The Yamaku Library - The fan fiction archive -23/09/14

WORDS WORDS WORDS

Comrade

Re: The Yamaku Library - The fan fiction archive -18/2/14

Post by Comrade »

But I don't think thats what we're going for here. I don't think there's a place where people discuss and recommend fics here.
Founder and cheif librarian ofThe Yamaku Library, A Fan Fiction Archive
Vice president of the Yamaku Book Club
Sea wrote:Comrade, as Khan Bek has convinced me to give Democracy a try.
"French are just Spanish Germans, therefore Mexicans."
An American, 2014
Helbereth

Post by Helbereth »

This is an archive: cold, emotionless, and without favoritism, critique or other subjective connotations.

What Sea is talking about would be a thread where anyone could go in and say:

"Oh My God, you all have to read everything by <insert author>! Seriously, their one-shot, <insert title>, is the best thing I've ever read! Yadda, yadda, yadda... everyone dies in the end, but it's worth every moment!"
(if anyone can identify the example I might be implying, kudos)
Anyway, it's a different kind of idea versus an archive. It would be like an archive except with a personal touch, a reviewer's interpretation, the reader's experience predicted by their peers. It's something that has been done before, but not as a generalized thread.

The way I'd probably work it out would be to reserve a few posts at the front of the page, then invite people to write posts inviting people to read whatever stories they want to recommend. It would then be the archivist's responsibility to create an archive link in those reserved posts leading to each individual recommendation.

Sounds like a lot of work...
Last edited by Helbereth on Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

Guest Poster wrote:Dunno. Isn't the best place to either praise or moan about a fic still the fic's thread itself.
That's kinda what i was thinking.
Not Dead Yet
Numb

Post by Numb »

Helbereth wrote:"Oh My God, you all have to read everything by <insert author>! Seriously, their one-shot, <insert title>, is the best thing I've ever read! Yadda, yadda, yadda... everyone dies in the end, but it's worth every moment!"
(if anyone can identify the example I might be implying, kudos)
My first guess would be something by Doomish, I've heard he has a reputation for dark content, but I haven't had the chance to read any of his material yet. At the risk of sounding narcissistic, my first post here basically killed off everyone involved, so maybe Rooftops, by me? Please don't let it be me, pls no...
Currently working on: Notes for a new project (Coming Soon™)
I did KS and other songs on note blocks in Minecraft: Playlist here
Old works| Rooftops - An Emi Story| Christmas with the Hakamichis | Not Like Him - Rin Perspective|Blossom - A Miki pseudo-route
Helbereth

Post by Helbereth »

Here's all those recommended fics I listed on the book club thread that apparently aren't in the archive:

Code: Select all

[b][url=http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=6632]Reunion[/url][/b] – epilogue by [b]spirizu[/b] (completed, 1262 words)
[b]PoV: [/b]Shizune; [b]Pairings: [/b]none; [b]Begins: [/b]sometime after Act 2
[b]Remarks: [/b]AU

[b][url=http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=6722]Starbursts (Mutou and Miyagi)[/url][/b] – side story by [b]spirizu[/b] (completed?, 4706 words)
[b]PoV: [/b]Miyagi(part 1) + Mutou(part 2); [b]Pairings: [/b]Mutou x Miyagi; [b]Begins: [/b]during the VN timeline
[b]Remarks: [/b]takes place in 2012 instead of 2007

[b][url=http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=6728#p111735]Touchdown Breakdown[/url][/b] – epilogue by [b]Total Destruction[/b] (abandoned, 12019 words)
[b]PoV: [/b]Miki; [b]Pairings: [/b]none; [b]Begins: [/b]post Hanako bad end
[b]Remarks: [/b]strong language

[b][url=http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=6694]Turn to Stone[/url][/b] – prologue by [b]Total Destruction[/b] (completed, 3191 words)
[b]PoV: [/b]Miki; [b]Pairings: [/b]none; [b]Begins: [/b]during 2nd year
[b]Remarks: [/b]strong language

