Random KS Discussion

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Broomhead

Re: Random KS Discussion

Post by Broomhead »

Charmant wrote: Rin rhymes with bin. :|
It all depends on which language you are using to pronounce it with.
  • Japanese (Where the game is set) = Rin (Wean) The I is pronounced like the e in we.
    English (Trade Language) = Rin (Bin) The I is pronounced like... the i in bin.
(Almost said Rin was canonically originally from Korea.)
Personally, I think the argument is a bit moot. I mean, how do you pronounce half the characters in LoL? I guarantee you won't find an answer the fans agree on for a single one. How do you pronounce mana?
Lilly = Rin > Hanako > Emi > Misha > Shizune

I'm back in action.
brythain

Post by brythain »

Broomhead wrote:How do you pronounce mana?
For languages I don't know, I always default to simple vowels with consistent usage until I'm corrected. So I'd go with ma-na, with each 'a' as in 'pa'.
This is the glaring difference between English and many other languages — in 'Abraham', the Hebrew would use the same 'a' as in 'pa' if they inserted such things, you'd probably get 'Ah-vrah-ahm' or something. But the English say 'Ay-brer-ham', giving each 'a' a different value.

So in Rin's case, I use the oriental 'i', which is a bit like the first vowel sound in 'peanut', which very few people pronounce 'pinnet' I think, and which only gets unusually lengthened in places where each vowel gets a larger share (as in pee-er-nerht or something). :twisted:
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
Atario

Post by Atario »

Broomhead wrote:ReignitingThePowderKeg.html
Were you not here for the last huge, week-long fight over this, like five minutes ago?

I reiterate:

(눈_눈)
NB: none of the above is a request

Mutou Gets Fired — a little one-shot fanfic I wrote
Mahorfeus

Post by Mahorfeus »

I'd say that Munchenhausen's plan was a success.
"A very small degree of hope is sufficient to cause the birth of love." -Stendhal
Atario

Post by Atario »

Mahorfeus wrote:I'd say that Munchenhausen's plan was a success.
I'd say Charmant's plan was a success. I know for a fact he knows the correct pronunciation, he's purely trolling and it worked. Munch was only playing on the fact of past wars. Char was trying to start another. And Broom seems like he just loves snatching at bait…

brythain

Post by brythain »

Atario wrote:
I'd say Charmant's plan was a success. I know for a fact he knows the correct pronunciation, he's purely trolling and it worked. Munch was only playing on the fact of past wars. Char was trying to start another. And Broom seems like he just loves snatching at bait…
I don't think it worked the way it usually worked. All of us seem as if we're doing it as if we're bored and just rehashing the annual Christmas pantomime or something. Come on, more passion for the Reen o' the Bean! :D
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
Atario

Post by Atario »

brythain wrote:I don't think it worked the way it usually worked.
Way too soon to call. If someone keeps pokin' the bear, the bear gon' chomp.
Come on, more passion for the Reen o' the Bean! :D
The Rinus de Milo shall stand as a monument for eternity!

Broomhead

Post by Broomhead »

Now with that dealt with. I suppose the bait thing is a tad strange, but I do so like mobiles when other students do them, it just turns me into a kitten. (They are practically the worst project you could do, it's just hanging pictures on the string and writing some basic knowledge on a piece of paper.)
Lilly = Rin > Hanako > Emi > Misha > Shizune

I'm back in action.
Munchenhausen

Post by Munchenhausen »

This was not in my plans D:

Well, I knew it was going to happen, but it wasn't my main objective ;)
Like stupid, silly doodles with no point? You've come to the right place, friend :^)
I also occasionally write oneshots. Why not have a skimread?
Miki fic? Miki fic!
---
"We are a small country full of the most stubborn bastards on the planet. You might want to rethink your actions." - Anon
Megumeru

Post by Megumeru »

Broomhead wrote:
  • Japanese (Where the game is set) = Rin (Wean) The I is pronounced like the e in we.
Close, but not quite true.

I can't find an easy way to describe it, but putting it into katakana her name would only have two vowels (vowels?) 「リン」, and those are pronounced almost separately but together, so ri-n--similar in a sense to 'bin'.

Her name is shorter though 「林」
They say they hate Shizune? What is this? BLASPHEMY!

SHII-HAEL!
Shizune>Rin>Emi>Hanako>Lilly
"A writer is a light that reveals the world of his story from darkness. Shapes it from nothingness. If the writer stops, the world dies with it." - Alan Wake
Yes, I write stories. Currently working on: The Haunting: A Love Story
FelOnyx

Post by FelOnyx »

Megumeru wrote: her name would only have two vowels (vowels?)
I think you're looking for "syllables"
Last edited by FelOnyx on Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AlexG wrote:For a moment there I thought Marx woke up as some kind of stripper in the middle ages
BlackGoldShooter wrote:This is what happens when children don't eat their vegetables. First they start manufacturing statuettes. Next they take over the world.
brythain

Post by brythain »

Megumeru wrote:
Broomhead wrote:
Close, but not quite true.

I can't find an easy way to describe it, but putting it into katakana her name would only have two vowels (vowels?) 「リン」, and those are pronounced almost separately but together, so ri-n--similar in a sense to 'bin'.

Her name is shorter though 「林」
I don't know if it helps, but in Mandarin Chinese, the word 「林」is pronounced 'lin' with a rising tone. What you can do to hear this sound is go to Google Translate, type in 'forest' on the English side, which will translate to Chinese on the other side as '林'. Then hit the 'speaker' icon to hear the sound. And then you'll realise why people have all these arguments about what that sound really is.

Edit: you can get a similar effect by just switching to Japanese, typing 'Rin Tezuka' on a keyboard as usual (English characters) and then hitting the speaker icon. Inflection is a bit odd though.
300BillionDegrees

Post by 300BillionDegrees »

Google/Wiktionary says her name should be 凛 so obviously all you people who actually speak Japanese and are in or around Japan must be wrong :P
brythain

Post by brythain »

300BillionDegrees wrote:Google/Wiktionary says her name should be 凛 so obviously all you people who actually speak Japanese and are in or around Japan must be wrong :P
Same vowel, different tone. Paste into Google translate, do the same thing. :)
Atario

Post by Atario »

Megumeru wrote:Close, but not quite true.
You're being too polite — it's not close at all. Bin has a completely different vowel sound from a much closer one we're perfectly capable of saying using only English sounds. This mistake arises from English speakers naïvely guessing-by-reading instead of finding out properly. Same reason people say calzone as though it's a zone for guys named Cal, instead of an Italian dish: they never heard anyone say it properly, only reading it and guessing (or aping others who read and guessed), unlike with, say, pizza, which no one says as "pih-zuh", because they heard it said at least as semi-properly as "peet-suh" all along.

This is just evidence that there are not enough Japanese people named Rin coming over to swat people on the nose with a newspaper for saying their names wrong! :lol:
FelOnyx wrote:
Megumeru wrote: her name would only have two vowels (vowels?)
I think you're looking for "syllables"
Mora, actually. "Rin" has two morae but only one syllable.
brythain wrote:you can get a similar effect by just switching to Japanese, typing 'Rin Tezuka' on a keyboard as usual (English characters) and then hitting the speaker icon. Inflection is a bit odd though.
Hiragana seems to work pretty well. Anyway, this is not a matter of interlingual subtleties like rising tones that English doesn't encode for or the like. It's outright lazy wrongness. "Reen" and "Rihn" are not that close, any more than nice and noose are.