OC: Mirrors and Windows. Chapter 12 Updated

WORDS WORDS WORDS

Oddball

Re: OC: Mirrors and Windows. Chapter 3

Post by Oddball »

LorSquirrel wrote:I never liked her nick names in the VN because i never knew how to friggin pronounce them.
I always assumed they were pronounced like "High-Chan" and "Shy-Chan".
Not Dead Yet
OtakuNinja

Post by OtakuNinja »

Oddball wrote:
LorSquirrel wrote:I never liked her nick names in the VN because i never knew how to friggin pronounce them.
They're not. :)

They're actually pronounced like "Hit-chan" and "Shit-chan." :lol:
Emibro, Hanabro, [Lilly Lover], Rin Kin, Feminist, Two-timer
(Passively working on my KS YouTube series. Someday...)
LorSquirrel

Post by LorSquirrel »

OtakuNinja wrote:
Oddball wrote:
They're not. :)

you have got to be friggin kidding me! I will never be able to go through the Shizune route ever again.
griffon8

Post by griffon8 »

Oddball wrote:I always assumed they were pronounced like "High-Chan" and "Shy-Chan".
OtakuNinja wrote:They're not. :)

LorSquirrel wrote:you have got to be friggin kidding me! I will never be able to go through the Shizune route ever again.
Yes, friggin kidding. The 'i' is always pronounced like a long 'e'. So they are 'Hee-chan' and 'Shee-chan'.
I found out about Katawa Shoujo through the forums of Misfile. There, I am the editor of Misfiled Dreams.

Completed: 100%, including bonus picture. Shizune>Emi>Lilly>Hanako>Rin

Griffon8's Writing
LorSquirrel

Post by LorSquirrel »

griffon8 wrote:
Oddball wrote:I always assumed they were pronounced like "High-Chan" and "Shy-Chan".
OtakuNinja wrote:They're not. :)

LorSquirrel wrote:you have got to be friggin kidding me! I will never be able to go through the Shizune route ever again.
Yes, friggin kidding. The 'i' is always pronounced like a long 'e'. So they are 'Hee-chan' and 'Shee-chan'.

oh thank god.
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

griffon8 wrote:
OtakuNinja wrote:They're actually pronounced like "Hit-chan" and "Shit-chan." :lol:
Actually, OtakuNinja got it almost right: The I is short.

Hicchan is written ひっちゃん in Hiragana. With a long "I" it would be ひいちゃん

It's a bit hard to describe the pronounciation of "っ" in english... Basically it doubles the consonant that follows, but it doesn't really sound like that.

The best I can come up with is like "hitch" with a (very) short break after the "I", so "hi.chan" and "shi.chan"
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
forgetmenot

Post by forgetmenot »

Mirage_GSM wrote:Hicchan is written ひっちゃん in Hiragana. With a long "I" it would be ひいちゃん

It's a bit hard to describe the pronounciation of "っ" in english... Basically it doubles the consonant that follows, but it doesn't really sound like that.

The best I can come up with is like "hitch" with a (very) short break after the "I", so "hi.chan" and "shi.chan"
I'm yet again astounded by the breadth of your knowledge, Mirage. Also it's good to know I've been saying it right in my head. Too much anime, I suppose.
griffon8

Post by griffon8 »

Huh. I was under the impression there was only one way to pronounce vowels in Japanese, regardless of the writing system used.
I found out about Katawa Shoujo through the forums of Misfile. There, I am the editor of Misfiled Dreams.

Completed: 100%, including bonus picture. Shizune>Emi>Lilly>Hanako>Rin

Griffon8's Writing
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Technically, there is only one way to pronounce vowels:
あ (a) is always pronounced as in harm.
い (i) is always pronounced as in hit.
う (u) is always pronounced as in you.
え (e) is always pronounced as in hell.
お (o) is always pronounced as in hot.

On their own vowels are always short.
To get a long vowel you have to either double it as in しいな Shi-i-na (Misha's name) Or you add an う as in むとう Mu-to-u. Rarely you can also add an お instead like in おおさか O-o-sa-ka.

Also, vowels are sometimes silent, for example です (de-su) is pronounced "des" (as in "destruction").

I've found Japanese pronounciation very easy to learn, because it is almost the same as German and Latin, so if you know one of those languages you'll probably be able to pronounce most Japanese words correctly with little difficulty.
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
LorSquirrel

Post by LorSquirrel »

Mirage_GSM wrote:Technically, there is only one way to pronounce vowels:
あ (a) is always pronounced as in harm.
い (i) is always pronounced as in hit.
う (u) is always pronounced as in you.
え (e) is always pronounced as in hell.
お (o) is always pronounced as in hot.