[b][url=http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=6193#p95870]And To Live In Peace[/url][/b] – epilogue by [b]Ascended Flutist[/b] (abandoned, uncounted)
[b]PoV: [/b]Hisao; [b]Pairings: [/b]Hisao X Hanako; [b]Begins: [/b]post Hanako good end
[b]Remarks: [/b]

[b][url=http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=6664#p109573]A Memory Hisao Has Of Lilly[/url][/b] – epilogue by [b]Paddy[/b] (abandoned, uncounted)
[b]PoV: [/b]Hisao; [b]Pairings: [/b]Hisao X Lilly; [b]Begins: [/b]post Lilly good end
[b]Remarks: [/b]It's a collection of shorts following the same timeline.

[b][url=http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=6628]Miki Route[/url][/b] – pseudo-route by [b]Meadows[/b] (abandoned, uncounted)
[b]PoV: [/b]Hisao; [b]Pairings: [/b]Hisao X Miki; [b]Begins: [/b]During Act 1

[b][url=http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=6628](Un)Broken[/url][/b] – prologue by [b]DaGarver[/b] (abandoned, uncounted)
[b]PoV: [/b]Emi; [b]Pairings: [/b]none; [b]Begins: [/b]~10 years prior to the VN

[b][url=http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=6628]Rebellion[/url][/b] – prologue by [b]crushinator[/b] (abandoned, uncounted)
[b]PoV: [/b]Hisao; [b]Pairings: [/b]none; [b]Begins: [/b]set in the distant future
[b]Remarks: [/b]AU, sci-fi, futuristic
Comrade

Re: The Yamaku Library - The fan fiction archive -23/2/14

Post by Comrade »

I'm trying to sort out your submission, and I have to say it would've been nice if you would have put the stories in alphabetical order...

I also like how rebellion is a prolouge set in the distant future :lol:

Added your submissions and refreshed the OP a bit.
An American, 2014
Comrade

Re: The Yamaku Library - The fan fiction archive -25/2/14

Post by Comrade »

Zombies –by Comrade (Abandoned, 4008 words.)
PoV: Various; Pairings: none Begins:
Remarks: Zombies, Gore, Violence.
A moment of silence for the fall of the zombies last stand :cry:

Also i saw some people accidentaly lable stories as "aborted", while the apropriate tag should be "abandoned". Please take note
An American, 2014
brythain

Post by brythain »

Five submissions…

[b][url=http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=9474]After The Dream (Emi's Story)[/url][/b] – Epilogue by [b]brythain[/b] (complete, ca. 10000 words)
[b]PoV: [/b]Emi; [b]Pairings: [/b]Hisao x Emi; [spoiler]Hideaki x Hanako[/spoiler]; [b]Begins: [/b]after Lilly's neutral ending
[b]Remarks: [/b]covers Emi's life

[b][url=http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=9492]After The Dream (Hanako's Story)[/url][/b] – Epilogue by [b]brythain[/b] (complete, ca. 15500 words)
[b]PoV: [/b]Hanako; [b]Pairings: [/b]Hisao x Emi; [spoiler]Hideaki x Hanako[/spoiler]; [b]Begins: [/b]after Lilly's neutral ending
[b]Remarks: [/b]covers Hanako's life

[b][url=http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=9448]After The Dream (Lilly's Story)[/url][/b] – Epilogue by [b]brythain[/b] (complete, ca. 8800 words)
[b]PoV: [/b]Lilly; [b]Pairings: [/b]Hisao x Emi; [spoiler]Hideaki x Hanako[/spoiler]; [b]Begins: [/b]after Lilly's neutral ending
[b]Remarks: [/b]covers Lilly's life

[b][url=http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=9538]After The Dream (Rin's Story)[/url][/b] – Epilogue by [b]brythain[/b] (complete, ca. 14700 words)
[b]PoV: [/b]Rin; [b]Pairings: [/b]Hisao x Emi; [spoiler]Hideaki x Hanako[/spoiler]; [b]Begins: [/b]after Lilly's neutral ending
[b]Remarks: [/b]covers Rin's life

