I hate him from the bottom of my heart for being so mean to poor Rin
27%
Other
7%

Total votes: 44

Liminaut

Re: What do you think of Nomiya?

Post by Liminaut »

My take on Nomiya is that with Rin he is working with a genuinely great talent, and he wants to do absolutely what's best for her. As other commenters have remarked on, her grades probably aren't the best, so her only ticket to getting into a major arts program is to establish a reputation through exhibitions. He's got a bit of a blind spot on how emotionally fragile she can be, especially when she's trying her best to live up to other's expectations of her. Granted, working at Yamaku he should be used to handling people with emotional issues.

So -- pretty much a good guy but with a regrettable blind spot.
Denabu

Post by Denabu »

I don't really have a comment to make about Nomiya except the fact that ever since I saw Hisao describe him as 'Flamboyant' that I can't stop reading his voice with a flamboyant/cartoony twang, and it makes me laugh every time.
~Once you pop, the feels don't stop~

Numb

Post by Numb »

Katie wrote:I hate him from the bottom of my heart for being so mean to poor Rin
Picked this, but it's not about Rin honestly. I hate him because he brushes off the death of Sae's husband so casually and doesn't show much care other than "Oh, he was a great artist. A tragedy really", which is probably the most insensitive thing I've ever read. The Rin thing simply reinforced my hatred of him.

EDIT: Also, I see a lot of hate for Jigoro here, and while I do still dislike him (though that's related to writing him), I do have a level of respect for him that others don't seem to. If you don't picture him constantly shouting, he does sometimes open up a little bit, seen here. He's still an asshat, but I believe he doesn't get enough positive attention.
Currently working on: Notes for a new project (Coming Soon™)
I did KS and other songs on note blocks in Minecraft: Playlist here
Old works| Rooftops - An Emi Story| Christmas with the Hakamichis | Not Like Him - Rin Perspective|Blossom - A Miki pseudo-route
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

Numb wrote:
Katie wrote:I hate him from the bottom of my heart for being so mean to poor Rin
Picked this, but it's not about Rin honestly. I hate him because he brushes off the death of Sae's husband so casually and doesn't show much care other than "Oh, he was a great artist. A tragedy really", which is probably the most insensitive thing I've ever read. The Rin thing simply reinforced my hatred of him.

EDIT: Also, I see a lot of hate for Jigoro here, and while I do still dislike him (though that's related to writing him), I do have a level of respect for him that others don't seem to. If you don't picture him constantly shouting, he does sometimes open up a little bit, seen here. He's still an asshat, but I believe he doesn't get enough positive attention.
That bit is ruined for me because he's telling somebody to read an autobiography that hasn't even been finished yet.
Not Dead Yet
Atario

Post by Atario »

Numb wrote:I hate him because he brushes off the death of Sae's husband so casually and doesn't show much care other than "Oh, he was a great artist. A tragedy really", which is probably the most insensitive thing I've ever read.
I think you're being a little uncharitable. I don't know how old you are, but you have to keep in mind that Nomiya and Sae seem to be around 50-ish, which means they're a bit more accustomed to these things than younger people. And her husband died, according to her, over 17 years prior. That's a long time to get used to it. Finally, I don't think he was casual about it at all. Here's the passage:

Nomiya (dreamily): "It felt like I was watching him from afar."
Sae (scowling): "You weren't the only one."
[Nomiya frowns]
Nomiya coughs, looking embarrassed.
Nomiya (seriously): "At any rate, he, um, ended up taking his own life. Such a tragedy."
Nomiya (smiling): "In retrospect, that was what made me choose a career as a teacher in the end."

That's not really what I would call careless. I wouldn't expect him to go into a full-blown crying eulogy right there in front of students, regardless.
NB: none of the above is a request

Mutou Gets Fired — a little one-shot fanfic I wrote
Potato

Post by Potato »

Numb wrote:

If by "open up a little bit", you mean "act like a douche" then yeah, he opens up there. That image really just shows his own arrogance and stupidity, what with him still thinking he's important enough for an autobiography, whining that he's misunderstood, and stubbornly blocking out the reality that Hisao has managed far better in dealing with Shizune in a few months than Jigoro has in all her life, making him pretty much qualified to tell Jigoro how to handle it.
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.
russianspy1234

Post by russianspy1234 »

Where's "I hate him because he is a pervert and clearly has a thing for Rin" option?
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

russianspy1234 wrote:Where's "I hate him because he is a pervert and clearly has a thing for Rin" option?
Why do you think he's a pervert?
Not Dead Yet
Liminaut

Post by Liminaut »

My take on Jigoro: everything that we see is him trying to compensate for a deep cavernous insecurity. Basically I feel sorry for him, and anybody that has to depend on him at all.

I kept on wanting Hisao to challenge him to a fight. "You dissing my vest? YOU DISSING MY VEST? That's it mofo that katana is gonna go where the sun don't shine!"

