Why is your favorite girl your favorite?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Why are you in love with her?

Looks
13%
Personality
19%
Social skills
8%
Attitudes/interests
14%
Sex scenes
4%
Back-story
7%
Future potential
8%
Similarity to myself
11%
Dissimilarity from myself
4%
Similarity to a real-life person I love(d)
5%
Dissimilarity from a real-life person I hate(d)
1%
First I was familiar with ("First girl wins")
4%
Last I was familiar with ("Last girl wins")
0%
Other (explain in comments)
1%

Total votes: 271

someguy1294

Re: Why is your favorite girl your favorite?

Post by someguy1294 »

Atario wrote:
She's also one of the few character who doesn't let Shizune's bitching affect her.
I think she does, though. Shizune pesters Rin to get the mural finished on time, and she runs herself ragged doing just that. It's kind of a foreshadowing of how she acts later on regarding the gallery showing, too — she lets pressure to produce get to her.
Hmm... Kinda forgot about that scene, actually.

But here's a question for you: was Rin desperate to get her mural done because of Shizune's pressure, or because finishing the mural was important to Rin? Personally, I like to think that Rin wanted the mural finished in time for the festival so that 'everyone' would see it. To me, it's part of that whole 'gotta express myself, gotta find someone who understands' theme that's central to much of Rin's route.

Now, the comparison between the mural and the gallery is intriguing... I think that one of the reasons Rin went nuts when she was working to get stuff done for the gallery was that being an artist was becoming too large a part of her identity, to the point that she felt like she had to be nothing but and artist. Thus, she lost touch of everything else that was important to her: the sky, walks through the forest, Hisao... note that her first steps towards getting her head straight come when Hisao takes her away from her studio, away from her art. The walk through the city reconnects Rin to her ability to explore and dream. More importantly, it pulls her away form the artificial environment of the art back into the real world. Rin had to learn, I think, that she couldn't just be an artist. She had to be a person.

Just a thought.

Also: I think my interpretation of Hanko's route was severely poisoned by TvTropes. In retrospect, I think I just read that choice the wrong way.
My OC, Kuki Kamikogo: http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=9500

Favorite Katawa Girls, in Order from Best to Worst:
Rin, Hanako, Misha, Miki, Akira, Emi's Mom, Emi, Yuuko, Shizune, Iwanako, Lilly.

Lilly had a cell-phone. That is all.
Atario

Post by Atario »

someguy1294 wrote:was Rin desperate to get her mural done because of Shizune's pressure, or because finishing the mural was important to Rin?
Rin being Rin, it's near-impossible to tell. There are signs either way, of course. Her very underlying theme is, as you say, the need to express herself. But in scenes here and there, someone urging her to do more has a direct effect too.
I think that one of the reasons Rin went nuts when she was working to get stuff done for the gallery was that being an artist was becoming too large a part of her identity, to the point that she felt like she had to be nothing but and artist.
Yeah, there is definitely an unspoken undercurrent of obsession going on there, even for Hisao. It got to the point for me where I was a little weirded out that the actual school became kind of an afterthought for a lot of her route.
Just a thought.
An interesting one!
I think my interpretation of Hanko's route was severely poisoned by TvTropes. In retrospect, I think I just read that choice the wrong way.
I wouldn't blame you too badly for falling prey. It's one of the most pervasive false memes around the game, that I can see. (Maybe in close running with Shizune's route having "Hisao just fucks Misha out of the blue when all she asks for is comfort". That one's much less forgivable, though — shoulda been obvious. I like to think people who think that played at 3am and were half-asleep when the scene came.)
NB: none of the above is a request

Mutou Gets Fired — a little one-shot fanfic I wrote
Steinherz

Post by Steinherz »

Atario wrote:I think my interpretation of Hanako's route was severely poisoned by TvTropes. In retrospect, I think I just read that choice the wrong way.
I wouldn't blame you too badly for falling prey. It's one of the most pervasive false memes around the game, that I can see. (Maybe in close running with Shizune's route having "Hisao just fucks Misha out of the blue when all she asks for is comfort". That one's much less forgivable, though — shoulda been obvious. I like to think people who think that played at 3am and were half-asleep when the scene came.)[/quote]
The Misha thing is because:
-That's not what comfort means
-She only slightly hinted at what she actually wanted.
-It was kind of out of nowhere.
Last edited by Steinherz on Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I write take a look, would you kindly?
I also draw, kind of.
KeiichiO wrote:You shall now, and forever be known as, "Steinherz, The Great".
Oddball wrote:It's an obvious mistake. Both are disfigured orphans that read alot and both wear green skirts.
Potato

Post by Potato »

Steinherz wrote:The Misha thing is because:
-That's not what comfort means
-She only slightly hinted at what she actually wanted.
-It was kind of out of nowhere.

