Immersion

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

lukesrp

Re: Immersion

Post by lukesrp »

I think I usually started an arc around noon, then I would do absolutely nothing else for the rest of the day accept read the arc. I tried not to read it late at night because I'd find that I'd just end up skim reading and forgetting what I had been reading for the last 5 or so minutes. I'd have it windowed really to avoid any awkward conversations with my Parents or Brothers when they came in.

Nothing more awkward then having to explain to your Parents that the game your playing for hours on end is about developing intimate relationships with disabled girls.

On the music front, I have the Katawa Shoujo soundtrack on my ipod, every time "Innocence" "Breathlessly" and "Wiosna" play I just feel, I feel like shit really. Like when I first played the game.

Same with "Jitter" and "Painful History" - I am starting so sense a theme here that most of the tracks that are giving me these feelings are one's with a slow piano, making me reflect on how I felt when I first played this game.

I guess I was never really fully "Immersed" in Katawa Shoujo as my Parents and Brothers would pop in and talk to me, but that didn't stop the effect it had on me whatsoever.
Hanako>>>Lilly>>>Emi>>>Shizune>>>Rin

Did someone say Chrono Trigger?

"The Characters resonate with you because you recognize your flaws and desires and triumphs and victories, and those of the loved ones you know and care about. You want to make them happy, because you want them to be happy, because you know and are them, and In some way you believe everyone you love deserves to be happy"
ShadeHaven

Post by ShadeHaven »

I remember starting around 12:00 AM every night, when it's the most peaceful in my house. I'd really get into it, especially due to the music.
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

I live alone, so I don't have to worry about that whole "parents" thing.
Not Dead Yet
pandaphil

Post by pandaphil »

You can always put this on after the H-scenes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQlIhraqL7o
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." ~ The Doctor.
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

pandaphil wrote:You can always put this on after the H-scenes.

I'm gonna put that on if I ever get laid. :lol:
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
Umber

Post by Umber »

pandaphil wrote:You can always put this on after the H-scenes.

Rtilrtil needs to reanimate this with multiple Hisaos and a lot of frowning Kenjis, someone needs to recreate with new lyrics. I volunteer to sing and play an instrument.
-An occasional art thread.
pig dissections and cadaver examinations.
pandaphil

Post by pandaphil »

"So this one's dedicated to them girls who let us flop around on top of them."

:D
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." ~ The Doctor.
Dream

Post by Dream »

I don't play KS if there's anyone around the house that might walk in or bother me. Since the computer i play it on is in our hall, i mostly play KS around and after midnight. Have to say that it gives it quite a unique and strong charm/feel to it, playing it during a time where you feel you're on your own separate world.

Feeling of immersion, i don't know. I've kinda felt myself inside the story, but not in the place of Hisao and mostly as an spectator.

@pandaphil: That's awesome/hilarious :lol:
"It is not reason, more or less furnished, but will that makes the world march"

"Unfortunately, if you can think of something really stupid, someone out there probably believes it." -Xanatos
Pyramid Head

Post by Pyramid Head »

The story was very absorbing but immersion would imply i projected myself onto Hisao, and i couldn't do that. While i can sort of understand that he'd be in a daze after his life was fucked over and he realized he's essentially a walking corpse anyway because sneezing too hard could finish him off, i'm actually very well versed in how to deal with people like Hanako and RIn and wouldn't make some of the mistakes Hisao would make. The Rin arc especially pissed me off, i mean i understood Rin fairly well but i wanted to punch Hisao's heart out after i couldn't get him to discourage Rin from attempting to enter the professional circuit.

Still, most other aspects were very well handled and damn impressive considering the budget of fuck all. Yeah there were small continuity flubs in the art and some CG and sprite artists had a habit of changing the bust size of the girls but the art looked good and most of the soundtrack was pretty good too. It wasn't perfect but fuck perfect, it had Hanako and RIn and that's what matters.
The fear of blood tends to create fear for the flesh.
KeiichiO

Post by KeiichiO »

Umbra wrote:I personally prefer to do important things in isolation, so I'd run through the less significant parts of the routes whenever possible. But once I've felt something big was coming up (should we get more comfortable?), I'd close the game and cliffhang myself 'til I was alone in my room (usually until midnight or so.) I'd then visit the cornerstore to pick up some munchies, make some tea, get myself comfortable and proceed with the story. I have a really vivid imagination, so I get immersed easily in whatever I'm doing.

I like cosy things :3
I feel the same. I like to be alone, or mostly alone when reading KS, or anything really. It's a lot better this way. But I also feel the same way and, "cliffhang myself" at certain times. The most notable time I did this is when Hisao walked in a Rin... and her act... I felt flustered and sort of embarrassed at nothing. I had to wait 'til my little brother left the room to continue. Even then, I felt uncomfortable :P
Umbra
Location: i have tasted the maggots of the mind of the universe

Post by Umbra »

Oh, and about the parents thing.

I remember when I was first going through Hanako's path. Around the time of the sex scene, specifically, when Hisao is embracing her from the behind, my mother, who was using the PC next to me, surprised me by visibly glancing at what I was doing. I looked at her with a solid poker face. She gave me a 'not bad' expression. We never talked about it.

...my parents are pretty cool about whatever I do on my 'puter. And whatever I do in general.
(not me, but this is sweet)

I like music. If you like music too, and have similar tastes, you might want to add me on last.fm.
pandaphil

Post by pandaphil »

@Umbra: Its always cool to have parents that trust you.

Hell if I had kids I'd much prefer to see them playing KS than say, CoD.
Last edited by pandaphil on Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sgt Spice

Post by Sgt Spice »

I always play at around midnight, and I don't play too much. Usually around an hour or so. I get really immersed into the story, as if I was actually there. The music also helps in that aspect. The rest of the family is asleep so it's just me, like personal time.
Pyramid Head wrote: i mean i understood Rin fairly well but i wanted to punch Hisao's heart out after i couldn't get him to discourage Rin from attempting to enter the professional circuit.
^This. I got really angry at Hisao multiple times during Rin's route. It was obvious to me that she didn't want to do the exhibition, and I didn't want to pressure into doing it.
Rin Kin
I have a very strong Rin-bias
"Just be"
Umber

Post by Umber »

pandaphil wrote:Hell if I had kids I'd much prefer to see them playing KS than say, CoD.
You are officially one of the best parents that hasn't had a child yet.

@Umbra My mother would have taken away my laptop and forced me to kneel on salt.
I think your parents are cool, tell them I said hi. And that I'm up for adoption.
-An occasional art thread.
pig dissections and cadaver examinations.
Umbra
Location: i have tasted the maggots of the mind of the universe

Post by Umbra »

Umber wrote:
pandaphil wrote:Hell if I had kids I'd much prefer to see them playing KS than say, CoD.
You are officially one of the best parents that hasn't had a child yet.

@Umbra My mother would have taken away my laptop and forced me to kneel on salt.
I think your parents are cool, tell them I said hi. And that I'm up for adoption.
i'd love to have a brother sister? sadly, I live in Eastern Europe, so that's not likely to happen, bro :/

don't know about you, but I'm 19, so even if they did want to impose some sanctions on me, i'd politely tell them to fuck off :P

another story: some time ago, my father flat out if I was still a virgin. after I gave him a positive response, he basically said "you need to get that v card punched ASAP, yo" and offered help if I needed any (???)
(not me, but this is sweet)

I like music. If you like music too, and have similar tastes, you might want to add me on last.fm.