Yamaku Book Club (20220124 Dish Washing)

WORDS WORDS WORDS

forgetmenot

Re: Yamaku Book Club

Post by forgetmenot »

Mirage_GSM wrote:Best restrict suggestions to PMs, too.
It might be worthwhile to add this to the top post, lest the forum's no requesting rule be breached.
Mournful3ch0

Post by Mournful3ch0 »

Sea wrote:Making everyone read 'With Apologies to Harlan Ellison'...

With the recent reappearance of Doomish...
Nah, I'm kidding. It's well written, but don't go seeking enjoyment from it. You will gain nothing and lose a lot.
Sea wrote:Pro tip: DONT LOOK THAT UP.
Do with it what you will. I never finished it, yet I do have plans to. Just... be warned. It is not for the faint of heart or frail of mind.
EDIT: Finished it. Not pleasant, no happy ending to be found. "And for the rest of eternity, my mind screams."
Image "Forsooth, that line was feeble." - Courtesy of Mirage_GSM
Image "It occurs to me that maybe I’m an idiot." - Thanks to Jaspirian
Helbereth

Post by Helbereth »

Mournful3ch0 wrote:
Sea wrote:Making everyone read 'With Apologies to Harlan Ellison'...
With the recent reappearance of Doomish...
Nah, I'm kidding. It's well written, but don't go seeking enjoyment from it. You will gain nothing and lose a lot.
"With Apologies..." is about 90% responsible for my ever having started writing fan fiction. You could say that without that story being here, I would never have started writing Tomorrow's Doom.
Mournful3ch0

Post by Mournful3ch0 »

Helbereth wrote:"With Apologies..." is about 90% responsible for my ever having started writing fan fiction. You could say that without that story being here, I would never have started writing Tomorrow's Doom.
... Definitely not what I expected to read from you. Point stands. Read at your own risk.
Image "Forsooth, that line was feeble." - Courtesy of Mirage_GSM
Image "It occurs to me that maybe I’m an idiot." - Thanks to Jaspirian
Comrade

Post by Comrade »

I think that a good length for a meeting is 48 hours. It would give enough time for everyone to take part in the discussions.
And if we do indeed scrap the "democratic process" for some reason, I see no need in having a members list, or in fact membersgip at all
Founder and cheif librarian ofThe Yamaku Library, A Fan Fiction Archive
Vice president of the Yamaku Book Club
Sea wrote:Comrade, as Khan Bek has convinced me to give Democracy a try.
"French are just Spanish Germans, therefore Mexicans."
An American, 2014
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

48 hours is enough for everyone to write their opinion - not for a discussion^^°

And I never saw the need for a membership in the first place. Everyone is a member of the forum already, aren't they?
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Mahorfeus

Post by Mahorfeus »

This forum is not exactly a chatroom. A discussion should probably last at least as long as the time that was dedicated to reading the story in the first place, if not more. The longer the story, the more there is to discuss, after all. Even more so if the author is able to contribute additional insight.
"A very small degree of hope is sufficient to cause the birth of love." -Stendhal
dewelar

Post by dewelar »

Maybe instead of a time limit on discussion, we could say that once 24 hours passes without any relevant posts (as determined by Sea), discussion has concluded and we can start the next cycle.
Rin is orthogonal to everything.
Stuff I've written: Developments, a continuation of Lilly's (bad? neutral?) ending - COMPLETE!
brythain

Post by brythain »

dewelar wrote:Maybe instead of a time limit on discussion, we could say that once 24 hours passes without any relevant posts (as determined by Sea), discussion has concluded and we can start the next cycle.
Seconded. Also, perhaps good to think about the issues raised in discussion elsewhere. That is, no longer with a focus on the text; someone could just sum up and put them in another thread so that discussion can continue in a more general form. That way we can 'clean up' for the next round.
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
Helbereth

Post by Helbereth »

brythain wrote:
dewelar wrote:Maybe instead of a time limit on discussion, we could say that once 24 hours passes without any relevant posts (as determined by Sea), discussion has concluded and we can start the next cycle.
Seconded. Also, perhaps good to think about the issues raised in discussion elsewhere. That is, no longer with a focus on the text; someone could just sum up and put them in another thread so that discussion can continue in a more general form. That way we can 'clean up' for the next round.
It might be more useful simply to create a menu on the first post with links to the start of each individual story discussion. Like chapters are listed on most multi-chapter threads.
Comrade

Post by Comrade »

Helbereth wrote:
brythain wrote:
It might be more useful simply to create a menu on the first post with links to the start of each individual story discussion. Like chapters are listed on most multi-chapter threads.
Yes that will be what we'll end up doing.

And I see no reason to put ti death the idea of Sea putting up four options for the next round and have members vote for them, without justification.
An American, 2014
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Comrade wrote:And I see no reason to put ti death the idea of Sea putting up four options for the next round and have members vote for them, without justification.
Well, this would result in more than a page of useless voting posts, or worse people arguing about which story to read next, and also it would be dangerously close to breaking the "No requesting" rule.
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Comrade

Post by Comrade »

Than we could have the votes in PM to the president and any votes on the thread itself, or all posts regarding the vote would be diqualified
An American, 2014
Craftyatom

Post by Craftyatom »

Comrade wrote:Than we could have the votes in PM to the president and any votes on the thread itself, or all posts regarding the vote would be diqualified
If you're looking for a vote on a set number of topics, then a site like Strawpoll would probably do the job, rather than having to flood Sea with PMs :P
Main route: COM(promise)
One-shots: Crafty's One-Shots (Dark Winter Sky, Dreamy, Path of Least Resistance, Project Blue Curtain, and more!)
Old poetry: Google Drive Collection
Comrade

Post by Comrade »

Craftyatom wrote:
Comrade wrote:Than we could have the votes in PM to the president and any votes on the thread itself, or all posts regarding the vote would be diqualified
If you're looking for a vote on a set number of topics, then a site like Strawpoll would probably do the job, rather than having to flood Sea with PMs :P
but then we couldn't tell members from non members apart. i also think it would be a good idea if we stay within the forum.
An American, 2014