Why is your favorite girl your favorite?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Why are you in love with her?

Looks
13%
Personality
19%
Social skills
8%
Attitudes/interests
14%
Sex scenes
4%
Back-story
7%
Future potential
8%
Similarity to myself
11%
Dissimilarity from myself
4%
Similarity to a real-life person I love(d)
5%
Dissimilarity from a real-life person I hate(d)
1%
First I was familiar with ("First girl wins")
4%
Last I was familiar with ("Last girl wins")
0%
Other (explain in comments)
1%

Total votes: 271

Potato

Re: Why is your favorite girl your favorite?

Post by Potato »

cantataria wrote:[I restarted the game 56745624 times because I didn't like where my choices got me!]
This is a perfect example of how not to play the game. :P

And you don't need to attend classes to be smart. :lol: Case in point, Hanako. Thankfully Hisao never suggests she's dumb as a hammer...
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.
AaronIsCrunchy

Post by AaronIsCrunchy »

Emi's my favourite, for a few reasons.

Firstly, she was my first. It's a pretty stupid reason, I know, but there's nowt I can do about that so that's the way it is.

Secondly, she reminds me of my girlfriend in quite a few ways. She's about her height, same sort of hair colour, colour eyes, body type, and I do actually call her Emi from time to time so it was only natural it'd make me endeared to her. She's also incredibly driven, and has the ability to pull that puppy-dog face, both akin to my girlfriend's talents. Obviously, there's the thing about her not having legs, which is a difference, and we've been both very slow progressing sexually, but naturally I'd fall in love with her like I did for Emma.

Thirdly, her storyline makes me feel all mushy inside - granted, Lilly's makes me feel mushier, but on balance Emi has got to be my favourite. :)
Because green eyes are best eyes.
http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=9511 - A thread of my drawings. Don't expect a lot.

cantataria

Post by cantataria »

Potato wrote:
cantataria wrote:[I restarted the game 56745624 times because I didn't like where my choices got me!]
This is a perfect example of how not to play the game. :P

And you don't need to attend classes to be smart. :lol: Case in point, Hanako. Thankfully Hisao never suggests she's dumb as a hammer...
ya it was a dumb move lmao. i enjoyed all the characters by the end pretty much equally though, like even my favourite is just by a hair.
oh and ofc she's still smart. sorry badly phrased. i just think like, everyone would've seen how smart she was had she attended classes/she would've done very well. actually i think it's implied somewhere in lilly's route that she does do quite well after being motivated to study? idk whatever she is smart adorable etc etc.
Rudz

Post by Rudz »

My favorite has to be Hanako, and no - not because she was my first play-through. :P

It is actually down to a number of reasons. In a way, the way Hisao is in this story is almost exactly how I was for years (minus the assuming she want's the D cause she stripped a little to show you her scars...) with some girlfriends I had. This isn't the Hanako's Broken Heart thread - so I won't go into details. I mean I was the same, I wanted to protect them, I wanted to do everything in my power to erase the troubles of their past and be their 'white knight'. It is never a good thing, that I had to learn the hard way. But to see Hisao make the same mistakes as me, I felt a sense of familiarity with myself that I don't get with other play-throughs, really. Apart from maybe a little in Emi's.

That and I naturally feel inclined to reach out to those who feel socially excluded, because I have been there and still am there sometimes.
"I can't help...feeling a bit happy. For so long...that's what I've wanted...to hear..."
Potato

Post by Potato »

Rudz wrote:minus the assuming she want's the D cause she stripped a little to show you her scars...
Except that assumption is exactly right in Hanako's case. :lol:
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.
someguy1294

Post by someguy1294 »

Why do I love Rin so much? Hmmm... let's see...