On their own vowels are always short.
To get a long vowel you have to either double it as in しいな Shi-i-na (Misha's name) Or you add an う as in むとう Mu-to-u. Rarely you can also add an お instead like in おおさか O-o-sa-ka.

Also, vowels are sometimes silent, for example です (de-su) is pronounced "des" (as in "destruction").

I've found Japanese pronounciation very easy to learn, because it is almost the same as German and Latin, so if you know one of those languages you'll probably be able to pronounce most Japanese words correctly with little difficulty.

damn that was extensive
supanova

Post by supanova »

Wow, I show up to Japanese 101. Anyways my mind was bugging me so I thought I'd give some notice about stuff, not sure how many care though. Basically I have my 4th chapter done, but I really wasn't happy with it on it's own so I'll be putting it up tomorrow with chapter 5 once I finish it. I had planned on one a day written if not uploaded. Its not the 4th is unneeded its just that its a bit of a segway to better things. Anyway I can appreciate that my writings a bit slow, however, with the less important introductions done I can now work on developments, the actually interesting stuff. But yeah, I do have a plan for this story, I'm working on my shortcomings, and there should be plot galore from now on. Thankyou for your patience, your criticism, and for being awesome people in general.
a cameo a chapter. that's the plan! Apologies for the inexperience.
LorSquirrel

Post by LorSquirrel »

I think everyone is looking forward to it nova
supanova

Post by supanova »

Well I got them both done. Chapters 4's here and 5 will be up in the next post.

chapter 4

The rest of the day passes by quickly. I managed to catch a bit of sleep in English, I mean my home country made the damn language, I can do this in my sleep. Only problem was waking up to my notes covered in drool, but that's the price you pay. Seems to be a tough subject for others though, I kept getting bugged for help. If it weren't for the weird kid that I think had OCD behind me I’d be the only one people rely on in there. Kept waving his arms every few minutes. Still he had a cool headband. Apart from that I daze my way through math and art before heading to my dorms.

I’m stopped at the main doors by a faint buzzing in my pocket. Did I give someone my number? No-one ever calls me, I was planning on tossing my phone away months ago. Oh wait, must be the girl from my science class. Misha I think it was. Better answer.

“Hello Ricchan~!” I go to turn off loudspeaker before realizing it was never turned on. Pink Floyd strikes again. “Are you busy? You said we could hang out after school! You didn't go and make plans without us did you?”

“Well I did plan on going to bed, but I can spare a little while. What did you have in mind?”

“Bed? Its only 4 in the afternoon! Shicchan says how very lazy of you~!” Of course shes there. I wonder actually, which one of them called me? I know Misha’s the one speaking, but does Shizune get her to make all of her phone calls? My thoughts are interrupted quickly. “It’s your first day, have you been to see the nurse? You should at least meet him. His office is in the auxiliary building, if you go and see him we’ll meet you outside!” Rational thought, what a novelty. Plus its closer than the dorms.

“Sounds reasonable. I'll see you there.” Hanging up I let out a small yawn. Today's going to drag on a bit longer it seems.

After about 30 seconds of silent plodding I find myself in front of a simple sign displaying the title ‘head nurse’. This must be it. I’m sure I’m beckoned inside before I even knock, but I think little of it. In front of me is quite a tall man wearing a lab coat with slit-eyes and a devious grin. I get the image of a snake before I see his hair. Short indigo colored hair, how strange. Considering that today I've seen shades of blue, pink and green this doesn't shock me so much though.

“Oh-ho-ho what have we here? Can I help you young man?” He didn't flinch when I walked in. This might just be a first. Then again, being a medical practitioner I suppose he's seen just as bad if not worse in his time.

“Hello. I was advised to come and speak to the head nurse, and considering you’re the only person in here I’m assuming that must be you. My names Richard Novire, the new arrival.” I get a small smirk, don’t think I said anything funny though.

“Bingo! That’d be me, everyone just calls me nurse though. Using my vast medical knowledge I’m fairly sure I can tell why you’re here, but I should look up your file anyway. Won’t take a moment.” Great, I’m being treated by the Joker. His sarcastic tone of voice aside he doesn't seem too bad though. A bit overly friendly, although that probably helps more people than it hurts. Flipping through his file cabinet of folders he manages to find my file easily enough. “ Okay I’ll take what I said back. Still, this is simple enough to deal with, you should know the drill by now according to what I've got here. I've got to wonder why you refuse any kind of mask though, It’s rather brave to have such an injury open to the world.”

