What arc should i try next?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

ShinigamiKenji

Re: How do you get the most out of this masterpiece?

Post by ShinigamiKenji »

I'm wondering if the first girl is always the favorite one, since it happened to me and, from what I've seen, many other people. Perhaps it's because she introduces you to this fantastic world. Emi was a good choice, BTW. I began with Hanako and I felt it was the most emotional one.

The best order, I think, would be to play the girl you liked the most to the girl you liked the least (of course, leaving Kenji ending aside). I did it and while I had all the feels, I wasn't feeling so empty in the end (but empty enough for me to dwell into the Fanfictions section, which I must add is quite a good read after you finish the game).

And do not rush the arcs, read the story and the descriptions, some subtle details are in the text. Leaving some time to make the feels subside is good, too. I spent almost one and a half months to finish it. (and going through exams with all the feels... )
Xanatos wrote:Shinigami...Kenji. Oh, you poor guy. You have my sympathies. :lol: But at least with you around, our supple Japanese women won't be raped by lesbians. :mrgreen: ...Actually, that'd be pretty hot

:lol:
Avatar made by OtakuNinja. Yeah, it would be pretty badass if it happened, don't you think?
RecoiL

Post by RecoiL »

Pyramid Head wrote:By smoking orange crush.

Okay, i'm lying. Opium scented incense (yes such a thing exists) goes really well with the Hanako arc, salt and vinegar potato chips go well with the Rin arc, and good beer goes with anything. Though if i am actually looking to get the high referred to as feels, i actually start by watching Pulp Fiction or Falling Down so that my adult mind is lost to pitch black humor and i'm more likely to get the high.
I think I like you more and more with every post of yours I stumble upon.
ShinigamiKenji wrote:I'm wondering if the first girl is always the favorite one, since it happened to me and, from what I've seen, many other people. Perhaps it's because she introduces you to this fantastic world. Emi was a good choice, BTW. I began with Hanako and I felt it was the most emotional one.

The best order, I think, would be to play the girl you liked the most to the girl you liked the least (of course, leaving Kenji ending aside). I did it and while I had all the feels, I wasn't feeling so empty in the end (but empty enough for me to dwell into the Fanfictions section, which I must add is quite a good read after you finish the game).

And do not rush the arcs, read the story and the descriptions, some subtle details are in the text. Leaving some time to make the feels subside is good, too. I spent almost one and a half months to finish it. (and going through exams with all the feels... )
Well, you're a bit late. I finished the game at 100% a few weeks back. Now I'm checking out some fanfics.

As for the first girl always being the favorite one, no. But she does have a special place in everybody's heart. As everybody who has studied a bit of psychology would know /as well as anybody who's had two or more relationships/, it's usually the same with love outside of the screen.
Basicly, after some experiance you judge past relationships with a clear mind and a base of comparison, therefore you can have a clear /or not so much/ favorite. On the other hand, the first experiance always brings more data to your mind, and your mind holds on to it tighter. It leaves a bigger impression and lasts longer in your memory. For example, Emi was my first arc, and I absolutely loved it, both the girl and her story. Hell, it inspired me to pick up running and I've been doing it for a month now. And after reading the rest and thinking back to all of them, I like Lilly best, yet Emi feels sort of special.

In other words, the first one feels better, but you can also usually make a clear comparison. Am I making sense?
Helbereth wrote:Revisiting it months or years down the line -after you've forgotten most of it- to recapture the magic, one might say. I've found a lot of media is actually better on the second look -- especially if there's a long time between viewings.

Pick up a book you read ten years ago, or watch a movie from the same time frame, and you'll see what I mean (some of you may not really have that as a viable option, I realize... younguns). There are some people who read certain books every year; Christopher Lee (played Saruman) read the entire Lord of the Rings series every year since his youth -- long before he was cast in the role.

That's my advice on 'getting the most out of this' and I think it can be applied to most anything else.
To be honest, after I finished KS and wandering "what now?" for a couple of days, this is the conclusion I came to. After all, although I am just 18, I am a rather avid reader and I do like to reread books and rewatch movies from time to time.
After I finished the game, I read a couple of fanfics, spent some time checking out fanart and drawing a little of it myself. Then I decided all that's left for me is to drop it for now. Not erase it, just remove the icon from my desktop, and come back to it some months later.

And here's the thing, I'm not sure if this will work like most books I reread. Because usually on the second run I more or less just skim through and pay more attention to details, to the writer's style and to other things not storyline-related. And though I still get a large amount of satisfaction, usually most of the feelings and suspense aren't there.
But I can't be sure, because this is actually the first romantic novel, or novel with deeper romantic subplot that I have read and truly felt. So I'm wondering, will the feels still be there when I come back?
Image Gluehuffers, all of you.
Axelownz

Post by Axelownz »

I went Emi - Rin - Shizune - Hanako - Lilly

I think that was a great way to do it. Emi i got on her path playing blind not shooting for anything, got feels with it being my first, and got really attached to Emi. Then my next one i shot for Rin since she intrigued me a bit on Emi's playthrough, got some crazy feels from that one. Shizune's was a nice break i think, since it was not a much of an emotional arc for me, but it was a fun arc. Hanako's got me back with some feels, and i concluded with Lilly and got OH GAWD! Feels.
Pseudogenesis

Post by Pseudogenesis »

Kenji is best girl.
The biggest dilemma in Katawa Shoujo:
'Should I recommend this to my friends or do I want them to continue to see me as mentally healthy?'

