Side characters

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Potato

Re: Side characters

Post by Potato »

Silentcook wrote:I blame all those hi-graphics vidya for leading you by the nose and spoiling you rotten 9_9
Silentcook confirmed grumpy old dude in a rocking chair shaking his cane at newfangled young people. :lol:
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

Potato wrote:
Silentcook wrote:I blame all those hi-graphics vidya for leading you by the nose and spoiling you rotten 9_9
Silentcook confirmed grumpy old dude in a rocking chair shaking his cane at newfangled young people. :lol:
Silentcook is Cranky Kong?
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"
Grimnir

Post by Grimnir »

SpunkySix wrote:
Potato wrote:
Silentcook is Cranky Kong?
More like this guy: https://imgflip.com/memegenerator/Back-In-My-Day

Enjoy.
Misha: "Oh, Hi, I'm Misha and this is my hetero-life-mate, Silent Shicchan."
linkoid

Post by linkoid »

AaronIsCrunchy wrote:Having too many characters would end up with a 'War and Peace' style situation
You mean a blood thirsty Shizune, competitive Emi, Protective Lilly, coward Hanako, and (probably) hippie Rin isn't a 'War and Peace' style situation?
brythain

Post by brythain »

linkoid wrote:
AaronIsCrunchy wrote:Having too many characters would end up with a 'War and Peace' style situation
You mean a blood thirsty Shizune, competitive Emi, Protective Lilly, coward Hanako, and (probably) hippie Rin isn't a 'War and Peace' style situation?
I don't know… I suppose you could do a mosaic novel and call it 'War in Pieces'. :D
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
linkoid

Post by linkoid »

What if you could controll the other characters? I'd force Kenji to make love with a feminist, cause him to go on a rampage, have Mutou create a nuke and 'accidently' leave the launch codes in large print around Kenji.
brythain

Post by brythain »

linkoid wrote:What if you could controll the other characters? I'd force Kenji to make love with a feminist, cause him to go on a rampage, have Mutou create a nuke and 'accidently' leave the launch codes in large print around Kenji.
You can. Just go write some fanfic, and you're golden. :)
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

brythain wrote:
linkoid wrote:What if you could controll the other characters? I'd force Kenji to make love with a feminist, cause him to go on a rampage, have Mutou create a nuke and 'accidently' leave the launch codes in large print around Kenji.
That sounds stranger than fiction, man.
linkoid

Post by linkoid »

SpunkySix wrote:
brythain wrote:
That sounds stranger than fiction, man.
Then it is not a VN.
bhtooefr

Post by bhtooefr »

Straight-up sIde stories in a VN format would be quite hard to pull off, but I wouldn't have minded a more... slice of life feel to it. I know it's not actually the case, but it felt like in most routes, all the other characters disappeared.

Basically, KS didn't feel like one story with different paths through it, it felt like five very distinct stories with the same launching point.
bhtooefr's one-shot and drabble thread
Enjoy The Silence - Sequel to All I Have (complete)
Enough is enough! I have had it with these motherfucking zombies on this motherfucking forum!
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

bhtooefr wrote:Straight-up sIde stories in a VN format would be quite hard to pull off, but I wouldn't have minded a more... slice of life feel to it. I know it's not actually the case, but it felt like in most routes, all the other characters disappeared.

Basically, KS didn't feel like one story with different paths through it, it felt like five very distinct stories with the same launching point.
I will say that I felt sort of bad about just kind of abandoning Lilly to the point where she thought I forgot about her. Especially after learning the consequences of that, like being called away to Scotland and having to leave Hanako all alone.
brythain

Post by brythain »

bhtooefr wrote:Straight-up sIde stories in a VN format would be quite hard to pull off, but I wouldn't have minded a more... slice of life feel to it. I know it's not actually the case, but it felt like in most routes, all the other characters disappeared.

I agree with that myself, because of the constraints inflicted by single-person perspective and time control. What makes it very different from many other VNs is the disparity in timelines for the five stories, so to speak. They're not parallel, so give the sensation of radiating from a point in most cases.

The easiest way (if you can call it that) to reconcile the plot is to start with the earliest ending (Hanako's?) and then work outwards. Or perhaps Lilly's neutral ending, which I think is the 'laziest' option for a writer.
Potato

Post by Potato »

That's because that's exactly what it was. :lol:
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.
Rhodri

Post by Rhodri »

Too be honest, one of things that drew me in KS when I first saw Jessie Cox do a session on it (as much as I like the guy, he didn't really do the game any justice) was the panning shot across 3-3. Seeing all of the classmates made made me ask "Are we gonna interact with these people?" While it turned out into a bit of a unintended tease, thats what we have the fan fiction section for! :D

Still, would have liked to at least have a conversation with the likes of Takashi (thanks to General Bernard Montgomery I have a soft spot for berets) and Akio (looks classy as fuck in my mind).
"She also ties you up to a chair. You're gonna like that. Chairs are good. Chairs are your friend."

BeeFhGhost, Jan 15th 2012.
AaronIsCrunchy

Post by AaronIsCrunchy »

Rhodri wrote:Too be honest, one of things that drew me in KS when I first saw Jessie Cox do a session on it (as much as I like the guy, he didn't really do the game any justice) was the panning shot across 3-3. Seeing all of the classmates made made me ask "Are we gonna interact with these people?" While it turned out into a bit of a unintended tease, thats what we have the fan fiction section for! :D

Still, would have liked to at least have a conversation with the likes of Takashi (thanks to General Bernard Montgomery I have a soft spot for berets) and Akio (looks classy as fuck in my mind).
I think given Hisao's enthusiasm about reading, he could have gotten on quite well with Akio what with him being in the Literature Club. I think it was said, or at least suggested, that Hisao read fiction.
Because green eyes are best eyes.
http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=9511 - A thread of my drawings. Don't expect a lot.