Disturbing Questions about Yamaku

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Fyn

Re: Disturbing Questions about Yamaku

Post by Fyn »

Damn it, so many people replying at once.
I shall wait my turn
Selim Bradley

Post by Selim Bradley »

Yes. Yes, I can.
I am the male version of Hanako Ikezawa.
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Fyn wrote:-That was me and Xanatos messing with each other :lol: :lol: :lol:
Actually, I legitimately find the OP and many more of your posts here unbelievably ridiculous and slightly-less-than-unbelievably dumb as hell. Worst thing since that guy who nitpicked every last minor negative detail of KS and called it a review.

And the fact that real people unexpectedly off themselves sometimes doesn't make Hanako suicidal...That would definitely have been highlighted in-game.

What moron feels guilt for living comfortably anyway? That guy's better off.
Last edited by Xanatos on Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
Selim Bradley

Post by Selim Bradley »

Xanatos wrote: And the fact that real people unexpectedly off themselves doesn't make Hanako suicidal...
If anything, it makes them do the opposite. Her parents died for her to live, so while she sees herself as a burden to society she will continue to live for their sakes.
pandaphil

Post by pandaphil »

Selim Bradley wrote:
Yes. Yes, I can.
People do kill themselves when they feel they've got nothing worth living for.

I could see it as a possibilty if Lily or Hisao had never come into her life. I mean, who else did she have?
Last edited by pandaphil on Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." ~ The Doctor.
Selim Bradley

Post by Selim Bradley »

pandaphil wrote: People do kill themselves when they feel they've got nothing worth living for. I could see it as a possibilty if Lily or Hisao had never come into her life. I mean, who else was there?
While I'm sure the thought has crossed her mind a few times, I don't believe she would act on it. Like I said, her parents died for her to live so her killing herself is an insult to their sacrifice, which imo she wouldn't wish to do.
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

pandaphil wrote:People do kill themselves when they feel they've got nothing worth living for. I could see it as a possibilty if Lily or Hisao had never come into her life. I mean, who else was there?
Not always.

And she has something to live for, even without those two. Her parents died keeping her alive. To kill herself would be irredeemably selfish and make her kind of a shitty human being.
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
pandaphil

Post by pandaphil »

Xanatos wrote:
pandaphil wrote:People do kill themselves when they feel they've got nothing worth living for. I could see it as a possibilty if Lily or Hisao had never come into her life. I mean, who else was there?
Not always.

And she has something to live for, even without those two. Her parents died keeping her alive. To kill herself would be irredeemably selfish and make her kind of a shitty human being.
Possibly. But people don't think about that when they're in the depths of depression and self-loathing.

Even if she didn't kill herself, I can see her turning to alcohol or drugs to deaden the pain.
Last edited by pandaphil on Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." ~ The Doctor.
Fyn

Post by Fyn »

Oh please, what do you expect from a new guy anyway? Newfags cant Triforce!
And the fact that real people unexpectedly off themselves sometimes doesn't make Hanako suicidal...That would definitely have been highlighted in-game.
Not if your writer is too kind to see Hanako in despair. :wink:
If anything, it makes them do the opposite. Her parents died for her to live, so while she sees herself as a burden to society she will continue to live for their sakes.
Nice proverb but had you ever felt the pain of losing the one you love? I assure you, that proverb only works once one has gone over the hill. But Hanako has yet to finish her quest of getting over the pain

EDIT:
DAMN IT!. I CANT REPLY WITHOUT THE "At least one new post has been made to this topic. You may wish to review your post in light of this."
I shall return after 30 mins. I hope its already my turn
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

pandaphil wrote:I can see her turning to alcohol or drugs to deaden the pain.
Based on...What? She's shown no tendency toward drug abuse or alcoholism (and no, her drunken birthday doesn't count). Though Lilly's love of the drink may be a poor influence...