I shrug. “They make it hard to breathe. Plus its harder to hide a mask, I get less hassle without one.” I’d rather not walk around like I’m diseased either.

He hands me a small familiar white bottle before continuing. “Take the usual dose. You adapting to the school alright? Should be quite different to what you’re used to I’d imagine. People are far more understanding around here, well most of them anyway.” All I can do is nod. Apart from the initial shock, no-one seemed to be too bothered by me. Except that one girl who threw up in maths, but I'm sure that was more the algebra than me. The nurses grin vanishes, being replaced with a look of pure focus. I’m quite scared. “Can i give you some advice? If somethings wrong make sure you tell someone. A friend, a classmate, me, whoever. Bottling something up is never good for you. I only say because you seem a bit quiet. It’s alright to be a kid while you can.”

Another patronizing adult. Of course I’m quiet, nothing here is familiar to me at all and I have half my face missing. What am I going to do, learn to speak to two people using my two mouths? Still I know how to get rid of them by now. A simple nod. It doesn't quite convince him, but he drops the subject thankfully. With that over I practically get pushed out the door. It makes sense for him to be busy, after all It’s an entire school for the sick.

As appointments go it was as expected. Quick and simple. I shake my newly acquired medication, enough to last for a while anyway. Can’t see me being back here anytime soon. Lucky break. The bottles small enough to hide too, so I pack it away and wait for my arranged meeting.

A crashing from behind shocks me out of my stupor. A swinging door frames a charging Misha followed closely by a rather displeased Shizune . I’m quite frankly amazed that door didn't come off of its hinges. Is Misha making up for Shizune’s quietness by acting like a walking hurricane? If so its working.

“Hiya Ricchan~! Done already?” She cries in her sing-song way. It’s now obvious how much i despise my new nickname. It was cute at first but now I’m irritated.

“Yeah just finished. Before anything else, will you please stop calling me that. Call me Rich, I’m not a Pokémon. So, did you have anything in mind for something to do?”

The two have a small conversation between themselves before Misha sums up the majority of their efforts with a very enthusiastic “Nope~!” I sigh, figuring at least one of them would have some idea of an activity.

“Okay then, what do you do for fun around here? There anything interesting going on usually?” I figure I should take the nurses advice just a little bit. There's still time to be a kid, I’m not world weary yet. Still hate his condescending act though.

“Erm, me and Shicchan have student council work that eats up most of our time. This school won’t run itself you know!”

“Is it okay to be meeting me here then? I’m sure you’re busy too.”

“Oh Riiiich!” She obnoxiously draws my name out to make a point. “It’s our duty to make sure our student’s well-being is maintained, and you’re one of our students! This is council work~! You could always join us, then we could hang out all the time!” She emphasizes the point with a thunderous clapping.

Paperwork, constant social activity and late hours. That's the fastest no I have ever formed in my head. Still I should be polite, they both seem to want me join a lot.

“I’m gonna go with thanks but no thanks.” I've never seen a person actually deflate before. “There's no like gatherings other than that? A music club, film club that kinda thing?” Maybe if there are I’d be able to get along with people. Keyboard and film are practically my only hobbies bar bowling so here's hoping I’m in luck.

“Of course! They’re two of the most popular clubs the school has. We can show you around them if you want.”

I have my doubts, but how much can it to just look. I’m not obliged to anything yet, so I nod to my helpful companions and let them lead me back into the school. How bad can this be?
supanova

Post by supanova »

And heres the next one. Double post apologies.

chapter 5

The walk is filled with some basic small talk, mostly about England and Japans differences. Neither of the council seems to believe I hate tea. I hope whoever wrote that stereotype in stone is suffering for his crimes. Still, this is nice. I’m starting to feel like an actual person for once. A flight of stairs and a short corridor later we arrive.

“This is the music club! They’re having their meeting right now but you can still have a look around. They hold it here because this is the only soundproofed room.”

I crack the door open and peek inside. Expecting a room full of people I get surprised by the only occupants, a small all girl band of four people playing rock music. They are certainly not bad at all too. Quite a colourful arrangement, some blond playing bass, an indigo haired drummer, a brunette guitarist and a redhead singer. Looks fun. Rather than break up their practice I figure I can ask Shizune and Misha the questions I had, closing the door softly to avoid attention.

“What do you think Riiiich?” Urgh, I have never hated my own name more. Both girls stare at me intently, Shizune appearing more terrifying than inquisitive. I can never tell what she’s thinking behind that stare.

