OC "Neko" - Route [reconsidered]

WORDS WORDS WORDS

bhtooefr

Re: OC "Neko" - Route

Post by bhtooefr »

It's still Technician here in the US. Basic is Canadian (I don't think any other countries use that term, but I may be wrong, and I think Canada's been using that term for quite a while.)

I will note that the pacing feels a touch... off... somehow. I can't quite put my finger on it, and it may just be me. It's like the shorter chapters didn't do much to build the relationship, they acted more as interludes, and the relationship just appeared.

Still, a quite interesting story. (And, I wish I knew someone like her in high school.)
bhtooefr's one-shot and drabble thread
Enjoy The Silence - Sequel to All I Have (complete)
Enough is enough! I have had it with these motherfucking zombies on this motherfucking forum!
NekoDude

Post by NekoDude »

[snip 12]
Last edited by NekoDude on Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Art is never finished, only abandoned.
Nekonomicon thread and downloads
White Mice music!
NekoDude

Post by NekoDude »

[snip 13]
Last edited by NekoDude on Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
White Mice music!
bhtooefr

Post by bhtooefr »

I missed your comment about sporadic E to Lithuania... it's highly improbable on 2 meters at any power level (it'd require multiple hops) - half that distance is fairly improbable, at the outer limits of 2 hops, for that matter.

It's almost exactly 8000 km from Sendai to Vilnius, as the crow flies.

Switch the band to 6, though... and it might actually work. Even on a "few" watts.

http://www.uksmg.org/content/sporade.htm

If you want to run 100 watts, give Neko a 2nd-class license. She's into DXing, and it seems like she has almost no life outside of the hobby, so I assumed she had something better than 4th-class anyway.
Enough is enough! I have had it with these motherfucking zombies on this motherfucking forum!
NekoDude

Post by NekoDude »

[snip 14]
Last edited by NekoDude on Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
White Mice music!
bhtooefr

Post by bhtooefr »

Original text of this post: http://bhtooefr.org/pb/39

Per the link I gave with the license classes, it's power supplied to the antenna. That said, on 2 meters, a directional antenna won't help you get that kind of range unless you're pointing it at a satellite or the moon, 2 meters is far more dependent on line of sight when atmospheric phenomena aren't helping, and even though they are in this case, the kind of phenomena you need to get 8000 km on 2 meters is once-in-a-lifetime level, I'd think.

<snipped rampant speculation about the rig that Yamaku has - cliff's notes, it's probably a Yaesu FT-847, and yes, it is possible for a 3rd or 4th-class operator to transmit with illegal power on it>
Last edited by bhtooefr on Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NekoDude

Post by NekoDude »

[snip 15]
White Mice music!
bhtooefr

Post by bhtooefr »

I believe canon is that Miyagi (homeroom teacher for 3-2)'s subject is English. She's the only named English teacher (and she doesn't get a given name, either), but as I understand there could be more English teachers than just her. She very well could be 3-3's English teacher.

One fanfic had a different (OC) teacher for 3-3, and Miyagi stepped in in his place: http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=6722
NekoDude

Post by NekoDude »

[snip 16]
White Mice music!
dewelar

Post by dewelar »

Never mind. Was not awake yet. My apologies, because I know better than that.
Last edited by dewelar on Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:21 am, edited 3 times in total.
Rin is orthogonal to everything.
Stuff I've written: Developments, a continuation of Lilly's (bad? neutral?) ending - COMPLETE!
bhtooefr

Post by bhtooefr »

Yeah, I assumed that's what you meant, regarding the size.

That pretty much narrows it down to the FT-847, I think (unless you're thinking of an old VHF/UHF-only rig, like maybe the FT-836 or something, but having an antenna tuner is a good sign we're talking about something HF-capable): http://www.rigpix.com/yaesu/ft847.htm
dewelar wrote:In the Japanese school system, teachers have an assigned classroom, and the students move between periods. Miyagi would be the English teacher for all the 3rd-years.
KS and Wikipedia go directly against that... KS shows every scene that Hisao's in class as being in 3-3, and IIRC has teacher changes between classes, even.

And, here's what Wikipedia has to say (from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secondary ... Daily_Life):
Students go to different classrooms for physical education, laboratory classes, or other specialized courses; otherwise, teachers change classrooms instead of the students for the entire day.[4]
It's the US school system where students typically move instead of teachers.
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Don't worry, I'll apply the George Carlin mantra -- "write stoned, edit sober".
You might want to change from "Write stoned, post, edit sober" to "Write stoned, edit sober, post."
It will be, but on more of an "as needed" basis rather than expecting the reader to memorize a bunch of detail that isn't relevant at that point in time. The summary is for an artist, so that he doesn't have to wade through the entire story just to get a decent description. Also, I have no intention of explicitly stating her height or weight in the story, since it's not mentioned in any of the others either. "Taller than so-and-so" perhaps, but not "155 cm, 55 kg".
When introducing a major character, their appearance IS relevant.
Her exact height and weight are not. Not for the readers and not even for the artists.
Last edited by Mirage_GSM on Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
dewelar

Post by dewelar »

bhtooefr wrote:
dewelar wrote:In the Japanese school system, teachers have an assigned classroom, and the students move between periods. Miyagi would be the English teacher for all the 3rd-years.
KS and Wikipedia go directly against that...
Yeah, as I edited above, was not awake yet when I posted that :oops: . The other half is still true though.
Rin is orthogonal to everything.
Stuff I've written: Developments, a continuation of Lilly's (bad? neutral?) ending - COMPLETE!
bhtooefr

Post by bhtooefr »

For that part, I simply wasn't sure how the rotation of teachers worked. If there's just one rotation per year (Yamaku being a smaller school), that makes sense.
NekoDude

Post by NekoDude »

[snip 17]
Last edited by NekoDude on Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
White Mice music!