Does Hanako have Borderline Personality Disorder?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Does she?

Definitely
7%
Maybe
15%
No
78%

Total votes: 27

metalangel

Re: Does Hanako have Borderline Personality Disorder?

Post by metalangel »

I don't know where on Earth you guys are getting "Shizune probably has BPD" from. No way.
AaronIsCrunchy

Post by AaronIsCrunchy »

metalangel wrote:I don't know where on Earth you guys are getting "Shizune probably has BPD" from. No way.
Out of all of them, I'd put her at LEAST likely. She doesn't seem like she has extremes of emotions, no real displays of hatred/intense love, she's not reckless, risk-taking, she seems to know where she stands in life and has no trouble with concentration or forming a point (aside from the mute thing).
Because green eyes are best eyes.
http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=9511 - A thread of my drawings. Don't expect a lot.

Potato

Post by Potato »

Hanako? No.

Emi or Rin? Maybe.
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.
Katie

Post by Katie »

Yes, she has Borderline Personality Disorder.

- Frantic efforts to avoid real or imagined abandonment

Sex scene. Enough said.

- A pattern of unstable and intense interpersonal relationships characterized by alternating between extremes of idealization and devaluation

Bad Ending.

- Identity disturbance, such as a significant and persistent unstable self-image or sense of self

Yes.

- Impulsivity in at least two areas that are potentially self-damaging (e.g., spending, sex, substance abuse, reckless driving, binge eating)

She shows impulsivity when running away from people (IGOTTAGODOSOMETHING), so who knows what else she'd do if she weren't holed up in her room all day? I vote yes.

- Recurrent suicidal behavior, gestures, or threats, or self-mutilating behavior

Beyond a shadow of a doubt.

- Emotional instability due to significant reactivity of mood (e.g., intense episodic dysphoria, irritability, or anxiety usually lasting a few hours and only rarely more than a few days)

Yes.

- Chronic feelings of emptiness

No, her endless supply of hatred ensures that she'll never know emptiness.

- Inappropriate, intense anger or difficulty controlling anger (e.g., frequent displays of temper, constant anger, recurrent physical fights)

Yes, Hanako's known for getting into the occasional scuffle.

- Transient, stress-related paranoid thoughts or severe dissociative symptoms

Absolutely.

Eight out of nine symptoms, Hanako confirmed for Borderline Personality Disorder diagnosis.
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

The legend has appeared.
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"
brythain

Post by brythain »

SpunkySix wrote:The legend has appeared.
You know what they say about legends? Emi needs two. :D
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

brythain wrote:
SpunkySix wrote:The legend has appeared.
You know what they say about legends? Emi needs two. :D
Absolutely perfect. :lol:
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

- Recurrent suicidal behavior, gestures, or threats, or self-mutilating behavior

Name one time.
- Inappropriate, intense anger or difficulty controlling anger (e.g., frequent displays of temper, constant anger, recurrent physical fights)

Oh. I see the problem. You're thinking of Dr. Doom. Dr. Doom gets into scuffles. Hanako avoids people and runs away.

It's an obvious mistake. Both are disfigured orphans that read alot and both wear green skirts.
Not Dead Yet
Mandalorian

Post by Mandalorian »

Oddball wrote:

Oh. I see the problem. You're thinking of Dr. Doom. Dr. Doom gets into scuffles. Hanako avoids people and runs away.

It's an obvious mistake. Both are disfigured orphans that read alot and both wear green skirts.
This... I don't even know what to say to this. I'm beginning to question the meaning of my life.
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

Mandalorian wrote:
Oddball wrote:

This... I don't even know what to say to this. I'm beginning to question the meaning of my life.
Join us nihilists... we don't worry about things like that.
brythain

Post by brythain »

SpunkySix wrote:Join us nihilists... we don't worry about things like that.
I bet you pronounce that 'knee-high-lists'. :D
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

brythain wrote:
SpunkySix wrote:Join us nihilists... we don't worry about things like that.
I bet you pronounce that 'knee-high-lists'. :D
oh you
Steinherz

Post by Steinherz »

Oddball wrote:It's an obvious mistake. Both are disfigured orphans that read alot and both wear green skirts.
Hello second signature quote :lol:
I write take a look, would you kindly?
I also draw, kind of.
KeiichiO wrote:You shall now, and forever be known as, "Steinherz, The Great".
Oddball wrote:It's an obvious mistake. Both are disfigured orphans that read alot and both wear green skirts.
Mandalorian

Post by Mandalorian »

SpunkySix wrote:
Mandalorian wrote:This... I don't even know what to say to this. I'm beginning to question the meaning of my life.
Join us nihilists... we don't worry about things like that.
Nah, I'm fine being an objectivist. But anyone's life can be changed when Hanako is so accurately compared to a famous Marvel villain.
Potato

Post by Potato »

Katie wrote:Yes, she has Borderline Personality Disorder.

- Frantic efforts to avoid real or imagined abandonment

Sex scene. Enough said.

- A pattern of unstable and intense interpersonal relationships characterized by alternating between extremes of idealization and devaluation

Bad Ending.

- Identity disturbance, such as a significant and persistent unstable self-image or sense of self

Yes.

- Impulsivity in at least two areas that are potentially self-damaging (e.g., spending, sex, substance abuse, reckless driving, binge eating)

She shows impulsivity when running away from people (IGOTTAGODOSOMETHING), so who knows what else she'd do if she weren't holed up in her room all day? I vote yes.

- Emotional instability due to significant reactivity of mood (e.g., intense episodic dysphoria, irritability, or anxiety usually lasting a few hours and only rarely more than a few days)

Yes.

- Chronic feelings of emptiness

No, her endless supply of hatred ensures that she'll never know emptiness.

- Transient, stress-related paranoid thoughts or severe dissociative symptoms

Absolutely.

Eight out of nine symptoms, Hanako confirmed for Borderline Personality Disorder diagnosis.

UGGGGGH HELLO KATIE WE'VE MISSED YOU

- The sex scene was not a "frantic effort". It was planned out pretty calmly. Though it was about abandonment so I'll give you a half-point.

- The criteria specifies a PATTERN. The bad ending is a singular isolated instance.

- Her self-image, while shitty, is far from unstable. It's pretty consistently shit, actually. She suffers no identity crisis.

- She's skittish around people. No part of that suggests dangerous impulsivity. Your imagined stuff doesn't count, but it's nice to see you're still assuming your fanfiction is all canon...

- She never shows any suicidal tendencies. Do you even understand what "Beyond a shadow of a doubt" means?

- "Endless supply of hatred"...Lol.

- You know who else gets into the occasional scuffle? Your mom. My mom. George Carlin. Babe Ruth, Groucho Marx, Davy Crockett, Tiny Tim, Porky Pig, Hitler, Janis Joplin, Allen Ludden, my uncle Dave, your uncle Dave. Everybody's uncle Dave. An endless stream of uncle Daves...

- She never has any paranoid or dissociative symptoms.

That's...2.5 symptoms because you were right about the emotional instability and you got a half-point on the abandonment thing. 1.5 out of nine symptoms.
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.