Why I like Shizune's route.

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

metalangel

Re: Why I like Shizune's route.

Post by metalangel »

Helbereth wrote: In a way, they're basically joined at the hip. They work together all the time after class, and they do spend time together when they can get away from Misha - or when Misha is avoiding them. I thought that seemed a little more realistic, too... like a relationship with someone at work.
Plus, even if you remove Misha's love for Shizune, there's still the anger and confusion of having your best friend suddenly in love and having no time for you.
Helbereth

Post by Helbereth »

metalangel wrote:
Helbereth wrote: In a way, they're basically joined at the hip. They work together all the time after class, and they do spend time together when they can get away from Misha - or when Misha is avoiding them. I thought that seemed a little more realistic, too... like a relationship with someone at work.
Plus, even if you remove Misha's love for Shizune, there's still the anger and confusion of having your best friend suddenly in love and having no time for you.
Yeah, I dunno what they call that -third-wheel syndrome, maybe- but even without the confession/rejection angle it made sense that Misha started drawing herself away from them. Like being caught in the middle of any relationship - you kinda wanna get the hell out of there and you definitely don't want to be asked to choose sides.
metalangel

Post by metalangel »

Helbereth wrote: Yeah, I dunno what they call that -third-wheel syndrome, maybe- but even without the confession/rejection angle it made sense that Misha started drawing herself away from them. Like being caught in the middle of any relationship - you kinda wanna get the hell out of there and you definitely don't want to be asked to choose sides.
I've been on both sides of it enough times to know it's not a good thing. It's part of the 'bros before hos' thing, your new boy/girlfriend is exciting, sure, but don't forget us.
Total Destruction

Post by Total Destruction »

Gonna have to agree with the OP. I did Shizune's route first, and I think that it drove the point home that disabilities or no, these people are just that. People. With all the coolness and wackness therein. And I guess I could relate to Shizune and Misha more as well. No inherent craziness, no extremely terrible circumstance, no DON'T LEAVE ME HISAO LOL YO HOME TO SCOTLAND. Just regular people with regular issues trying to handle it in regular ways.
... Danger.
Tomate

Post by Tomate »

Shizune's route is THE route, its a tale about "How Hisao learned to stop worrying and love the boobies", its the only route where Hisao asks a girl out without endless fumbling with words or excessive drama.

Aye, she is Bossy and pushy, but what people fail to notice is that Hisao is way more free on her route, Hisao becomes a man who has his own life and plans and a girlfriend that loves him for what his is not a boy that lives to please his needy and sometimes overbearing girlfriend who has insane trust/communication issues.

The ending can be confusing and bittersweet, but we have to remember that this is a Teen Romance, maybe the first romance, these things are not eternal.
Don't just eat that hamburger, eat the HELL out of it!
Axelownz

Post by Axelownz »

metalangel wrote:
Helbereth wrote: Yeah, I dunno what they call that -third-wheel syndrome, maybe- but even without the confession/rejection angle it made sense that Misha started drawing herself away from them. Like being caught in the middle of any relationship - you kinda wanna get the hell out of there and you definitely don't want to be asked to choose sides.
I've been on both sides of it enough times to know it's not a good thing. It's part of the 'bros before hos' thing, your new boy/girlfriend is exciting, sure, but don't forget us.
Yeah, i know how that is. Going through that with a friend right now. He has a new girlfriend, and i get that he is gonna spend alot more time with her than me and his other friends now so i let him, but. I ended up telling him off though when he made plans to hang with me, and then called me to tell me he had to cancel our plans so he could hang with his girlfriend even though he sees her every single day. I was like gee, thanks bro.
Total Destruction

Post by Total Destruction »

Tomate wrote:Shizune's route is THE route, its a tale about "How Hisao learned to stop worrying and love the boobies"
QFT
... Danger.
Pseudogenesis

Post by Pseudogenesis »

