If you could be anyone in katawa shoujo, who would it be?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

SpunkySix

Re: If you could be anyone in katawa shoujo, who would it be

Post by SpunkySix »

bhtooefr wrote:Mind you, one thing that would put such a career in severe jeopardy for Emi is the Oscar Pistorius case (the one about his prosthetics, not about the one in which he's alleged to have murdered his girlfriend), which would have been going on during Emi's third year, and didn't reach a resolution until well after she would have had to make a decision about her career path. Clearly the track meets that Yamaku was competing in were not subject to IAAF rules, but university-level meets may well be subject to them.

(And, there is one fanfic on here that actually uses the Oscar Pistorius case as a plot point...)

Athletic scholarships may not have been available to her until that was resolved, which was 2008-05-16, or 1-1.5 months into university for Emi.
That's a shame, because frankly, that was total bullshit. Yeah, not having legs means that your legs can't hurt, (ignoring the phantom pains and bleeding of the stumps because hey, let's be as insensitive and as ignorant to what these people go through here as possible) and prosthetics have some bounce to them, just like real freaking feet, but guess what? All that pressure from every collision with the ground that's supposed to be taken off by having actual limbs? Not dispersed properly anymore. That means the parts of the body that are there take significantly more impact than they would otherwise, causing them to hurt and wear more. It also means that the amputated parts of legs, (for reasons that should be apparent) can't get any stronger than they already are, so much more focus, (and the pain that comes with it) needs to be put into working the parts of the body that can improve during training as well. That should be obvious to anybody who runs regularly enough or knows enough about running to be involved with olympic committees. There's a reason people that run usually have legs, and acting like not having them but instead having some pieces of metal in their place is unfair is a slap in the face to how hard these people have to work even to walk, let alone run.

But- something tells me if that's really what Emi wanted to do with her life, she'd find a way. Pistorius didn't give up specifically because of people like her, and I hardly think some college boards' rejection would stop Emi from doing her thing. She'd train by herself until a decision was made, even if it meant taking on something less satisfactory in the meantime for financial support. She's one of those, as my grandpa puts it, "snot-nosed kid"s that pisses off the competition by working when they're taking off or making excuses, and if she had it in her head that running professionally really was her dream, then she'd make it work eventually.

And being Hisao alongside that for support would be pretty cool. Can you imagine how proud you'd be of that?
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"
brythain

Post by brythain »

bhtooefr wrote:Mind you, one thing that would put such a career in severe jeopardy for Emi is the Oscar Pistorius case (the one about his prosthetics, not about the one in which he's alleged to have murdered his girlfriend), which would have been going on during Emi's third year, and didn't reach a resolution until well after she would have had to make a decision about her career path. Clearly the track meets that Yamaku was competing in were not subject to IAAF rules, but university-level meets may well be subject to them.

(And, there is one fanfic on here that actually uses the Oscar Pistorius case as a plot point...)

Athletic scholarships may not have been available to her until that was resolved, which was 2008-05-16, or 1-1.5 months into university for Emi.
She could always compete in the Paralympics, category T43 or T44.
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
AaronIsCrunchy

Post by AaronIsCrunchy »

brythain wrote:

She could do, and I think she'd start there (either voluntarily or grudgingly), but I think she'd want to prove herself against those with their legs intact (to put it bluntly).
Because green eyes are best eyes.
http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=9511 - A thread of my drawings. Don't expect a lot.

SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

AaronIsCrunchy wrote:
brythain wrote:

She could do, and I think she'd start there (either voluntarily or grudgingly), but I think she'd want to prove herself against those with their legs intact (to put it bluntly).
I just reread that paragraph there... she'd only have to wait two months for university, which equates to a semester. Couldn't she just work out by herself then until the next semester rolled around? Plenty of kids take off an entire year before college, and they don't even have much of a reason for it other than just needing a break. I hardly think Meiko or Hisao would judge her for something like that, especially since she'd have a good reason.

