 4chan-style "VN general". Yes, I am aware that there is a thread called "Recommend a VN", but the point of this thread is a little different. This will be a thread to express personal opinions on a certain VN based on their experience with it; there is no reason to recommend one, although it is certainly a choice to do so. Give a list of names of VNs that you have played, and feel free to express your own opinion about them. Oh, and certainly eroges count as well. Any order is fine, but just for organization purposes, best to worst is suggested. If this thread becomes a success, I will elaborate on it much more and continue on my list; however, as a means of checking popularity, I will only list my all-time favorite VN. So for now, let's begin.

G-senjou no Maou
Absolutely amazing - while initially I had expected some kind of childish and silly outcome as I have come across the beginning of the VN, I was certainly too far off. This VN exceeds expectations in almost every aspect of "plot", for it is nearly flawless. The plot is absolutely unpredictable; trust me, I have second and third-guessed myself too much throughout the story, and ended up being completely wrong as the results turned out. The organization of this VN is amazing; the choices are rather straightforward - it is fairly obvious to choose a certain route from looking at the choices. Another plus-side to this VN is that unlike Katawa Shoujo's, the protagonist plays an irreplacable role in the story (I do not mean to offend and Hisao lovers in any way). The genre for this VN would be best characterized as: thriller, mystery and romance. Some do not play this VN because of lack of romance; however, do not fret, for there is more than plenty romance throughout the story (especially in the true route). What are you waiting for? Go download it.
Hentai scenes? Yes, but I believe you have the option to turn it off on installation.

Ever17: The Out of Infinity
Although not as thriller-packed as G-senjou no Maou, Ever17 is unquestionably on the list of top-class visual novels. The characters are all extremely detailed, and as the true route comes along, I realized that EVERY single character is crucially playing a role. There is only one down-side to this VN (certainly my personal opinion), and it is the pacing. The pacing in this visual novel was ridiculously slow - I was actually on the verge of giving up as I have achieved a two of the four possible endings (excluding the true route), but I consider myself lucky as hell that I didn't stop. Whereas the four possible routes are rather slow and redundant, the true route makes EVERYTHING worth it. The true route, much like G-senjou no Maou, is just ridiculously unpredictable - if someone were to predict the outcome, I would be honored to hand them a gold medal for being a damn prophet. The genre of this VN would be mainly mystery and drama. There is certainly romance, but you will be tempted to focus more on the actual plot (which I found surprising, because I am a diehard fan of romance). Ultimately, this is a must-read visual novel, so if you're looking for a possible replacement for KS and want some mindfuck, go download this amazing visual novel.
Hentai scenes? No.
Last edited by Qhost on Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nobody in Particular

Re: Visual Novel General

Post by Nobody in Particular »

Qhost wrote:Hello, I am here to open up a 4chan-style "VN general".
>Maiden Rape Assault: Violent Semen Inferno

An interesting idea, since the Recommendation thread doesn't seem like the one where all the VN discussion should be. Wouldn't surprise me if they ended up turning into the same thing though, but we may as well give it a shot. Guess I'll discuss the one I'm playing a the moment.

Fate/Stay Night

For those who have have played this VN, does it get better after the Fate route? While I'm enjoying it, I'd say it is inferior to Tsukihime and has atrocious pacing at times, and as well as that I am of the opinion that it is severely overrated. Despite saying this I would still consider it good, but I would have expected a lot more from the VN in fifth place on VNDB.
starfighter9

Post by starfighter9 »

Fate/Stay Night does indeed get much better after Fate. Shirou puts a few skill points into badass and awesome in Unlimited Blade Works, and Heaven's Feel is even better. Pacing-wise i agree, some parts drag on and get irritating but then again Muv-Luv and Ever17 are hells where pacing goes to die, and they still kick ass. It is quite premature to consider it overrated based on Fate alone, it is not very epic and Shirou is unlikeable in that route so i think you'll change your mind after finishing the others. I know i did. F/SN is actually my first played VN, it was what got me hooked on the genre.

Also, '4chan style' sounds ominous. :twisted:
Nobody in Particular

starfighter9 wrote:Pacing-wise i agree, some parts drag on and get irritating but then again Muv-Luv and Ever17 are hells where pacing goes to die, and they still kick ass.
Clearly you have never played Kira Kira, the pacing in that was just terrible.

Well the pacing in UBW seems to be an awful lot better than it was in Fate, although it wasn't too big a problem for me. Fate/Stay Night is great so far but in comparison to Tsukihime it feels rather lacking to me, the story seems to be slightly less interesting and some of the characters seem to be lacking. Enough nitpicking, they are both incredibly enjoyable.
Erenussocrates

Post by Erenussocrates »

I've been searching in youtube about the VN "A drug that makes you dream"
I wonder if it really is good. Because there's a murder case at one particular route. (strangling to death, to be precise) I'm not sure if it's any romantic or nice. It sounds fucked up more than anything else. So, I came here to hear advices about that VN. Is it okay? Is it enjoyable? Is it any good?

And what do you think of Brass Restoration?
Qhost

Post by Qhost »

Erenussocrates wrote:I've been searching in youtube about the VN "A drug that makes you dream"
Hmm. I've never actually played this VN, but just by looking at the title it must be rather unique, so you should give it a try. I've heard some pretty good feedback for this VN, although I've also heard you might need some balls to do it. I'd say go for it, and tell me how it goes.
Nobody in Particular

Erenussocrates wrote:I've been searching in youtube about the VN "A drug that makes you dream"
I wonder if it really is good. Because there's a murder case at one particular route. (strangling to death, to be precise) I'm not sure if it's any romantic or nice. It sounds fucked up more than anything else. So, I came here to hear advices about that VN. Is it okay? Is it enjoyable? Is it any good?
Honestly I didn't like Yume Miru Kusuri that much, but it is worth playing as a starter VN and gets a fair amount of praise. Yes there is a lot of romance in the game as that is what the whole game is about and despite the part you know about the game is actually upbeat for the most part. As well as this one of the genres of the VN is comdy (along side romance and drama) so I'd say go for it. (minor spoilers related to your ones) She doesn't die. It gets called off at the last second. Still a pretty enraging route however.
Qhost wrote: Hmm. I've never actually played this VN, but just by looking at the title it must be rather unique, so you should give it a try. I've heard some pretty good feedback for this VN, although I've also heard you might need some balls to do it. I'd say go for it, and tell me how it goes.
The whole strangulation thing isn't that bad. As I said before it's a comedy, although it can be pretty dark at times in one of the routes. It's worth playing.