JewWario reviews KS

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

dwarduk

Re: JewWario reviews KS

Post by dwarduk »

Pyramid Head wrote:
ravenlord wrote:In Japanese terminology, a distinction is often made between visual novels proper (abbreviated NVL), which consist predominantly of narration and have very few interactive elements, and adventure games (abbreviated AVG or ADV), which may incorporate problem-solving and other types of gameplay. This distinction is normally lost outside Japan, where both NVLs and ADVs are commonly referred to as "visual novels" by international fans.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visual_novel

Basically it is a to-may-to or to-mah-to kind of thing.

Either way, don't let it detract from the review itself. You don't want to miss the forest for the trees.
Fine then. The forest got most of the important details though i feel didn't cover much more than i did in a text review i wrote shortly after the release and i'd like to think people with enough money to get cameras and non-linear editors can do a better job than something i threw together in three hours, four hours if you count the time i spent beating my head against for the grammatical issues i spotted after i posted it.
Don't beat yourself up about it too much; I think it was your review that brought me here!
Meiko will be my waifu. I swear it on my honour. </Zuko>
JewWario

KS Review

Post by JewWario »

Well, I posted my review of KS on That Guy With The Glasses. It's getting positive reviews so far, but I would like to know what you hardcore fans think.

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/bt/jew ... awa-shoujo

If I could change something I would emphasize better how cool the animation was.
Nullc0de

Re: KS Review

Post by Nullc0de »

Great review, I really enjoyed watching it (and I don't really like any vlogs besides Extra Credits). Keep up the good work, sir.

And yes, curse that annoying Kenji.

Pathing: Lily / Hanako > Emi > Rin > Shizune

Character: Lily / Hanako > Shizune > Emi > Rin
Dr. Robotnik

Post by Dr. Robotnik »

I would watch it, but then I'd have to go to the worst website on the internet, so I'll just take y'alls word for it.
Emibro, [Hanabro], [Lilly Lover], Rin Kin, Feminist, [Two-timer]
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Dr. Robotnik wrote:I would watch it, but then I'd have to go to the worst website on the internet, so I'll just take y'alls word for it.
But the review isn't even on 4chan... :?
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
Dr. Robotnik

Post by Dr. Robotnik »

I'd rather be on /b/ than that place. Also, 4chan isn't bad, /b/ is the only abnormally bad part and the rest of 4chan hates them.
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Dr. Robotnik wrote:I'd rather be on /b/ than that place. Also, 4chan isn't bad, /b/ is the only abnormally bad part and the rest of 4chan hates them.
Meh. I find the entire concept of imageboards somewhat idiotic. If you want a place to vomit the various pictures you find that the vast majority won't care about, make Photobucket. If you want a forum, just make a damn forum. Combining the two serves little point, to say nothing of the only slightly passable design of the site.

Anyway, the review is decent.
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
Dr. Robotnik

Post by Dr. Robotnik »

I agree about 4chan's layout being dumb, but my point was that it isn't "TEH WURST PLAEC EVAR" like everyone keeps saying it is.
Pyramid Head

Re: KS Review

Post by Pyramid Head »

JewWario wrote:Well, I posted my review of KS on That Guy With The Glasses. It's getting positive reviews so far, but I would like to know what you hardcore fans think.

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/bt/jew ... awa-shoujo

If I could change something I would emphasize better how cool the animation was.

I personally had some nitpicks, but i'm an amateur critic myself and nitpicking is just what i do. I strongly disagree with your claims that Katawa Shoujo is a dating sim, in fact i feel that since at no point does it ever give you any real interactivity and the ability to lose, it's not a video game at all but just a choose your own adventure novel that happens to be running on my laptop.

That said, i have no major gripes. You did a decent job, it's nice to know i wasn't the only person who felt Kenji could go dive under a combine harvester, and i'm looking forward to when my internet starts behaving so i can check out a few more of your reviews.
Oh, one more thing though, if you're looking for other visual novels to review there's an item available on Steam called Analogue: A Hate Story that, while being deeply flawed,is an item worth checking out, kind of like a very short Metro 2033 if you spliced in some elements from Chobits into it.
The fear of blood tends to create fear for the flesh.
Pseudogenesis

Post by Pseudogenesis »

"Some of the sex scenes seemed very forced." LEMONS

Joking aside, that was a pretty good review. I disagree on some points of course, regarding the whole "Dating sim" thing as well as the lack of choice. (You don't criticize this in a movie or book, so why here?) But other than that, it addressed everything a potential player would like to know. Although he could've emphasized the feels more. :3
The biggest dilemma in Katawa Shoujo:
'Should I recommend this to my friends or do I want them to continue to see me as mentally healthy?'

Mashup of the month: "Damn It Feels Good To Be a Cripple"
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Pseudogenesis wrote:"Some of the sex scenes seemed very forced." LEMONS

Joking aside, that was a pretty good review. I disagree on some points of course, regarding the whole "Dating sim" thing as well as the lack of choice. (You don't criticize this in a movie or book, so why here?) But other than that, it addressed everything a potential player would like to know. Although he could've emphasized the feels more. :3
A movie is not made to have choices. Neither is a book, save CYOA. The entire interactive element of this genre is based on choices. That's why you'd criticize it here.
Pseudogenesis

Post by Pseudogenesis »

Xanatos wrote:

A movie is not made to have choices. Neither is a book, save CYOA. The entire interactive element of this genre is based on choices. That's why you'd criticize it here.

Well of course, but it was entirely their decision to settle in a gray area. How much choice they provide was entirely up to them, regardless of the imagined constraints on the genre. They probably think that this amount of choices allowed them to create the best possible final product, and I can't say I disagree.
'Should I recommend this to my friends or do I want them to continue to see me as mentally healthy?'

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Pseudogenesis wrote:
Xanatos wrote:

Well of course, but it was entirely their decision to settle in a gray area. How much choice they provide was entirely up to them, regardless of the imagined constraints on the genre. They probably think that this amount of choices allowed them to create the best possible final product, and I can't say I disagree.
Of course it's up to them. That doesn't leave it immune to critique though. Criticizing the amount of choice in this genre is akin to criticizing the length of other games: It's a rather finicky criticism but it's fair game.
Pseudogenesis

Post by Pseudogenesis »

Xanatos wrote:
Pseudogenesis wrote:
Xanatos wrote:

Of course it's up to them. That doesn't leave it immune to critique though. Criticizing the amount of choice in this genre is akin to criticizing the length of other games: It's a rather finicky criticism but it's fair game.
Granted, but it's such an arbitrary criticism. The inclusion of choices doesn't empower the viewer to decide how many would be best. Either you include more, in which case there would be more (and possibly forced) content, or you could include less, and have to cut some things out.

Mysterious Stranger

Post by Mysterious Stranger »

Oh, JewWario's review? I thought it was fairly excellent. I didn't agree with some of his criticisms (the implementation of the H-scenes in particular - for most of them, anyway), but nonetheless I'd say it was not only respectful but exceedingly positive. Despite it being what, six months late?, it's still great to see KS getting more publicity, especially on a site like TGWTG.
| Can you see what I see? | To the end of the Waltz... | First stop, Nagoya! | Oh, come, lovely child! | To the World of Dreams | Pray to become starry sky tomorrow... | Please... forget about me... | No music, no future |