Of course, she wouldn't know how long she'd have to wait, but even being willing to give it a year before moving on would have brought a pleasant surprise along with it, with how relatively quickly the problem was settled.
dewelar

Post by dewelar »

SpunkySix wrote:
AaronIsCrunchy wrote:

brythain wrote:She could always compete in the Paralympics, category T43 or T44.
I just reread that paragraph there... she'd only have to wait two months for university, which equates to a semester. Couldn't she just work out by herself then until the next semester rolled around? Plenty of kids take off an entire year before college, and they don't even have much of a reason for it other than just needing a break. I hardly think Meiko or Hisao would judge her for something like that, especially since she'd have a good reason.

Of course, she wouldn't know how long she'd have to wait, but even being willing to give it a year before moving on would have brought a pleasant surprise along with it, with how relatively quickly the problem was settled.
One issue with that is that she already lost a year due to the accident. Losing another one may be less appealing under the circumstances.
Rin is orthogonal to everything.
Stuff I've written: Developments, a continuation of Lilly's (bad? neutral?) ending - COMPLETE!
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

Right, that's true. I know some schools give out scholarships even after admission though for different semesters, even if you have to transfer. That could be a possibility, as long as her credits moved with her. As for what she'd do in the meantime... that's the real toughie. I wonder how into motivational speaking she'd be. I could see her energy being pretty contagious. Are there any classes for that sort of thing in college even?
bhtooefr

Post by bhtooefr »

Honestly, I think on a good end route, Nurse might push her towards physical therapy as a fallback plan.
bhtooefr's one-shot and drabble thread
Enjoy The Silence - Sequel to All I Have (complete)
Enough is enough! I have had it with these motherfucking zombies on this motherfucking forum!
brythain

Post by brythain »

SpunkySix wrote:Right, that's true. I know some schools give out scholarships even after admission though for different semesters, even if you have to transfer. That could be a possibility, as long as her credits moved with her. As for what she'd do in the meantime... that's the real toughie. I wonder how into motivational speaking she'd be. I could see her energy being pretty contagious. Are there any classes for that sort of thing in college even?
She could always buff up a bit. At higher levels, you'd need a lot more muscle, not just energy and spunkiness. There are many universities in Japan that offer sports + sports science or sports psych. Proper sports degrees, that is; the student will have to do some physiology, bio etc. Yes, she could end up a physiotherapist, coach or even… life sciences teacher.

Edit: Here, have a pic of Emi's prospective mentor, Maya Nakanishi.
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

brythain wrote:
SpunkySix wrote:Right, that's true. I know some schools give out scholarships even after admission though for different semesters, even if you have to transfer. That could be a possibility, as long as her credits moved with her. As for what she'd do in the meantime... that's the real toughie. I wonder how into motivational speaking she'd be. I could see her energy being pretty contagious. Are there any classes for that sort of thing in college even?
She could always buff up a bit. At higher levels, you'd need a lot more muscle, not just energy and spunkiness. There are many universities in Japan that offer sports + sports science or sports psych. Proper sports degrees, that is; the student will have to do some physiology, bio etc. Yes, she could end up a physiotherapist, coach or even… life sciences teacher.

Edit: Here, have a pic of Emi's prospective mentor, Maya Nakanishi.
Hm... good ideas. My sister and some friends want to go into physical therapy, and I could see that being up Emi's alley. She'd be interested in the sports aspect, and it'd be a way for her to help others having problems like hers, which she seems to enjoy. She'd just have to focus on the science parts a bit more, and I think Hisao could help with that.

I don't want to comment too much on that picture because then it'll get weird but I feel kind of tingly in my Mr. Bojingly and I like it.
Mandalorian

Post by Mandalorian »

SpunkySix wrote:
Mandalorian wrote:
RandomPerson wrote:"her mother gave her everything and all she does is sit crying or running away from everything."
Wait what? What did her mother give her? Did I miss something?

