FDA approves new "blindness curing" glasses

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

YZQ

Re: FDA approves new "blindness curing" glasses

Post by YZQ »

Carighan wrote:
YZQ wrote:If Shizune knew that there is a 1% chance that she could ever speak clearly and hear, I will bet my hat that she'll pursue it to the ends of the world and beyond.
The Shizune shown ingame would exactly not do this.
Depends on how good the device is. My reading of the situation is that Shizune could speak with coaching. She chooses not to as it comes out wrong, and if she does something, it will have to be top quality. If the device can indeed give a good quality of speech/hearing, she would want it.
"Nothing is beneath man. Everything is permitted."

"...since love and fear can hardly exist together, if we must choose between them, it is far safer to be feared than loved. However, it is important above all to avoid being hated."
metalangel

Post by metalangel »

YZQ wrote:
Carighan wrote:
YZQ wrote:If Shizune knew that there is a 1% chance that she could ever speak clearly and hear, I will bet my hat that she'll pursue it to the ends of the world and beyond.
Depends on how good the device is. My reading of the situation is that Shizune could speak with coaching. She chooses not to as it comes out wrong, and if she does something, it will have to be top quality. If the device can indeed give a good quality of speech/hearing, she would want it.
Which brings us back around to what I said: it wouldn't.
Kutagh

Post by Kutagh »

YZQ wrote:
Carighan wrote:
Just to clarify: I'm deaf, have had hearing aids since I was a couple years old, received a cochlear implant about 10 years ago. Understanding or speaking foreign languages? Just can't despite all my practice. My native tongue, Dutch, in quieter situations, I can understand and I am able to speak it quite decently. Still people do notice my voice is a bit different and the first couple times they have trouble with understanding me.

Now I am not a pessimistic but I doubt that the 1% chance does even exist. Never mind the effort, as you would need to learn to hear which consumes a lot of energy and time the first half year at least.

Besides, you seem to think that Shizune wants to hear and speak properly. You never considered the fact that she likely considers her deafness as an integral part of her personality. Removing that would mean that she has to reconsider various views, aspects of her personality, who she thinks she is...
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

To me, Shizune seems to work off the mindset that she's fine the way she is and it's other people that need to adjust to her.

Whether she's right or not is another story entirely, but the idea that she's somehow broken and can be "fixed" easily is something she'd probably take offense to.
Not Dead Yet
Kutagh

Post by Kutagh »

Oddball wrote:the idea that she's somehow broken and can be "fixed" easily is something she'd probably take offense to.
Not only her but a significant majority of the Deaf community thinks so. We're people, not robots >.>
pandaphil

Post by pandaphil »

Yeah, "Fixed" is definately a bad word. For anybody.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." ~ The Doctor.
Eraser35

Post by Eraser35 »

Shizune would probably consider getting her ears fixed, I assume anyone lacking a sense would like the opportunity to gain it
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Kutagh wrote:
Oddball wrote:the idea that she's somehow broken and can be "fixed" easily is something she'd probably take offense to.
Not only her but a significant majority of the Deaf community thinks so. We're people, not robots >.>
Shut up and get back to work. Deafbot 2.0.
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
Guest Poster

Post by Guest Poster »

The online autistic community is pretty similar. No matter how miserable their condition sometimes makes them, bring up the subject of "cures" and a flamewar is pretty much guaranteed to break out.
Shizune would probably consider getting her ears fixed, I assume anyone lacking a sense would like the opportunity to gain it
I think a lot of people in the Deaf community might actually disagree. Like Kutagh said being deaf is part of their identity. If part of that identity were to be removed, they might feel it isn't worth the gain.
Sisterhood: True Edition. Hanako epilogue I wrote. Now expanded with additional chapters.
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Guest Poster wrote:
The online autistic community is pretty similar. No matter how miserable their condition sometimes makes them, bring up the subject of "cures" and a flamewar is pretty much guaranteed to break out.
How can you cure a vaguely-defined series of disorders with no determined singular cause? Silly internet...
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
Guest Poster

Post by Guest Poster »

How can you cure a vaguely-defined series of disorders with no determined singular cause? Silly internet...
Not just the internet. There's several foundations in real life set up around funding research for that very thing. Not by autists themselves mind you, mostly by parents of severe cases.
Sisterhood: True Edition. Hanako epilogue I wrote. Now expanded with additional chapters.
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Guest Poster wrote:If part of that identity were to be removed, they might feel it isn't worth the gain.
Stealth pun. Nice. :lol:
Guest Poster

Post by Guest Poster »

And you blame ME for reading too much into stuff. :roll:
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Guest Poster wrote:And you blame ME for reading too much into stuff. :roll:
:P Shush.
YZQ

Post by YZQ »

Guest Poster wrote:
I think a lot of people in the Deaf community might actually disagree. Like Kutagh said being deaf is part of their identity. If part of that identity were to be removed, they might feel it isn't worth the gain.
A clash of ideals is what I see in Shizune's working life. She want others to fit her way, and her bosses want her to fit their way, aka the average Joe's way. Which will bend is an interesting question.
"Nothing is beneath man. Everything is permitted."

"...since love and fear can hardly exist together, if we must choose between them, it is far safer to be feared than loved. However, it is important above all to avoid being hated."