“Well I have some questions. Firstly I thought you said this was a popular club, I see four people. Also, could you see a band with four girls and one guy? It’d be weird.” To be honest I’d like to play my keyboard again. Its good for killing boredom. Playing with others though? I definitely don’t think I’d fit in with those girls. Maybe later in the year.

“Having doubts then?” Damn she saw right through me. “The music clubs always been split into parts, rock band and classic music play on different days. I don’t think you’d look right with them either~! What do you play anyway?” The stare again. It’s like I’m being interrogated.

“A bit of keyboard. Not practiced in about a year though. I’ll come back another day maybe. Can we move on then? You said there was a film club too?”

“Of course! It’s just around the corner. I don’t think they're meeting today though so all we can do is show you the room.”

We set off once more, me and my two tour guides. Sure enough the club room is 10 seconds away. Quite a tall girl leaning on a windowsill comes into view, rather strange considering school finished half hour ago. I think I recognise her from my first class too. Really tanned, long dark hair and of course the first thing I notice, one hand. Definitely one of the more unique sights here.

“Hey there Miki!” Misha cries out. So they know each other. Time to be a third wheel.

“Oh hey Mish, you with newbie?” Ok, so she has a super casual attitude. Kinda fits now i think about it.

“You mean Riiiiiich? Me and Shicchan are showing him where some clubs are! What are you doing around here so late?”

“Was waiting around for Haruhiko but hes a no show. Was gonna jet pretty soon.” I feel really out of place here. I can’t place my finger on whether its because of the sheer casualness of Miki’s speech or being left out of a conversation. I guess this must be how Shizune feels all the time. No wonder shes so distant. Speak of the devil, shes turned to Misha and the two are weaving sign again.

“Hey Riiiich, do you want to go check out the room for a minute? Shicchan has something to talk to Miki about. Council business!”

Thank you ladies. Any reason to get out of there is good enough for me.

I creep into the film room, shutting the door behind me. A single projector is built into the ceiling facing a large white wall. Theres lots of chairs scattered around, with no rhyme or reason and a small desk in the middle of the room. Is this an actual classroom? Well whatever, I can definitely see this being an interesting clubroom.

“Sorry, the zombie apocalypse marathon is Wednesday.” Holy crap, where did that come from? More importantly what the hell did they just say? The first of my questions at least gets answered by a light haired figure rising up from behind the lone desk in the room.

“Or rather were you here for our showing of The Dark Knight? You pull of a pretty convincing Two-Face, but you get half marks for a Joker.” I can’t think. Every fibre of my being wants to slam one of these chairs over this bitch’s head, still . . . I don’t. I can’t move, can’t do anything. Why is she doing this?

“Wha . . .?” Is all I manage to squeak out. By now I’m shaking, half from rage, half from fear.

“Aww it’s another Hanako. You’ve seen her right? Burnt down her side, quiet, twitchy? You should hang out! You’d fit perfectly!”

I don’t care who that is, just stop.

“Why you here anyway, hiding from the world? I would too if I looked like you. All the stares, the whispers, must get to you.”

I’m fighting back tears now. Please stop.

“You should at least learn a trick. Ever tried ventriloquism? That’s talking out the side of your mouth right? You’d be perfect for it!”

Stop!!

I don’t know who you are, why you’re doing this and I don’t care anymore. I run. Through the door, almost slamming into the three mid conversation behind me, down the corridor, again slamming into someone but I’m too focused to care. I need to hide, away from everyone, everything. A store closet, perfect. My day began here, why not let it end here.

Slumping into a corner I wrap my arms round my legs as the last of my defences break. Tears pour down my face, scattering around from my shivering. All i can taste is salt. Even crying one of the most human things possible points out how I’m different, every tear finding its way down my throat. To think, I was actually starting to think this place might be different, that my being here wouldn’t be too bad. All this has done is prove I’m exactly what I was when i first entered through those gates, what I’ve been since two years ago. A freak.

I don’t know how long I’m sat there crying, minutes maybe hours might have passed. I don’t care. Everything starts fading into darkness, the boundaries between objects becoming skewed and blurry. All feeling starts to disappear, I just want to sleep. Wait . . . what? I swear I feel someones arms wrapping around my shoulders, yet I can’t open my eyes enough to tell. The last thing i see is a blur of blue before everything turns to black.
Last edited by supanova on Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MutilatedManequin

Re: OC: Mirrors and Windows. Chapter 5 Updated

Post by MutilatedManequin »

Damn...
Great chapter, but...
Damn....
There is a method to my madness, a random number of random steps done in no particular order to accomplish god knows what