He's a wuss, Hisao. You can take him.
Potato

Post by Potato »

Liminaut wrote:My take on Jigoro: everything that we see is him trying to compensate for a deep cavernous insecurity. Basically I feel sorry for him, and anybody that has to depend on him at all.

I kept on wanting Hisao to challenge him to a fight. "You dissing my vest? YOU DISSING MY VEST? That's it mofo that katana is gonna go where the sun don't shine!"

But then Hisao would die and it'd be the bad end.
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.
Liminaut

Post by Liminaut »

Potato wrote:
Liminaut wrote:My take on Jigoro: everything that we see is him trying to compensate for a deep cavernous insecurity. Basically I feel sorry for him, and anybody that has to depend on him at all.

But then Hisao would die and it'd be the bad end.
Nah, Jigoro is a bully. Those types tend to back down pretty fast.

Kenji. Hisao should go get Kenji. Then again, Kenji and Jigoro might like each other.
Potato

Post by Potato »

Liminaut wrote:Nah, Jigoro is a bully. Those types tend to back down pretty fast.
It's cute how people still peddle that line in this day and age.

"Bullies back down if you stand up to them" is an unreliable cliche at best, speaking as someone who was heavily bullied before and after that advice, and then became one later because that advice never worked.

If anything, he'd back down just because Hisao's blood is unworthy of contact with his katana. :lol:
Steinherz

Post by Steinherz »

Potato wrote:
Liminaut wrote:Nah, Jigoro is a bully. Those types tend to back down pretty fast.
It's cute how people still peddle that line in this day and age.

"Bullies back down if you stand up to them" is an unreliable cliche at best, speaking as someone who was heavily bullied before and after that advice, and then became one later because that advice never worked.

If anything, he'd back down just because Hisao's blood is unworthy of contact with his katana. :lol:
Truer words have never been spoken.
Most bullies will not back down if you stand up to them. In my experience with my own bullies they only back down only when you show yourself as one target not to be fucked with and pushed too far.
I write take a look, would you kindly?
I also draw, kind of.
KeiichiO wrote:You shall now, and forever be known as, "Steinherz, The Great".
Oddball wrote:It's an obvious mistake. Both are disfigured orphans that read alot and both wear green skirts.
Potato

Post by Potato »

Steinherz wrote:In my experience with my own bullies they only back down only when you show yourself as one target not to be fucked with and pushed too far.
Truth. One of the worst I had finally got himself in line when after calmly enduring his bullshit through yet another class... Soon as the bell rang, I jumped up, threw his books to the floor, inadvertently tore his shirt apart while getting a hold on the collar then backhanded him with the pent-up rage of Zeus on a celibacy streak. :lol: Got in a bit of trouble for it but it was just a formality. To paraphrase the teacher: "He deserved it and it was pretty funny, but the rules say I have to do something about it anyway." On the other hand, just plain old standing up to one got me cornered by a gang of his pals...Luckily, he wore very tuggable jewelry in his ears.

So yeah, standing up generally doesn't do jack unless it hurts or scares them. Some might get lucky and have bullies who are easily intimidated but it's not very reliable wisdom. I mean, if that actually worked, why are there still campaigns to end bullying? :lol:
Steinherz

Post by Steinherz »

Potato wrote:
Steinherz wrote:In my experience with my own bullies they only back down only when you show yourself as one target not to be fucked with and pushed too far.
Truth. One of the worst I had finally got himself in line when after calmly enduring his bullshit through yet another class... Soon as the bell rang, I jumped up, threw his books to the floor, inadvertently tore his shirt apart while getting a hold on the collar then backhanded him with the pent-up rage of Zeus on a celibacy streak. :lol: Got in a bit of trouble for it but it was just a formality. To paraphrase the teacher: "He deserved it and it was pretty funny, but the rules say I have to do something about it anyway." On the other hand, just plain old standing up to one got me cornered by a gang of his pals...Luckily, he wore very tuggable jewelry in his ears.

So yeah, standing up generally doesn't do jack unless it hurts or scares them. Some might get lucky and have bullies who are easily intimidated but it's not very reliable wisdom. I mean, if that actually worked, why are there still campaigns to end bullying? :lol:
Exactly.
Let me just list my two best moments of bully beatdowns:
Seventh Grade, I popped one kid's arm out of the socket then back in before the teacher arrived. So he was in the floor, screaming in pain and looked perfectly fine.

High School: I got my hands onto one of the more painful pressure points and my skill of button-mashing/rapid trigger-finger paid off :3
I write take a look, would you kindly?
I also draw, kind of.
KeiichiO wrote:You shall now, and forever be known as, "Steinherz, The Great".
Oddball wrote:It's an obvious mistake. Both are disfigured orphans that read alot and both wear green skirts.