VNs with "true endings"

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

muliebrity

Re: VNs with "true endings"

Post by muliebrity »

Xanatos wrote:It's easy to find if you're flexible about piracy. But most things are in that case. :lol: And yes, I believe it does.
Hmm, yes... I will keep this in mind.
KS doesn't have an overarching story. It just has a sliver of story that all routes have in common: "Here's a guy with a shitty heart."
There's also a lot of character relationships. In particular, Lily's and Shizune's families being so close didn't change with your route choice, at all. There was more than just Hisao's issues, but again, this is probably an inescapable part of the medium and I should get over it.
And a fandisk just means bonus stuff. No implication of canon. :P
I know that's not true of Kira☆Kira, but maybe that's because they're still continuing the story across an entirely different series.
And I dunno, I like to think Kenji's end is the truest...Then again, the fanfic I'm writing is full of psychosis and murder so maybe I'm a bit twisted. XD
I knew it wasn't just me! Uh, the liking Kenji's end part, I mean.
Last edited by muliebrity on Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
<Xanatos>: Most certainly, matriarch appreciator.
My hobby: taking Xan quotes out of context.
Unorthodox KS Fanart
I loved every minute of KS, every route.
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

muliebrity wrote:There's also a lot of character relationships. In particular, Lily's and Shizune's families being so close didn't change with your route choice, at all
. There was more than just Hisao's issues, but again, this is probably an inescapable part of the medium and I should get over it.

I knew it wasn't just me! Uh, the liking Kenji's end part, I mean.[/quote]

Shared bits of story across routes =/= overarching story across routes.

And everyone likes Kenji's end. :lol: Except TheHiveMind (Emi's writer) because he hates Kenji.
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
muliebrity

Post by muliebrity »

Xanatos wrote:Shared bits of story across routes =/= overarching story across routes.
It feels that way, though. Feels.
And everyone likes Kenji's end. :lol: Except TheHiveMind (Emi's writer) because he hates Kenji.
He was curiously absent. Shame, Kenji is glorious.
Last edited by muliebrity on Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Unorthodox KS Fanart
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

muliebrity wrote:He was curiously absent. Shame, Kenji is glorious.
:lol: Sadly, many disagree...If KS had a true route/end, I'd hope it was Hisao returning home after reading Iwanako's letter and then we get an Iwanako route.
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
muliebrity

Post by muliebrity »

Xanatos wrote:
:lol: Sadly, many disagree...If KS had a true route/end, I'd hope it was Hisao returning home after reading Iwanako's letter and then we get an Iwanako route.
...That's a really good idea.
Unorthodox KS Fanart
Umber

Post by Umber »

Xanatos wrote:
Xanatos wins the thread. Never thought about that.
-An occasional art thread.
pig dissections and cadaver examinations.
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

muliebrity wrote:
Xanatos wrote:
...That's a really good idea.
I know, right? Oh, and since you weren't around for 2012's Secret Santa, here's something you missed. It's not canon, mind you, but it puts a face to Iwanako for ya.
muliebrity

Post by muliebrity »

I want to be disappointed that it wasn't another scatological comic, but that's pretty great, too.
Unorthodox KS Fanart
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

muliebrity wrote:I want to be disappointed that it wasn't another scatological comic, but that's pretty great, too.
Oh, don't you worry. Keep an eye on the artwork thread and I shall curate many horrors for you...In the meantime, view every picture here.

But yeah, KS ending with Iwanako could have been something interesting...I don't really get true endings though. It's like "Lol, EVERYTHING ELSE WAS A LIE, here's how it really happened."
muliebrity

Post by muliebrity »

Xanatos wrote:Oh, don't you worry. Keep an eye on the artwork thread and I shall curate many horrors for you...
Your avatar just makes that so... Enticing.
But yeah, KS ending with Iwanako could have been something interesting...I don't really get true endings though. It's like "Lol, EVERYTHING ELSE WAS A LIE, here's how it really happened."
Couldn't have put it better myself.
Unorthodox KS Fanart
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

muliebrity wrote:Couldn't have put it better myself.
I actually found a better (funnier) way to put it: The true ending is the mega happy ending.

Another good VN that has a true ending is Muv Luv but I haven't actually finished that one so I can't comment on it much. Regardless of preferred ending though, I'd definitely suggest completing all endings to the VNs you play...You can always make your own canon. :lol: Hell, a guy on this forum even invented an ending where Hisao dies and goes to Heaven or something to better suit him.
OtakuNinja

Post by OtakuNinja »

Kenji's end in the true end. There's no way Hisao will ever be able to get a girlfriend if you don't help him a little. :P
Last edited by OtakuNinja on Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Emibro, Hanabro, [Lilly Lover], Rin Kin, Feminist, Two-timer
(Passively working on my KS YouTube series. Someday...)
Carighan

Post by Carighan »

It can be used to great effect if the character is breaking the fourth wall is an interesting element of your "solution".
Examples I can think of would be 999 or Analogue. Although in Analogue the harem-ending is very gratuitous. :)
The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Although in Analogue the harem-ending is very gratuitous.
All harem endings are. That's what they're for.
Anyway, here's a thought: If KS did have a "true" ending, what would it be?
If it was done Clannad Style Hisao would receive a twinkling star for each time he reaches a good ending.
Then you'd have to restart the game and get to the manly picnic.
After Hisao falls from the roof, he would awaken in the hospital find that his arrythmia has been miraculously cured, and he'd go back to his old school to live happily ever after with Iwanako.*

If it was done Ever17 Style, Hisao would learn a bit more about himself and Yamaku's past with every route. Then, when he finally has reached every good ending, he'd Can't tell you this. And then he'd learn that he No, can't tell you that either and try to Trust me, you don't want to know. And then You'll just have to trust me: It's brilliant!.

Can you guess what my favourite VN next to KS is?
Read it, and for heaven's sake, DO NOT spoil yourself before you do. If there was ever a VN that did True Ending right, it is Ever17.

*Actually that would be way more awesome than Clannad ever was.**
**If I hadn't read the script, I'd be tempted to try it just to see if the devs hid an easter egg there...
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Carighan

Post by Carighan »

Question, having read 999: Is Ever17 similar in the way it's True Ending plays out?
I thought the one in 999 was amazing!
The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.