Cloudland Swing is the best character song?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

dwarduk

Re: Cloudland Swing is the best character song?

Post by dwarduk »

I'd have to say Jitter. So much raw emotion in that turbulent piano. I find it overwhelming every time I hear it
Meiko will be my waifu. I swear it on my honour. </Zuko>
inquisitivenegro

Post by inquisitivenegro »

dwarduk wrote:I'd have to say Jitter. So much raw emotion in that turbulent piano. I find it overwhelming every time I hear it
Yeah, but now think about this: Without having seen the cinematic, your first impression would have been muuch more different
Same for three stars (at best I would've guessed "Friends, romance and fun times at high school") Teatime fast forward (a love song) and 2x400m relay (the running bit is obvious, but...)
$50 says I live more South than all of you
Dr. Robotnik

Post by Dr. Robotnik »

Ah Eh I Oh You. The Nurse might not be a "character" but he should be.
Emibro, [Hanabro], [Lilly Lover], Rin Kin, Feminist, [Two-timer]
Helbereth

Post by Helbereth »

Honestly, all the FMV songs are spot-on. I really enjoyed Jitter the most, though. I don't know much about music or what was actually being played, but the way it shifts manically from discord, into rapid beats, and ends almost peacefully, but still jilted, pretty much spells out Hanako's journey.
inquisitivenegro

Helbereth wrote:Honestly, all the FMV songs are spot-on. I really enjoyed Jitter the most, though. I don't know much about music or what was actually being played, but the way it shifts manically from discord, into rapid beats, and ends almost peacefully, but still jilted, pretty much spells out Hanako's journey.
keyword here is journey aka plot, not character xD
dwarduk

Post by dwarduk »

inquisitivenegro wrote:
dwarduk wrote:I'd have to say Jitter. So much raw emotion in that turbulent piano. I find it overwhelming every time I hear it
Yeah, but now think about this: Without having seen the cinematic, your first impression would have been muuch more different
Same for three stars (at best I would've guessed "Friends, romance and fun times at high school") Teatime fast forward (a love song) and 2x400m relay (the running bit is obvious, but...)
I heard Jitter on the OST before reaching the Hanako route. :P Sorry, but your argument is invalid ^^
inquisitivenegro

dwarduk wrote:
inquisitivenegro wrote:
I heard Jitter on the OST before reaching the Hanako route. :P Sorry, but your argument is invalid ^^
I don't understand...unless you heard the mp3 by itself and thought, "Ah, tragic past, insecurity, unable to reach out for help, cannot step forward to bond with people, trapped forever in overwhelming loneliness..."
I mean these elements all exist within the song but I don't see how you can get all that without any prior knowledge of KS...I would think that at the very least you would need the cinematic.
arrgh look at what you've done now I feel the urge to watch it myself :P
Helbereth

Post by Helbereth »

"Ah, tragic past, insecurity, unable to reach out for help, cannot step forward to bond with people, trapped forever in overwhelming loneliness..."
There are some things music can do which people think it can't - telling a complex story in only a minute without lyrics is actually one of them. To me, Jitter actually pulled that off, even without the FMV - I heard it without the cinema first as well. Then again, it could simply be that because I was similarly situated back in High School, the song had a greater impact on me.
dwarduk

Post by dwarduk »

Haha, no, I didn't know exactly what it meant at the time. I was just listening through and found it and was so impressed. It brought up a fit of frantic, terrified rage in my memory, huge anger lashing out at everyone to keep them from becoming close enough to hurt me. That's why I love Jitter: I feel so much that relates to me in the music.

And it is true that it had a very different first impression to my current thoughts of the piece, but the cinematic added a new layer of meaning, rather than outright changing the meaning of the piece. In effect, it made me feel that much closer to Hanako.
inquisitivenegro

Indeed, imo the cinematic is actually just one way of interpreting the music, but whats really cool is that everyone can have different interpretations but they will all have something in common.
dwarduk wrote: frantic, terrified rage
keep them from becoming close enough to hurt me.
See? And now I must exeunt to finish rewatching all the Act 2 cinematics (missed out Emi and Shizune)