[b][url=http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=9433]After The Dream (Shizune's Story)[/url][/b] – Epilogue by [b]brythain[/b] (complete, ca. 6600 words)
[b]PoV: [/b]Shizune; [b]Pairings: [/b]Hisao x Emi; [spoiler]Hideaki x Hanako[/spoiler]; [b]Begins: [/b]after Lilly's neutral ending
[b]Remarks: [/b]covers Shizune's life
Last edited by brythain on Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:19 am, edited 11 times in total.
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
LorSquirrel

Post by LorSquirrel »

Comrade wrote:
Zombies –by Comrade (Abandoned, 4008 words.)
PoV: Various; Pairings: none Begins:
Remarks: Zombies, Gore, Violence.
A moment of silence for the fall of the zombies last stand :cry:

Also i saw some people accidentaly lable stories as "aborted", while the apropriate tag should be "abandoned". Please take note
Ahem.
Katawa Zhoujo – by lorsquirrel (ongoing, word count pending)
PoV: Various Pairings: none Begins:
Remarks: Zombies, Gore, Violence, Character death
Zombies don't die, they just reanimate.
griffon8

Post by griffon8 »

[b][url=http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=5456&p=102287#p102287]Questions With And Without Answers[/url][/b] – Epilogue by [b]griffon8[/b] (completed, 536 words)
[b]PoV:[/b] Hisao; [b]Pairings:[/b] Hisao x Rin; [b]Begins:[/b] after Rin's good end
I had submitted all my stories before, but this wasn't there. Looks like that's because where this story should be listed, there's a repeat listing of my story, 'The Decision'.
I found out about Katawa Shoujo through the forums of Misfile. There, I am the editor of Misfiled Dreams.

Completed: 100%, including bonus picture. Shizune>Emi>Lilly>Hanako>Rin

Griffon8's Writing
Comrade

Re: The Yamaku Library - The fan fiction archive -13/4/14

Post by Comrade »

Public wordcount operation
Greetings library goers! As you can see our library grew a lot since we started and you can indeed say it is very adueqetly endowed, however a large portion of the entries do not have a wordcount, and i decided to ask you guys to help.
For all those who wish to participate, i will recieve your submissions via PM so that we won't clutter up this thread.
Most document processors have a word count feature, so you'll have to copy the story from the forums and run it through one.

For those who might worry about the no requestin rule i will point out this was approved by silentcook
An American, 2014
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Uhm...
Most of the stories without a wordcount are those that are still ongoing.
I don't think there are more than half a dozen completed stories without at least a rough wordcount.

Edit:
On cursory examination of the archives I've found three. Shouldn't be a problem doing a wordcount for them.
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Comrade

Post by Comrade »

There are plenty of abandoned ones that are still listed as onging wiyhout a wordcount, as well as some ongoing ones with a wordcount. In the case of onging works please submit the wordcount as of the last update.
An American, 2014
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Well, I find wordcounts for ongoing stories to be not really insightful (a story with 1K words might be half done or an abandoned prologue for something) or even misleading - and most of all too much work to bother with, since it's bound to change more or less frequently.
If someone wants to do those, be my guest, but please include an "as of" in the information...
I thought a bit about the "as of what"...
There are two options:
a) "as of chapter XXX" - which really doesn't tell us much except how many words there are per chapter or
b) "as of JUN2013" which also tells us how long it has been since the last update which in turn would be quite useful to gauge if the story is likely to be continued.

In fact that bit of info might be more useful than the wordcount itself... I'll see if I can update some entries accordingly.
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

Honestly, I couldn't care less about word count. Chapter count would be more useful.

But if you are going to keep a word count, you might want to have somebody go back through it and type it out right. I'm pretty sure A Little Push (for example) doesn't have 3.188 words for example. 3,188 might be more accurate. What exactly is .188th of a word anyway?

You want to use , not .
Not Dead Yet