@Fyn: I expect better. The writer had no problem seeing Hanako in despair (you'd know this if you completed the game) and to speculate as such is stupid. That wasn't a proverb. And Hanako has gotten over her pain, post-good-end.
pandaphil

Post by pandaphil »

Xanatos wrote:
Based on...What? She's shown no tendency toward drug abuse or alcoholism (and no, her drunken birthday doesn't count).

@Fyn: I expect better. The writer had no problem seeing Hanako in despair (you'd know this if you completed the game) and to speculate as such is stupid. That wasn't a proverb. And Hanako has gotten over her pain, post-good-end.

Did I miss the whole point of this discussion? I thought we were doing a "What if?" type situation. If Hanako had ended up alone. Sorry, but people aren't going to be able to cope with that level of unhappiness for too many years without something breaking.
Selim Bradley

Post by Selim Bradley »

pandaphil wrote:
Xanatos wrote:
Based on...What? She's shown no tendency toward drug abuse or alcoholism (and no, her drunken birthday doesn't count).

Did I miss the whole point of this discussion? I thought we were doing a "What if?" type situation. If Hanako had ended up alone. Sorry, but people aren't going to be able to cope with that level of unhappiness for too many years without something breaking.
I guess that would depend on how she was raised. For example, if she was taught that drugs were bad, she'd avoid them, but if she wasn't taught that, she might consider it.
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

pandaphil wrote:Did I miss the whole point of this discussion? I thought we were doing a "What if?" type situation. If Hanako had ended up alone. Sorry, but people aren't going to be able to cope with that level of unhappiness for too many years without something breaking.
How many years did she cope before being removed from the bullies outside Yamaku? How many years did she cope inside Yamaku before Lilly came along? She was effectively alone for all of it. I don't see her breaking anytime soon, what-if scenario or otherwise. And if she did break, I'd see her choosing a rather different form of escapism. Maybe books (as was my method - and when school staff took them away for my lack of doing any work, oh boy, that was a fun day...) or games.

@Selim: If she believed they were bad, you mean. People don't always follow what they're taught just because it was taught to them.
Last edited by Xanatos on Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Umber

Post by Umber »

Fyn wrote:
Not if your writer is too kind to see Hanako in despair. :wink:
There's that again.
Fyn wrote:
Nice proverb but had you ever felt the pain of losing the one you love? I assure you, that proverb only works once one has gone over the hill. But Hanako has yet to finish her quest of getting over the pain
Hanako with Hisao, she probably could/would get over the pain. Without Hisao, she would either learn to get over her past (Can you face your fears?), find another Lilly to depend on (should they seperate, I don't know, I haven't done Lilly's arc), or find some other positive solution I can't think of at the moment.

I'm not saying she wouldn't commit suicide, since everything's a possibility, but that's just my two cents. I feel like she would at least attempt the other options should she have some motivation to do it.

@Pandaphil What ifs indeed. Hanako constantly getting into drunken stupors due to depression/other emotional problems, I can see that. Kinda. I would hope that she find some other habit to get things out of her head (ie. Some activity on the computer, punching a Fefnir pillow)
-An occasional art thread.
pig dissections and cadaver examinations.
Selim Bradley

Post by Selim Bradley »

Xanatos wrote:
pandaphil wrote:Did I miss the whole point of this discussion? I thought we were doing a "What if?" type situation. If Hanako had ended up alone. Sorry, but people aren't going to be able to cope with that level of unhappiness for too many years without something breaking.
How many years did she cope before being removed from the bullies outside Yamaku? How many years did she cope inside Yamaku before Lilly came along? She was effectively alone for all of it. I don't see her breaking anytime soon, what-if scenario or otherwise.

@Selim: If she believed they were bad, you mean. People don't always follow what they're taught just because it was taught to them.
Exactly. Besides, something already snapped: her connection to people. They caused her nothing but bad feelings so she decided to remove herself from them as much as possible.

And yes, I meant that.