FDA approves new "blindness curing" glasses

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Oddball

Re: FDA approves new "blindness curing" glasses

Post by Oddball »

SemisoftCheese wrote:Not sure if there can really be a thread about this, but I thought people in the forum, especially fans of Lilly, would enjoy this news.

http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/ ... 339824.htm

Currently, it wouldn't work on someone like Lilly (who was genetically blind from birth), but it's definitely a step forwards. Hopefully, in the next couple years this project will develop even further.

In the words of Mutou: "Science."
No no no. You're supposed to blind someone with science. They got it all backwards.

Thomas Dolby would be ashamed.
Not Dead Yet
Dr. Casey

Post by Dr. Casey »

metalangel wrote:
SemisoftCheese wrote:Not sure if there can really be a thread about this, but I thought people in the forum, especially fans of Lilly, would enjoy this news.

http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/ ... 339824.htm

Currently, it wouldn't work on someone like Lilly (who was genetically blind from birth), but it's definitely a step forwards. Hopefully, in the next couple years this project will develop even further.

In the words of Mutou: "Science."
Those glasses don't 'cure' blindness any more than cochlear implants 'cure' deafness.
well, thread titles can only be so long, 'blindness curing' is more succinct

and on that note, deafness is expected to be fully curable by 2022, so good news for Shizune
metalangel

Post by metalangel »

Dr. Casey wrote: well, thread titles can only be so long, 'blindness curing' is more succinct

and on that note, deafness is expected to be fully curable by 2022, so good news for Shizune
Though we don't know the reason or timeline behind her deafness, she is very likely past the stage of being able to learn to interpret speech, making a 'cure' largely pointless.
Umber

Post by Umber »

metalangel wrote:
Dr. Casey wrote: well, thread titles can only be so long, 'blindness curing' is more succinct

Though we don't know the reason or timeline behind her deafness, she is very likely past the stage of being able to learn to interpret speech, making a 'cure' largely pointless.
Hopefully she was, would've/should've saved Misha a lot of work during her arc.

I don't think there'll ever be a cure for Kenji, though.
-An occasional art thread.
pig dissections and cadaver examinations.
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

YZQ wrote:But one thing's for sure: If Lily ever got to see again, Hanako can receive surgery to repair the scars on her face.
She could already do that...
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
YZQ

Post by YZQ »

Xanatos wrote:
YZQ wrote:But one thing's for sure: If Lily ever got to see again, Hanako can receive surgery to repair the scars on her face.
Aye. Speculation as to why she hasn't done it yet is the lack of funds.
metalangel wrote:

If Shizune knew that there is a 1% chance that she could ever speak clearly and hear, I will bet my hat that she'll pursue it to the ends of the world and beyond.
"Nothing is beneath man. Everything is permitted."

"...since love and fear can hardly exist together, if we must choose between them, it is far safer to be feared than loved. However, it is important above all to avoid being hated."
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

YZQ wrote:
Xanatos wrote:
Aye. Speculation as to why she hasn't done it yet is the lack of funds.
Okay...What does Lilly getting to see again have to do with Hanako getting surgery?
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
YZQ

Post by YZQ »

The earlier discussion that Lily will be horrified by Hanako's scars should she be able to see.
KeiichiO wrote:
Eraser35 wrote:imagine how she would react to Hanako
"Hanako, is that yo-... HOLY SHIT, WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOUR FACE? GOD DAMN YOU MESSED UP!"

"...since love and fear can hardly exist together, if we must choose between them, it is far safer to be feared than loved. However, it is important above all to avoid being hated."
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

YZQ wrote:The earlier discussion that Lily will be horrified by Hanako's scars should she be able to see.
KeiichiO wrote:
"Hanako, is that yo-... HOLY SHIT, WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOUR FACE? GOD DAMN YOU MESSED UP!"
That's stupid. Funny, but as a serious consideration, that's stupid. :lol:
YZQ

Post by YZQ »

Xanatos wrote: That's stupid. Funny, but as a serious consideration, that's stupid. :lol:
Agreed. Lily has her ways.

Kutagh

Post by Kutagh »

YZQ wrote:
metalangel wrote:

If Shizune knew that there is a 1% chance that she could ever speak clearly and hear, I will bet my hat that she'll pursue it to the ends of the world and beyond.
Most Deafies probably wouldn't. In fact, there is a significant number of Deafies that have received a Cochlear Implant but at some point during the 'learning to hear' stage quited learning and stopped wearing it. Besides, I enjoy being able to sleep easily at night, not waking up from noisy cars or whatever driving past :P
YZQ

Post by YZQ »

Kutagh wrote:Most Deafies probably wouldn't. In fact, there is a significant number of Deafies that have received a Cochlear Implant but at some point during the 'learning to hear' stage quited learning and stopped wearing it. Besides, I enjoy being able to sleep easily at night, not waking up from noisy cars or whatever driving past :P
Defying expectations is pretty much Shizune's defining trait, for things both good and bad. So, I reckon she will plow through with it, come hell or high water.

Kyllmann

Post by Kyllmann »

As this treatment involves an implant, this is the first thing that came to my mind:
I seem to have been trapped in a rift in the space-time continuum for the last few years. I'm seldom on time and I often get lost...
Guest Poster

Post by Guest Poster »

Probably not as shocked as you'd think. Expectations make a large difference. When Hisao gets to see Hanako naked, he mentions to himself the sight isn't nearly as shocking as it could have been, since he's already seen the scars on her face and hand and that mental preparation took the surprise out of it. Lilly may not have seen Hanako's facial scarring, but she knows it's there and that it's severe enough to cause Hanako to avoid people's gazes.
I'm sure it'd be fine. Though it does beg the question, has Hanako ever let Lilly touch her face?
My personal interpretation, which came back in Sisterhood, was that she didn't. Hanako's route suggests Hanako is genuinely puzzled why Hisao is so interested in her despite being able to see her. If Lilly had known what Hanako looked like and still remained her friend, Hanako'd have less reason to feel that way when Hisao pays attention to her.
Last edited by Guest Poster on Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sisterhood: True Edition. Hanako epilogue I wrote. Now expanded with additional chapters.
Carighan

Post by Carighan »

YZQ wrote:If Shizune knew that there is a 1% chance that she could ever speak clearly and hear, I will bet my hat that she'll pursue it to the ends of the world and beyond.
The Shizune shown ingame would exactly not do this.
The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.