Your favourite emotional romance VN?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

stanman237

Re: Your favourite emotional romance VN?

Post by stanman237 »

Tununias wrote:
Acerus wrote:So, what other romance visual novels have you all played that managed to incite manly (or not so manly) tears?

For me, G-Senjou no Maou. The "true"/Haru ending really had me going. The epilogue was some powerful stuff too.

Clannad really got me as well, but the impact was kind of diminished since I'd watched the anime first.
Yeah. I watched the Clannad and Clannad After Story animes before I played the game too. :(
That's why I'm holding off watching the Kanon and Air animes until after I play the VNs, and any other animes based off of VNs that I want to play.
One romance VN is Wanko to Kurasou. If you play the Risa route (it's really easy to pick the right options for that route) it will make you cry.
I suggest playing Little Busters right now then as the anime is probably going to come out next year.
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

The one I'd suggest to play is Kana - Little Sister - a really sad and heart-wrenching story with lots of romance, melodrama and tragedy, and all in all simply the best VN ever - at least in my opinion. ;)
dunkelfalke

Post by dunkelfalke »

Crescendo is surprisingly nice, actually.
Kana is great, but IMHO not romantic at all.
The labyrinth of memories that is killing me
gekiganwing

Post by gekiganwing »

My favorite emotional romance visual novels would be...

1. The freeware kinetic novel "A Midsummer Day's Resonance," which was translated by the people at insani.org around 2005. This story take about an hour to read, and contains no choices or gameplay. I'm not entirely sure if I liked the ending, but I won't spoil it. You should still be able to get a fully translated version from Insani.org (check the Altogether section), even though the site stopped updating years ago.

2. "Private Nurse," which was translated by G-Collections almost a decade ago. As much as I liked "Kana Little Sister," it was difficult to describe it as a romance story, especially since the two possible couples both had a lot of problems. I felt that the characters in Private Nurse genuinely liked each other. It had problems, especially after the main story ended, but it impressed me.

3. "Black Pencil," created by Mikey in 2004. It was released right as the western visual novel scene was getting started, and it's still available at http://atpprojects.wordpress.com/original22 . Anyway, I thought Black Pencil was a rather good drama about a man trying to save a woman from death. Lots of tension, when all I wanted was for the story to give these two people a break.