Actually:

- "Comfort" is a common euphemism. 'Comfort women' was even code for "Hookers enlisted to bone Japanese troops during wartime". :lol:
- She very obviously hinted at it. Very, very, very obviously. SHE LITERALLY THREW HERSELF ALL OVER HIM WHILE TRYING TO KISS HIM, WHAT ELSE COULD SHE HAVE MEANT
- It'd be pretty terrible if it was all premeditated. Of course it's out of nowhere. :lol:
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.
Atario

Post by Atario »

Potato wrote:It'd be pretty terrible if it was all premeditated.
It was kinda premeditated. I mean, she had already spent dinnertime with Hisao and Shizune that night, yet afterward followed him to his room, alone, late in the evening. They did talk a bit about Shizune, but she could have done that over the phone at any time, really. But having said that, only kinda. She did spring it a little suddenly. It could easily have been partially spontaneous on her part.

Liminaut

Post by Liminaut »

About the choices in the Hanako route ...

The first time through the route, my thinking was "Hanako is an introvert and introverts draw strength from solitude, so she'll want to be alone now." Playing through the route again and paying more attention this time, in the jazz club Hanako is practically begging Hisao to make a deeper connection to her, and the time after Lilly leaves is ideal.
TyronePotato

Post by TyronePotato »

Hanako is by far my favorite girl. Her backstory is amazing, and her route made me cry multiple times. I AM NOT A SISSY BOY

LOOK AT THAT FACE (my avatar) AND NOT CRY TEARS OF HAPPINESS
ooooh feels.
someguy1294

Post by someguy1294 »

TyronePotato wrote:Hanako is by far my favorite girl. Her backstory is amazing, and her route made me cry multiple times. I AM NOT A SISSY BOY

LOOK AT THAT FACE (my avatar) AND NOT CRY TEARS OF HAPPINESS
Hanako is a real sweet-heart... and honestly, her route is a lot smoother than Rin's, emotionally.

I am utterly baffled that some people interpret Hanako's H-scene as a rape scene.

Rin, Hanako, Misha, Miki, Akira, Emi's Mom, Emi, Yuuko, Shizune, Iwanako, Lilly.

Atario

Post by Atario »

someguy1294 wrote:I am utterly baffled that some people interpret Hanako's H-scene as a rape scene.
Those people are the actual White Knights.

TyronePotato

Post by TyronePotato »

It's not exactly rape. Yes, he did kind of took advantage of the situation, but, Hanako wasn't exactly screaming "no."

Dat face doe

ooooh feels.
Atario

Post by Atario »

TyronePotato wrote:It's not exactly rape. Yes, he did kind of took advantage of the situation
He did just what she intended him to do.
Dat face doe

Pain is extremely common in women having sex for the first time. Or even for the first time in a long time.

Potato

Post by Potato »

TyronePotato wrote:It's not exactly rape.
Correction: It's not rape at all.
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.
someguy1294

Post by someguy1294 »

Potato wrote:
Come to think of it, she kind of took control, albeit in a passive way. She led him to her room, told him to lock the door, and stripped to her undies. Hisao just went along with what Hanako had planned, really...

SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

someguy1294 wrote:
Potato wrote:
Come to think of it, she kind of took control, albeit in a passive way. She led him to her room, told him to lock the door, and stripped to her undies. Hisao just went along with what Hanako had planned, really...
What if she just wanted to be comfortable and secure while they held hands?
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"
someguy1294

Post by someguy1294 »

SpunkySix wrote: What if she just wanted to be comfortable and secure while they held hands?
...You do not strip to your undies to hold hands.

That is all.