What would your disability be?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Scorch

Re: What would your disability be?

Post by Scorch »

sharkray8 wrote:I've had many disabilities and have overcome most of them but there are still a few I cannot get rid of so easliy
By the way are you allowed to have more than one disability?
i don't see why not. Though I'm sure someone will bring down the judgement hammer.
Full-Paragon

Post by Full-Paragon »

I've actually spent a great deal of time considering whether I would prefer to be blind or deaf. All things considered, I would vastly prefer to be deaf and mute then blind. I already know American Sign Language and use it in my work, and without to much additional effort I could become fully fluent, though it would take a few refresher courses as I don't tend to use more then a few words or phrases in sign in my everyday life.

To me, giving up hearing would be tragic, but here is just so much more you can do with sight in my opinion. Astronomy, reading, and tabletop gaming are my favorite hobbies, and only with a great deal of effort could I learn to read braille as fluently as I can read. Astronomy would be right out, and tabletop gaming all but impossible. It's pretty damn hard to play 40k or Warmahordes if you can't see, and I wouldn't really be able to paint my mini's anymore either.

If I were to have a disability outside of deafness or blindness, I would think autism would be what I would have. I by no means have any sort of PDD, specified or otherwise, but considering the amount of time I've spent working with individuals with autism, I think it would be something I could relate to.
Stories are not about concepts, ideas, or emotions. They are about people. If you can remember that, you can tell a story worth listening to.
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

Just for the hell of it, rather than picking one, I'm going to use the Character Generator I made to randomly assign me one and see how I'd adjust to that. After all, who gets to pick their disability?

So let's see, going with the male student selection gives me.... Maffucci syndrome in left foot.

Hmm... not too horrible. Nasty to look at, but probably not too debilitating. Buying shoes might be an issue. I might have to go with sandles or even barefoot. Depending on how bad it is, it could result in a limp. Again, depending on how bad it is (and assuming I'm at Yamaku, it'd probably be fairly bad) I'd be looking at a significantly unpleasant to look at deformity. I'd have to cut back on my going for long walks some, but it doesn't seem to be too bad a one to be stuck with.
Not Dead Yet
Mahorfeus

Post by Mahorfeus »

Your generator tossed something at me called "Paget's disease." Had to Google that one. Turns out that there's two entirely unrelated diseases by the name, but I'm pretty sure that the bone one is what it refers to.

I... am not quite sure how that would go down at Yamaku. I can certainly imagine it sucking to be in pain all the time, just by moving around. Something that would already be difficult at that point. I don't know what progression stage it would probably be in a teenager though; for one to have it at all would be a pretty a rare case. Supposedly modern treatments are pretty effective, but growing increasingly deformed as you (or I, rather) age would have to be pretty depressing. I already get depressed over stupid crap, so I have no idea how I would respond to something like this.

Eh. Screw what I said before. I'd probably take the lack of legs over that.
"A very small degree of hope is sufficient to cause the birth of love." -Stendhal
sennit

Post by sennit »

I would go with feinting whenever anything startles me too much. Any high negative emotion will equal blackouts. I don't know if that's an actual disability, but I'm making it one :P
Scorch

Post by Scorch »

sennit wrote:I would go with feinting whenever anything startles me too much. Any high negative emotion will equal blackouts. I don't know if that's an actual disability, but I'm making it one :P
That is a rather unfortunate one. What if Emi accidentally hit you while sprinting in the hall? She would probably think you dropped dead instantly!
pandaphil

Post by pandaphil »

Scorch wrote:
sennit wrote:I would go with feinting whenever anything startles me too much. Any high negative emotion will equal blackouts. I don't know if that's an actual disability, but I'm making it one :P
That is a rather unfortunate one. What if Emi accidentally hit you while sprinting in the hall? She would probably think you dropped dead instantly!

Might teach her a lesson.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." ~ The Doctor.
Mahorfeus

Post by Mahorfeus »

pandaphil wrote:
Scorch wrote:

Might teach her a lesson.
Not likely. I don't have that much faith in her. :|
"A very small degree of hope is sufficient to cause the birth of love." -Stendhal
sennit

Post by sennit »

That is a rather unfortunate one. What if Emi accidentally hit you while sprinting in the hall? She would probably think you dropped dead instantly![/quote]

Might teach her a lesson.[/quote]Not likely. I don't have that much faith in her. :|[/quote]

At least when she realizes I'm alive she might make me an extra special lunch :D
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

I believe there's a type of goat with that disability...
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
KeiichiO

Post by KeiichiO »

Xanatos wrote:
Fainting goats. They don't actually faint. Their muscles tense up when they are startled and they are unable to move for a short while. Kinda of an anti-defense mechanism if you ask me.
sennit

Post by sennit »

KeiichiO wrote:
Xanatos wrote:
Fainting goats. They don't actually faint. Their muscles tense up when they are startled and they are unable to move for a short while. Kinda of an anti-defense mechanism if you ask me.
Overall though, it seems like it could work. And I think it would be on the easier end in comparison to some. I would at least probably have a smaller chance of spontaneously dying, which is a plus.
Scorch

Post by Scorch »

That disability seems like more a nuisance then anything, but that's just me. I'd hate to just black out if someone accidentally ran into me or something like that.
sennit

Post by sennit »

It takes all kinds to be apart of the KS universe 8)
Mahorfeus

Post by Mahorfeus »

Well, if all your muscles locked up while you were on a stairway...