For which character did you feel sad the most?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

For which character did you feel sad the most?

Emi
11%
Hanako
37%
Lilly
5%
Rin
23%
Shizune
5%
Misha
18%

Total votes: 522

Snow_Storm

Re: For which character did you feel sad the most?

Post by Snow_Storm »

Hanako, given the fact she lost her entire family, is physically and mentally fucked up from the fire, self confidence is so low that her only friend is a blind girl, and have folks treating her like she's compeltly broken and needs help 24/7.

Emi's a close second given the facgt she's basically a Hanako but just missing her legs and her father is dead and also mentally fucked up from the car accident but hides it through sex and sports.
C4rnos

Post by C4rnos »

Honestly... after playing through all of the story arcs, it breaks my heart just to play the game again, as i know i can only potentially make 1 or 2 happier with their lives, just knowing the problems the other girls are having makes me wish there was more to do... but alas nothing can be done- it feels almost selfish to choose one girl to love when the others are so hurt and broken...
acewing905

Post by acewing905 »

C4rnos wrote:Honestly... after playing through all of the story arcs, it breaks my heart just to play the game again, as i know i can only potentially make 1 or 2 happier with their lives, just knowing the problems the other girls are having makes me wish there was more to do... but alas nothing can be done- it feels almost selfish to choose one girl to love when the others are so hurt and broken...
This is so true after playing through all paths. In each good ending, four other bad endings (or at least neutral endings, as Hisao isn't there to directly muck something up) will happen. :(
Enemy |

Post by Enemy | »

acewing905 wrote:
C4rnos wrote:Honestly... after playing through all of the story arcs, it breaks my heart just to play the game again, as i know i can only potentially make 1 or 2 happier with their lives, just knowing the problems the other girls are having makes me wish there was more to do... but alas nothing can be done- it feels almost selfish to choose one girl to love when the others are so hurt and broken...
This is so true after playing through all paths. In each good ending, four other bad endings (or at least neutral endings, as Hisao isn't there to directly muck something up) will happen. :(
I think not necessarily.
(spoiler ahoy)
Hanako could've grown out of her shell even without Hisao around, I think. Though we don't get confirmation on that. Emi's problems are mostly about relationships, and she most likely would find someone to make her open up, at some point. I'm not sure myself, but does Rin even go to the studio maker her paintings in other routes? I feel like she only did because Hisao somewhat pressured her to do it, so she might not even go without him around. Shizune keeps her difficulties of keeping and maintaining friends even in her good ending, so I don't think anything changes there. The only thing I can think of for sure is Lilly going away.
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

Enemy | wrote:
acewing905 wrote:
I think not necessarily.
(spoiler ahoy)
Hanako could've grown out of her shell even without Hisao around, I think. Though we don't get confirmation on that. Emi's problems are mostly about relationships, and she most likely would find someone to make her open up, at some point. I'm not sure myself, but does Rin even go to the studio maker her paintings in other routes? I feel like she only did because Hisao somewhat pressured her to do it, so she might not even go without him around. Shizune keeps her difficulties of keeping and maintaining friends even in her good ending, so I don't think anything changes there. The only thing I can think of for sure is Lilly going away.
Late in Shoizune's route, Lilly is still at school. It's possible she didn't want to abandon Hanako with no other friends, but that would mean Hanako hasn't came out of her shell yet either.

I forget which route it is, but in somebody else's story Rin mentions the art teacher has been pressuring her but she mostly just ignores him. That doesn't exactly do much for her inability to communicate with others though.
Not Dead Yet
Paul Atreides

Post by Paul Atreides »

Oddball wrote: I forget which route it is, but in somebody else's story Rin mentions the art teacher has been pressuring her but she mostly just ignores him. That doesn't exactly do much for her inability to communicate with others though.
Emi's, i think.

I chose Rin and surprisingly, because one of the saddest moments i have experienced in the game was at her good ending when After the jerkass Nomiya leaves her alone, Hisao enters and after a bit of talk, he says he can't be his friend (we know why). Then she starts crying and says that what's wrong with her that she can't undertsand anyone. That was very painful for my poor heart
nemz

Post by nemz »

Oddball wrote:Late in Shoizune's route, Lilly is still at school. It's possible she didn't want to abandon Hanako with no other friends, but that would mean Hanako hasn't came out of her shell yet either.
I thought that was confirmed as a miscommunication between the authors and she shouldn't have actually been there.
Rin > Shizune > Emi > Hanako > Lilly
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

nemz wrote:
Oddball wrote:Late in Shoizune's route, Lilly is still at school. It's possible she didn't want to abandon Hanako with no other friends, but that would mean Hanako hasn't came out of her shell yet either.
I thought that was confirmed as a miscommunication between the authors and she shouldn't have actually been there.
Miscommunication or not, she is there, so you can either ignore it or come up with a reason it makes sense. I've always thought the No-prize route was the more fun of the two.
Not Dead Yet
WorldlyWiseman

Post by WorldlyWiseman »

Oddball wrote:
nemz wrote:
Miscommunication or not, she is there, so you can either ignore it or come up with a reason it makes sense. I've always thought the No-prize route was the more fun of the two.
I like to pretend that getting with Shizune triggers some kind of butterfly effect that prevents Lilly's grandmother AUNT from falling ill, because I'm that much of Shizune bro.