First off, I find the concept of a girl with no arms trying to hug you completely adorable. Plus, she's an artist, and as an artist/writer, I always find myself drawn to creative people. Rin is honest, even when she isn't certain what she's trying to say (which is most of the time). She's also one of the few character who doesn't let Shizune's bitching affect her. Everyone else either retaliates (like Lily) or cowers (like Hanako), but Rin doesn't let herself get bogged down. She's her own person, even if she isn't sure who that person is.

Now, about Rin's more annoying traits... Rin's biggest problem, I think, is her inability to express herself, and beneath that, her inability to understand her own feelings. That's why she sends Hisao away and neglects him: she's not being arbitrarily bitchy, she's scared of closeness and doesn't have the words to express that. I feel that Rin wants to do good, wants to be a person and wants to find love, but simply has trouble finding her way... but really, I think everyone has to struggle and explore to become a person, so I find Rin very relateable.

She also has the BEST theme music.
My OC, Kuki Kamikogo: http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=9500

Favorite Katawa Girls, in Order from Best to Worst:
Rin, Hanako, Misha, Miki, Akira, Emi's Mom, Emi, Yuuko, Shizune, Iwanako, Lilly.

Lilly had a cell-phone. That is all.
someguy1294

Post by someguy1294 »

Rudz wrote:My favorite has to be Hanako, and no - not because she was my first play-through. :P

It is actually down to a number of reasons. In a way, the way Hisao is in this story is almost exactly how I was for years (minus the assuming she want's the D cause she stripped a little to show you her scars...) with some girlfriends I had. This isn't the Hanako's Broken Heart thread - so I won't go into details. I mean I was the same, I wanted to protect them, I wanted to do everything in my power to erase the troubles of their past and be their 'white knight'. It is never a good thing, that I had to learn the hard way. But to see Hisao make the same mistakes as me, I felt a sense of familiarity with myself that I don't get with other play-throughs, really. Apart from maybe a little in Emi's.

That and I naturally feel inclined to reach out to those who feel socially excluded, because I have been there and still am there sometimes.
Honestly, I didn't care for Hanako initially. I simply found her too timid and flighty. That said, I really enjoyed her route once I got into it. She's got some very cute and endearing traits, and a very positive ending. I have to say thought, that her do or die choice go to town or call it a day severely pissed me off. Why?

The assumption the writers appear to be making is that saying 'call it a day' is an act on the reader's part to protect Hanako: it's the idea that she's too shy and fragile to go around in public that's supposed to be so damning. The thing is, making that choice had nothing to do with white-knighting for me. I was simply a little emotionally rung-out from the previous scenes; that exhaustion influenced my decision more than anything else. Not to mention that making the wrong choice there actually robs you of the ability to make a choice later... severely annoying. I'm practically screaming at Hisao to give Hanako space, but I have no power to make a significant choice.

Rin, Hanako, Misha, Miki, Akira, Emi's Mom, Emi, Yuuko, Shizune, Iwanako, Lilly.

pandaphil

Post by pandaphil »

someguy1294 wrote:
Honestly, I didn't care for Hanako initially. I simply found her too timid and flighty. That said, I really enjoyed her route once I got into it. She's got some very cute and endearing traits, and a very positive ending. I have to say thought, that her do or die choice go to town or call it a day severely pissed me off. Why?

The assumption the writers appear to be making is that saying 'call it a day' is an act on the reader's part to protect Hanako: it's the idea that she's too shy and fragile to go around in public that's supposed to be so damning. The thing is, making that choice had nothing to do with white-knighting for me. I was simply a little emotionally rung-out from the previous scenes; that exhaustion influenced my decision more than anything else. Not to mention that making the wrong choice there actually robs you of the ability to make a choice later... severely annoying. I'm practically screaming at Hisao to give Hanako space, but I have no power to make a significant choice.
I'm a little fuzzy on the scene in question, but it seemed to me that going into town together to get some air, rather than just both of them going back to their dorm rooms and brooding is the best thing for both of them.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." ~ The Doctor.
Potato