Mashup of the month: "Damn It Feels Good To Be a Cripple"
dwarduk

Post by dwarduk »

ShinigamiKenji wrote:I'm wondering if the first girl is always the favorite one, since it happened to me and, from what I've seen, many other people. Perhaps it's because she introduces you to this fantastic world. Emi was a good choice, BTW. I began with Hanako and I felt it was the most emotional one.
Real life? First girl will always have a special place in my heart. In the game? First girl was Emi, my least favourite of the main cast. Not that I don't like her, just she's more annoying than any of the others :lol:
Meiko will be my waifu. I swear it on my honour. </Zuko>
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

My first was (unintentionally: I wanted Hanako) Emi but my favorite thus far has been Lilly...Shizune may be vying for that spot though.
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
ShinigamiKenji

Post by ShinigamiKenji »

Well, I only once had a (kind of) relationship, but in the end we agreed that it was better when we were friends (and I still believe in this). Apart from her, I didn't have such love interest in other girls. Of course, hot girls will always be hot, no matter what, but I haven't been feeling that need to deepen relationships. So I can't relate that much...
Xanatos wrote:Shinigami...Kenji. Oh, you poor guy. You have my sympathies. :lol: But at least with you around, our supple Japanese women won't be raped by lesbians. :mrgreen: ...Actually, that'd be pretty hot

Avatar made by OtakuNinja. Yeah, it would be pretty badass if it happened, don't you think?
RecoiL

Post by RecoiL »

ShinigamiKenji wrote:Well, I only once had a (kind of) relationship, but in the end we agreed that it was better when we were friends (and I still believe in this). Apart from her, I didn't have such love interest in other girls. Of course, hot girls will always be hot, no matter what, but I haven't been feeling that need to deepen relationships. So I can't relate that much...
Well you played all story arcs, right? Should be more or less the same kind of situation.
newnar

Post by newnar »

Spam arc after arc after arc fast for maximum feel effect, then slowly review at your own pace to relive the pains.
Enemy |

Post by Enemy | »

Going arc after arc only made me not care as much about two of the arcs.
Pseudogenesis

Post by Pseudogenesis »

newnar wrote:Spam arc after arc after arc fast for maximum feel effect, then slowly review at your own pace to relive the pains.

Oh no, bad idea. Wait at least a week between each. I've only got one arc left, and I intend to cherish it. Prolong the feels, bro.
The biggest dilemma in Katawa Shoujo:
'Should I recommend this to my friends or do I want them to continue to see me as mentally healthy?'

Mashup of the month: "Damn It Feels Good To Be a Cripple"
ShinigamiKenji

Post by ShinigamiKenji »

RecoiL wrote:
ShinigamiKenji wrote:Well, I only once had a (kind of) relationship, but in the end we agreed that it was better when we were friends (and I still believe in this). Apart from her, I didn't have such love interest in other girls. Of course, hot girls will always be hot, no matter what, but I haven't been feeling that need to deepen relationships. So I can't relate that much...
Well you played all story arcs, right? Should be more or less the same kind of situation.
Am I going to be mind-f***ed then? That's what happened with my second arc with Rin... :lol: Seriously, too many choices for me.

Loonie

Post by Loonie »

Honestly...it depends from person to person. Some people like to just go towards the girl that interests them the most on the first run, others like myself prefer to keep the best for last. I already had a feeling, from my brief interactions with Rin in Act 1, that I was the most interested in her, but despite being on her path on my first playthrough I still consciously picked a choice that I knew would wind up with me getting Emi first.

So for me it was Emi -> Shizune -> Hanako -> Lilly -> Rin. But seriously...do what you like. The only thing I can assure you of is that the last 3 paths I listed here are considered by most to be the moreso intense emotional rollercoasters (I'd say Emi's route was such for me too but...depends on what path you take with her I guess) and Rin's path is possibly the longest and most confusing of them all...so I'm kinda glad I wound up with her last, because afterwards I really was drained and sleep-deprived to the point that I needed a loooooong brake from KS to collect my thoughts.

So do what you like...but be warned. Those last 3 are considered as moreso intense (at least by most) and Rin's path is also extra long, just to make it even more exhausting.
Loonie

Post by Loonie »

Bah...in retrospect the OP probably already finished it all by now. It's been 2 months. :P Was gonna also post one thing also - doing Lilly's arc first would've probably spoilered it a bit too much as to how to play out Hanako's arc, because during Lilly's arc you get to see as a byproduct of what the solution with her is moreso.

But anywho...might as well put it out there.
RecoiL

Post by RecoiL »

Yeah. I finished it a long time ago. Still reading the replies out of curiosity though.