...well, Emi is literally on track, so I don't know if that counts.
Hanako is such a selfish jerk for taking all that not burning to death from her mother and wasting it by crying and running away from everything even though that's not even remotely accurate. :?
Oh, I understand now. In which case, whoever said that can politely headbutt a speeding train.
linkoid

Post by linkoid »

I change this too often... hmmm, Kenji, his act seems fun
Potato

Post by Potato »

linkoid wrote:I change this too often... hmmm, Kenji, his act seems fun
"If you could be anyone in katawa shoujo..."

Technically, "Everyone, at different times" is a valid answer.
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.
KeiichiO

Post by KeiichiO »

I think i'd be cool with being Rin. I probably wouldn't be asked to take out the trash due to lack of limbs, so that'd be pretty cool.
Zarys

Post by Zarys »

Interresting question...

I'm not sure who to choose, so I'm going to detail my favorite choices : (not a order)
It may be tempting to a choose non-disabled, but is it really good to say that the life of a disabled person is necessarily less good than that the life of a non-disabled ?
I think not and the lives of many seem to me very well despite their disability, some disabled people are happy and some "normal" people aren't, even if I understand that a disability is horrible to live (and honestly, those of the games aren't the worst.)

Hisao: his heart disease is perhaps one of the worst because it reduces his lifespan, he will died probably between 30 and 40 years. (50 if he's lucky), but I find that his life is still very enviable : he seems intelligent, easily find his way in his life AND THE MOST IMPORTANT : he has the potential to find true love. (all of his potential relationship are better that most of us could live), I think it's certainly a short life, but of high quality.

Lilly : She has a pleasant personality, sees things in a positive way, is beautiful, kind, ect ...she has some problems with her parents (peer esteem) and not enough show her emotions but she solves it in the good ending, I find that being Lilly is certainly well, the negative side is that her disability is the hardest to live, but the fact that she was born blind helps and is generally happy.

Emi : Also a pleasant personality, not anxious, insured but has also to some relational problems like all girls but she solves it in the good ending; her disability is the less severe , she is too different from me though.

Shizune : Too different from me and I don't really like how she is, be deaf is also a heavy disability but don't ruin her life, I think she will be happy also.

Hanako : I easily identify with her, I like how she is but be she has certainly not the easiest life, her disability is not very physically disturbing but socially it's still hard to live. (even if you are not shy, you can't go outstide without draw attention).she get better in her good ending and I think she will be happy after. ..she is a good choice for me but it's very personal and not really arguable objectively. (It's more I prefer become someone close to me even with problems than a completly different person, and even with her problems, I have a certain admiration for Hanako)

Kenji : Being him must be horrible.

Mutou : Not disabled, has a permanent job...I can relates with him but he seems be a little sad and maybe a old bachelor; not really a so good life for me; he is old so a great part of his life is gone.

Misha : Not disabled and I can relates with her deep personality but she suffers from a unshared love and she is a lesbian in japan, the life risk to be hard with her.

Nurse : Pretty nice, cheerful, a good job and probably in a relationship with Meiko, and is a second father to Emi, it's seems good to me but a great part of his life is already gone, and he and Meiko will get old fast.

Jigoro : he is fortunate, quite pretty but he is a dork, and what is the deal with reject Hisao for his lifespan and want to become a guy who is almost 50 years ?
"With my eternal life, I will see the world through to its end. Until everyone who won't like me is gone."
— Porky Minch

"Can you face your fears ?"
— Hanako

I speak from the noise
Souls and shapes, forever twisted
the lost voices of the damned
lure the bringer of despair
Broomhead

Post by Broomhead »

Akira. Just... I'm a guy... but it's between her and Hisao, and I could stand for some incest. That aside, also Hisao because Lilly. But Hisao wouldn't be able to do the whole "live past 50" thing, which sucks.
Lilly = Rin > Hanako > Emi > Misha > Shizune

I'm back in action.