Post by Potato »

someguy1294 wrote:The assumption the writers appear to be making is that saying 'call it a day' is an act on the reader's part to protect Hanako: it's the idea that she's too shy and fragile to go around in public that's supposed to be so damning. The thing is, making that choice had nothing to do with white-knighting for me. I was simply a little emotionally rung-out from the previous scenes; that exhaustion influenced my decision more than anything else. Not to mention that making the wrong choice there actually robs you of the ability to make a choice later... severely annoying. I'm practically screaming at Hisao to give Hanako space, but I have no power to make a significant choice.
What's so annoying about it? You chose to send her off back to her room where she can brood and generally be all-around depressing alone inside her head, same as she probably does often enough already. How could you not expect something bad? :lol:

Plus, Hanako cowers from everything, not just Shizune. And few people let Shizune bother them. Dunno where you got this idea that Rin's special for not giving a damn. :lol:
someguy1294

Post by someguy1294 »

Potato wrote:
someguy1294 wrote:The assumption the writers appear to be making is that saying 'call it a day' is an act on the reader's part to protect Hanako: it's the idea that she's too shy and fragile to go around in public that's supposed to be so damning. The thing is, making that choice had nothing to do with white-knighting for me. I was simply a little emotionally rung-out from the previous scenes; that exhaustion influenced my decision more than anything else. Not to mention that making the wrong choice there actually robs you of the ability to make a choice later... severely annoying. I'm practically screaming at Hisao to give Hanako space, but I have no power to make a significant choice.
What's so annoying about it? You chose to send her off back to her room where she can brood and generally be all-around depressing alone inside her head, same as she probably does often enough already. How could you not expect something bad? :lol:

Plus, Hanako cowers from everything, not just Shizune. And few people let Shizune bother them. Dunno where you got this idea that Rin's special for not giving a damn. :lol:
...Except that leaving Hanako in her room to be all alone is later the key to the good ending.

Also, as far as your 'few people let Shizune bother them' theory goes...

Hisao allows Shizune to push him around for much of Act 1. Emi submits when Shizune chastises her for running in the halls. Lily lets Shizune drag her into a bitter argument. Hanako, as already stated, cowers. Out of the four main girls who are not Shizune, Rin is the only one who does not let Shizune's bitching affect her. So... where exactly were you going to show me I was wrong?

Also, you use too many lol faces. It's starting to make you look mocking and disrespectful.

Potato

Post by Potato »

someguy1294 wrote:So... where exactly were you going to show me I was wrong?

Also, you use too many lol faces. It's starting to make you look mocking and disrespectful.
Gonna put a cap on the entire thought process behind that question right off the bat: This is a discussion, not a debate. There's no right or wrong here (putting forth a different viewpoint is not "You were wrong"), there's just typing.

To be fair, Hisao's a depressed apathetic git for much of Act 1. He'd have probably let anyone who bothered to try push him around. And Emi would be an inconsiderate bitch if she didn't submit in that scenario seeing as it's a rule in place specifically due to the particular conditions of the students. And really, I'm not sure how going along with the first person to reach out to you in a new place (Hisao) or accepting that you shouldn't break important rules (Emi) is being bothered so much as...Well, an ordinary reaction to the events in question. They certainly don't seem terribly bothered in either case, excluding Emi's poutiness that she gives when anyone reprimands her anyway. I mean, Hisao's internal monologue likes to complain about Shizune and Misha a lot but he is still going along with them every time without any notable protest. If anything, it seems it's not Shizune herself that bothered him so much as them both refusing to let him go moping around alone like...Well, a depressed git. But neither is being especially bitchy or unpleasant, just kind of persistent when he'd rather be a shut-in.

If it had been anyone other than Shizune, would Hisao have blown them off? It's possible...But given he had literally nothing to do and no one to see in a new and unfamiliar place, coupled with his depression over his new ordeal, he'd be as likely to trudge along behind anybody who gave the opportunity. It's basically what he does for most of Lilly's route, letting her call all the shots and never really voicing opposition.

