Random KS Discussion

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

SpunkySix

Re: Random KS Discussion

Post by SpunkySix »

So, I got further today in Rin's route. Finding her sleeping was adorable, and so was feeding her oranges. I can see her slipping though, and it's bumming me out. I wonder how exactly the visits will progress. Stopped at "Self Destruction" which seems foreboding.

And I know it's a very small part of the route and I keep coming back to this, but gosh... Emi here. Rin telling her to stay away, and then her wondering if she's annoying. Hisao doesn't talk to her much either... it's like she's alone. Sure, there's the track team, but after practices they don't seem to hang out much. Even in the brief scene with her, knowing what I know from her route, I can see the hurt, and it sucks. I want to let her know how not annoying she is.

There's no dialogue option for that, and Hisao is nice enough, but sort of glosses over it.
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

Significant disfigurement is considered a disability. Let's face it, there's a lot of things Hanako is not going to be able to do, and a lot of jobs she won't be able to hold down due to her appearance.

Just because the scars don't drastically affect her full range of motion doesn't mean they don't drastically affect what she's capable of.
Not Dead Yet
Kibaro

Post by Kibaro »

SpunkySix wrote:So, I got further today in Rin's route.
wait...what? you haven't done every route yet?:-?
Guest Poster

Post by Guest Poster »

Her burns were her original disability. Most of the psychological stuff came later.

A lot of disabilities have to be placed in the proper context. In a dark cave without light, Lilly wouldn't be disabled. In a place where a large part of the student body has a disfigurement of some sort, Hanako's scars aren't a real disability. Before she came to Yamaku, they definitely were.
Sisterhood: True Edition. Hanako epilogue I wrote. Now expanded with additional chapters.
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

Kibaro wrote:
Get off the forum now and don't come back until you've got ALL the endings.
Not Dead Yet
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

Kibaro wrote:
No, but I promised the forum I would to be better informed, and I intend on keeping that promise.
Last edited by SpunkySix on Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"
Munchenhausen

Post by Munchenhausen »

Guest Poster wrote:A lot of disabilities have to be placed in the proper context. In a dark cave without light, Lilly wouldn't be disabled. In a place where a large part of the student body has a disfigurement of some sort, Hanako's scars aren't a real disability. Before she came to Yamaku, they definitely were.
Do correct me if I'm wrong, but I understand a disability to be something that prevents someone from being able to do all the things a normal, healthy person would. Takes away an extent of your abilities as a human... Though I kinda came to that conclusion from the name :lol: Disability, and all that

I see where you're coming from for the Lilly analogy, but the way I see it a sighted person wouldn't be able to see in said dark cave either. To me that doesn't mean that Lilly isn't disabled because her vision is as good as everyone else's, but rather everyone else has been disabled to Lilly's extent. Only difference being that when they all finish their spelunking business, Lilly still can't see shit.
Like stupid, silly doodles with no point? You've come to the right place, friend :^)
I also occasionally write oneshots. Why not have a skimread?
Miki fic? Miki fic!
---
"We are a small country full of the most stubborn bastards on the planet. You might want to rethink your actions." - Anon
brythain

Post by brythain »

Munchenhausen wrote:I see where you're coming from for the Lilly analogy, but the way I see it a sighted person wouldn't be able to see in said dark cave either. To me that doesn't mean that Lilly isn't disabled because her vision is as good as everyone else's, but rather everyone else has been disabled to Lilly's extent. Only difference being that when they all finish their spelunking business, Lilly still can't see shit.
I'm with you on that one. 'Ability' comes from Latin 'habilitas' = 'what is in hand, what you have'. A disability is the loss or absence of something that is a normal function; a capability is the presence of something extended beyond normal function (from 'capax' => 'broad, wide, deep'). Hanako's physical disability must have more to do with (perhaps) residual stiffness of movement as a result of a few more deeply burnt areas; anything psychological is not within Yamaku's remit.
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
Guest Poster

Post by Guest Poster »

Do correct me if I'm wrong, but I understand a disability to be something that prevents someone from being able to do all the things a normal, healthy person would.
Like properly functioning in everyday society. If Hanako were alone on a deserted island, she probably wouldn't fare any worse than a non-disabled person. But the same can be said of many psychological disabilities that mainly impact social functioning and they're called disabilities as well.

Especially in a conformist society like Japan's where blending into the group is considered good and sticking out is frowned upon, burns like Hanako are a real disability with very real implications.
Sisterhood: True Edition. Hanako epilogue I wrote. Now expanded with additional chapters.
Kibaro

Post by Kibaro »

SpunkySix wrote:
No, but I promised the forum I would to be better informed, and I intend on keeping that promise.
1700+ posts and not done every route...that....well that's something :)...idk how to take that honestly:))
brythain

Post by brythain »

Kibaro wrote:
SpunkySix wrote:
1700+ posts and not done every route...that....well that's something :)...idk how to take that honestly:))
The first 1500+ were all about Emi. :)
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
Kibaro

Post by Kibaro »

brythain wrote: The first 1500+ were all about Emi. :)
sorry Spunkychan but ^ that just sounds too funny =))) but yeah i love emi as well so don't worry:)
brythain

Post by brythain »

Kibaro wrote:
brythain wrote: The first 1500+ were all about Emi. :)
sorry Spunkychan but ^ that just sounds too funny =))) but yeah i love emi as well so don't worry:)
Hey, I'm a fan of Hisao x Emi too, you know! :D
Sohtak

Post by Sohtak »

Kibaro wrote:
SpunkySix wrote:
I'm at..near 50 posts? And I've only done Hanakos! (Currently on Act 4 of Emi's)
Kibaro

Post by Kibaro »

aren't you guys afraid of spoilers? which are alot btw, despite them being censored, let's face it, if its something censored you want to see it badly, i only joined the forums after i finished KS so i can make my KS experience longer :) but idk not doing other routes and coming here with that many stuff ...i wouldn't be able to do that:)