EDIT: whoops
Last edited by WorldlyWiseman on Sun May 06, 2012 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hanako's favorite joke is The Aristocrats, but she never tells it because Lilly finds it really offensive. Instead, she practices her delivery in front of a mirror when she's alone. It's the only time she never stammers.
acewing905

Post by acewing905 »

WorldlyWiseman wrote:
I like to pretend that getting with Shizune triggers some kind of butterfly effect that prevents Lilly's grandmother from falling ill, because I'm that much of Shizune bro.
Aunt, I believe, not grandmother. But no, Akira says that they're going away "for a while" when at Shizune's place, so that is probably to see the aunt.
nemz

Post by nemz »

Perhaps her relationship with Hisao is what prompts the parents to want her to come to Scotland, specifically to keep them apart for some reason?
Megumeru

Post by Megumeru »

Two characters strike me the most:

1. Shizune.
She tries her hardest, she puts her best for people around her, yet she is often misunderstood (which is contributed to her inability to relate to people). This is a lot more worse on her bad end when she led herself to belief that everyone left her because of her (which isn't, as Misha thinks its best to leave Hisao and Shizune alone while Hisao believes leaving Misha and Shizune alone is the best solution. Both cancels each other.) She put a lot of trust to those around her and--basically--she just want to make friends but is incapable to do so.

2. Rin
The girl people often say that she has a screw loose on her head. Not exactly. Rin wants to be understood, and since Hisao himself acts like a douche in this arc (at some point), things aren't falling in place like it is supposed to be for the poor girl. Another misunderstood character that holds so much value than what is presented at face.

and timeline considered, with the author miscommunications it supposed to go like this:

(start)--------(school festival)------------------------(Track meet)-------------------------------------------------------(Tanabata)------------------------------------(Summer Vacation)---------------------------------------------------(Graduation)->
(S)--------------[Star gazing]-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------[when stars embrace]---------------------------[Weekend at Shizune's]------[A Story Shizune may never know]-----------(end)->
(R)-------------[By the mural]-----------------------[A favor for Emi]--[Dandelion]-[Art exhibition]---(end)---->
(H)---------[Transient Fireworks]------[Hanako's Birthday]--[Lilly leaves]--[reconciliation]-(end)-->
(L)-----------[Promise of time]---------[Hanako's Birthday]--[Lilly leaves]-----------[T I M E P A R A D O X T I M E P A R A D O X T I M E P A R A D O X P I M E T A R A D O X]--[Lilly's second leave]-------(end)--->
(E)-------------[Is Carnival]-------------------------[Run Emi, Run!]----------[A day at Emi's]--[Graveyard]---(end)-->

....yeah
They say they hate Shizune? What is this? BLASPHEMY!

SHII-HAEL!
Shizune>Rin>Emi>Hanako>Lilly
"A writer is a light that reveals the world of his story from darkness. Shapes it from nothingness. If the writer stops, the world dies with it." - Alan Wake
Yes, I write stories. Currently working on: The Haunting: A Love Story
rydiafan

Post by rydiafan »

as much as i love Shizune ... im gonna go with Misha on this on ... getting rejected by both Hisao and Shizune in the good end ( but stays a loyal friend to both )and Misha fucking everything up in the bad ending outta her love for Shizune ( really a lose lose for Misha )
nemz

Post by nemz »

Lilly vs. Shizune routes are even more screwed up than that, actually. Lilly's final departure was to happen shortly before Tanabata (as mentioned missing it because of Hisao's second hospital stay), but from Shizune's route we're told that festival happens before summer vacation. Thus it makes no sense for Lilly and Akira to be at Shizune's house over the break much less the later completely unexplained appearance she makes. What's more, did Lilly Hisao and Hanako skip classes to go to the summer home, or did summer vacation come before Tanabata? Rin's path also reaches to the beginning of summer vacation, but Tanabata isn't mentioned so there's no tiebreaker.
Roamin12

Post by Roamin12 »

1. Misha- The thing that was best about Shizune's arc, in my opinion, was Misha. Her relationship and unrequited love for Shizune and when I rejected comforting her, was heart wrenching.
2. Hanako- Her past was so sad and lonely, and until Hisao achieves the good end, no one really treats her as an equal, they either pity/try and protect her, bully her, or cringe at the sight of her scars. And the bit with what happened with her parents getting burnt to crisp right in front of her to protect her, that still makes me shudder at the thought of that happening to me with my parents.
First Play through: Lilly>Hanako>Emi>Rin>Shizune
Second Play Through: Hanako>Rin>Lilly>Shizune>Emi
I'm a music enthusiast.