If it had been anyone other than Shizune, would Emi have shrugged and kept running? Not unless she was a jerk. I'm sure a stern scolding from Lilly (never mind how Lilly would know) or a timid plea from Yuuko would be just as agreeable for her.

Hanako, as stated, cowers from all kinds of situations and people. Her cowering from Shizune doesn't mean much when she's as likely to cower from Kenji or Hisao (at first) or random passersby. That'd be like saying "Everyone hates hot dogs" then singling out a vegan as evidence.

In the cases of all three, Shizune could be replaced and they'd likely react no differently at all. Hisao would get dragged around like a mopey wad, Emi would pout and act sorry and Hanako would cower. It's not Shizune's bitchiness that bothers any of them. Hisao is bugged by persistence. Emi's bugged that she got scolded. Hanako's bugged by...Being around people. In any case, Shizune could be swapped for somebody else sans attitude and they'd react the same.

Lilly's the only one ever really being noticeably bothered and even then, it's mostly their history that does it. Without that long-running grudge stoking the fire, Shizune's attitude would probably slide off Lilly like anything else.

Recap:

Hanako: Bothered by people in general, could be anybody.
Emi: Bothered by reprimands, could come from anybody.
Hisao: Bothered by persistence, could come from anybody.
Lilly: Bothered specifically by Shizune.

One out of five, counting Rin...

Do I use too many lol faces? Huh. :lol: That's weird. :lol: I'll have to watch out for that. :lol:

Okay, now I'm mocking. Seriously, it's laughter, not a middle finger. Your perception of it is noted but incorrect, so I'm still gonna use the faces. Don't get too hung up on 'em. (Ironically, I use them so much to counteract that very perception. I lack a complete comprehension of tone as well as a fully-functional social filter, so I figure happy laughing faces would keep it clear that (whatever my tone may say), the words are meant to be taken lightly.)
Comrade

Post by Comrade »

Anal
Founder and cheif librarian ofThe Yamaku Library, A Fan Fiction Archive
Vice president of the Yamaku Book Club
Sea wrote:Comrade, as Khan Bek has convinced me to give Democracy a try.
"French are just Spanish Germans, therefore Mexicans."
An American, 2014
Potato

Post by Potato »

Comrade wrote:Anal
I feel like Lilly would provide that with some persuasion in booze form. :lol:
pandaphil

Post by pandaphil »

I wouldn't say Hanako cowers from EVERYTHING. She manages to go shopping on her without any difficulty. Also going into town and having tea at the cafe and going into a bar with Hisao, Lilly and Akira.

Its not so much going out in public shes afraid of as it is drawing attention to herself, and the negative thoughts about her that would invite. Especially from her own age group.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." ~ The Doctor.
Atario

Post by Atario »

someguy1294 wrote:Why do I love Rin so much?
Let me count the ways…
She's also one of the few character who doesn't let Shizune's bitching affect her.
I think she does, though. Shizune pesters Rin to get the mural finished on time, and she runs herself ragged doing just that. It's kind of a foreshadowing of how she acts later on regarding the gallery showing, too — she lets pressure to produce get to her.
her do or die choice go to town or call it a day severely pissed me off. Why?

The assumption the writers appear to be making is that saying 'call it a day' is an act on the reader's part to protect Hanako: it's the idea that she's too shy and fragile to go around in public that's supposed to be so damning.
This is only if you start from the myth that her route is about white-knighting. It's really a lot simpler than that: Lilly just left for Scotland. You need to be there for Hanako instead of abandoning her right when she needs you the most.
That's our Comrade! I think we'll keep him. We'll be right back, folks. :lol:
Potato wrote:
I feel like Lilly would provide that with some persuasion in booze form. :lol:
You may have the kernel of a good theory there, Spudster. I've known women like that — drunkasexuals.
NB: none of the above is a request

Mutou Gets Fired — a little one-shot fanfic I wrote