Anyone played pXt/The Answer?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

spirizu

Anyone played pXt/The Answer?

Post by spirizu »

So, I only just found out that 4LS released two other short VNs before KS (possibly as sort of KS trial runs, I 'unno). It's late and I'm tired, so rather than download them, I just thought I'd ask if anyone else has played them/would recommend them?

There seem to be remarkably few references to them on the forum. Don't know what to think of that.
Enemy |

Re: Anyone played pXt/The Answer?

Post by Enemy | »

I played one of them, can't remember the name.
It was mostly a parody/teaching how you should make your own VN.
random

Post by random »

Enemy | wrote:I played one of them, can't remember the name.
It was mostly a parody/teaching how you should make your own VN.

yeah, that's The Answer, I was "meh" and stopped after 2 minutes or so
misterprinny

Post by misterprinny »

spirizu wrote: There seem to be remarkably few references to them on the forum. Don't know what to think of that.
There are remarkably few references to them on the Internet, period. I did some perfunctory searches and all the references I can find are at the actual download links.

So I'm with OP on this one, I'm slightly intrigued.
Head Editor at Stewart-Class 7 Studios, an OELVN studio similar to 4LS. Please check out our blog and website and our forums.
yummines

Post by yummines »

how did you find these?

i have never seen a post from a dev talking about either one.

hrmm can we get Aura or Silentcook in on this?

TO THE ASK THREAD
Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Post by Silentcook »

I-It's not like we ever kept them secret or anything.
Geez!

In other words: you just looked the wrong way.
Shattering your dreams since '94. I also fought COVID in '20 and '21, and all I got was this lousy forum sig.

misterprinny

Post by misterprinny »

Ahh, thanks Silentcook :)

pXt looks pretty interesting, I think I'm going to have to take a look at it now that I know more about it
Head Editor at Stewart-Class 7 Studios, an OELVN studio similar to 4LS. Please check out our blog and website and our forums.
onenightblitz

Post by onenightblitz »

Yes. Played both of them. Now when are you going to release that other VN about foreign people?

EDIT: Also, do you know that Mike Inel has his own VN?
Last edited by onenightblitz on Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

And suddenly Silentcook was a tsundere. :o
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Post by Silentcook »

onenightblitz wrote:EDIT: Also, do you know that Mike Inel has his own VN?
As it happens, I do. Look up the details of the (cancelled :( ) 1.5 update.
Shattering your dreams since '94. I also fought COVID in '20 and '21, and all I got was this lousy forum sig.

spirizu

Post by spirizu »

Right, I've achieved 100% in both by now (I think). Short reviews below.

The Answer

You play Arthur Proxy, a bitter and somewhat schizophrenic individual driven to write an OELVN out of revenge at the current fare available. You meet Sophie Butthurtko (thanks, A22), who reluctantly agrees to help you with it. Much of the VN consists of commentary on VNs and how to make a VN: what can go wrong, what to achieve, what to avoid. There are choices, and there is a True End (with cake. Took me about half an hour to play through the whole thing. The art is monochrome, but it's entertaining enough, largely because the protagonist makes Kenji look stable and well-adjusted. (I particularly enjoyed the Cat in the Hat digression).

pXt

A VN consisting of the meta-play Pyramus and Thisbe from A Midsummer Night's Dream, probably Shakespeare's funniest play (not that there's much competition...). A fairly simple concept: as outlined elsewhere, Aura and delta decided to come up with a VN consisting entirely of unoriginal material: writing, art, music all scrounged from elsewhere. The VN consists of two versions of sprites performing the play: one as it should have been performed, and one as actually performed in A Midsummer Night's Dream (MST1596 on the title screen), complete with the same audience interjections as in the play itself. Obviously, there's no choices but I enjoyed it, largely because I enjoyed AMND. An interesting concept, took me about 15 minutes to play through both versions.

So, two fun little 4LS side projects. To be honest, though, I still preferred KS.
BlackWaltzTheThird

Post by BlackWaltzTheThird »

spirizu wrote:MST1596 on the title screen
Took a look at pXt, and saw that option. I was confused as to what it was, both before and after I clicked it (given I had no knowledge of A Midsummer Night's Dream other than that it is a Shakespearean play). I curious observation is that it shares the same acronym as Myster Science Theatre, except with 1596 as the year instead of 3000. Intentional? Who knows. It probably is.
BlackWaltz's One-stop Oneshot Shop - my fanfiction portal topic. Contains links to all my previous works, plus starting now any new ones I may produce (or reproduce)! Please, check it out!

BlackWaltz's Pastebin - for those who prefer to read things with no formatting and stuff. It's mostly the same as in my thread. Also contains assorted other writing!
onenightblitz

Post by onenightblitz »

spirizu wrote:MST1596
What did I just see?
MST1596 cameos
MST1596 cameos
screenshot0001e.png (392.2 KiB) Viewed 5276 times
stanman237

Post by stanman237 »

pXt

Its funny reading it and remembering A Midsummers Night Dream from school.

Haven't tried The Answer yet.