Dear lord I really did not like this route. I alternated between being bored of no character development, tired of inconsequential events and characters, and frustrated that when they finally found some relevant angle Misha's troubles, THEY BARELY EVEN PURSUED IT. Aaaahh, it irritated me to no end. The characters were equal parts uninteresting and unrelatable. I found myself liking Misha more than Shizune. Every aspect of the story seemed like it would go a direction, then went nowhere. The family trip? No developments, character or otherwise. Introduce a character, make him a funny asshole, don't develop, have him fade out of the story. Introduce another, make him the most personalityless character of the game, no development. Hisao was going to teach him sign language because he wanted to be able to talk with his sister, but they didn't even roll with that! He never got around to it, and the one chance they had of making a character appear even remotely human was never taken.

alksfja;lsdjfl;kadjs;flajsd;lfja;lskdjf;lasdjfl;kajsdl;jaiewpjbkaldkjb
The biggest dilemma in Katawa Shoujo:
'Should I recommend this to my friends or do I want them to continue to see me as mentally healthy?'

Mashup of the month: "Damn It Feels Good To Be a Cripple"
Dr. Robotnik

Post by Dr. Robotnik »

I disagree about it being normal, since the weirdest characters in the game are all linked to Shizune, and that Shizune has the most exaggerated body.
Emibro, [Hanabro], [Lilly Lover], Rin Kin, Feminist, [Two-timer]
WorldlyWiseman

Post by WorldlyWiseman »

Dr. Robotnik wrote:I disagree about it being normal, since the weirdest characters in the game are all linked to Shizune, and that Shizune has the most exaggerated body.
Yeah, they should have made her gain ten pounds from all that takeout WAIT NO that is crazy.
Pseudogenesis wrote:Dear lord I really did not like this route. I alternated between being bored of no character development, tired of inconsequential events and characters, and frustrated that when they finally found some relevant angle Misha's troubles, THEY BARELY EVEN PURSUED IT. Aaaahh, it irritated me to no end. The characters were equal parts uninteresting and unrelatable. I found myself liking Misha more than Shizune. Every aspect of the story seemed like it would go a direction, then went nowhere. The family trip? No developments, character or otherwise. Introduce a character, make him a funny asshole, don't develop, have him fade out of the story. Introduce another, make him the most personalityless character of the game, no development. Hisao was going to teach him sign language because he wanted to be able to talk with his sister, but they didn't even roll with that! He never got around to it, and the one chance they had of making a character appear even remotely human was never taken.

alksfja;lsdjfl;kadjs;flajsd;lfja;lskdjf;lasdjfl;kajsdl;jaiewpjbkaldkjb
Try to think of the whole route as exploring Shizune as a character. Her problems aren't yours to solve.

VV - Okay, I see what this is turning into. I'll step back.
Last edited by WorldlyWiseman on Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hanako's favorite joke is The Aristocrats, but she never tells it because Lilly finds it really offensive. Instead, she practices her delivery in front of a mirror when she's alone. It's the only time she never stammers.
Pseudogenesis

Post by Pseudogenesis »

I never said anything of the sort. :/ Hate it when people go into the game (Or assume that others go into the game) because they want to "Fix" the characters.

Her personality was fairly obvious from the beginning. Competitive, daring, driven, and a tad manipulative. And then! *drumroll*

She's exactly the same as at the end as she was from the beginning.
The biggest dilemma in Katawa Shoujo:
'Should I recommend this to my friends or do I want them to continue to see me as mentally healthy?'

Mashup of the month: "Damn It Feels Good To Be a Cripple"
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

Try to think of the whole route as exploring Shizune as a character.
I don't think it works that well there either. By the end of her route, I really didn't feel like I knew her any better than at the end of the first act.
Her problems aren't yours to solve.
Kinda ironic isn't it? She states she was getting close to you to help you with your problems and not only do you make no efforts to help her with hers, but she doesn't seem to try to help herself either. Even Misha's problems are pretty much just ignored until they go away.
Not Dead Yet
Dr. Robotnik

Post by Dr. Robotnik »

Super Opinions about Shizune Fighter IV: Arcade Edition: Version 2012

FIGHT!
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

Dr. Robotnik wrote:Super Opinions about Shizune Fighter IV: Arcade Edition: Version 2012

FIGHT!
I'm waiting for Turbo Champion edition so I get have my karate guy in the purple outfit.
Not Dead Yet
Dr. Robotnik

Post by Dr. Robotnik »

You mean Gen? He's been in since Vanilla!