What arc should i try next?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

ravenlord

Re: Looking for advice on what to do next, both IRL and in g

Post by ravenlord »

Proceed, but only when you are ready. There is no rush to finish it. KS is like sipping a fine wine. Make it last as long as you can and savor every moment

Take the feels and embrace them, and channel them into something constructive and positive.

Many people have taken up running, reading, new classes, music, etc. Basically think about something that you've wanted to do before but never had the courage or motivation to follow through on. Use the feels to grab your project by the horns and make it your own. Make your girl proud as you move forward and improve yourself. Success breeds success, and pretty soon you will find the now inner you ding things that you never dared to dream about. That's the real power of KS
Hanako>Shizune>Lilly>Emi>Rin {100% complete}
"痘痕も靨" (If there is love, then smallpox scars are as pretty as dimples) ~ Japanese proverb
Xden

Post by Xden »

ravenlord wrote:Proceed, but only when you are ready. There is no rush to finish it. KS is like sipping a fine wine. Make it last as long as you can and savor every moment

Take the feels and embrace them, and channel them into something constructive and positive.

Many people have taken up running, reading, new classes, music, etc. Basically think about something that you've wanted to do before but never had the courage or motivation to follow through on. Use the feels to grab your project by the horns and make it your own. Make your girl proud as you move forward and improve yourself. Success breeds success, and pretty soon you will find the now inner you ding things that you never dared to dream about. That's the real power of KS
That's beautiful. I'll take it to heart. Thinking about picking up running, meditation, reading more from books, instead of online articles. It's amazing how just one play through has relieved such a curtain from me and allowed me to see things so much more peacefully and with a more open mind. Thanks for the advice.
"Everyone sees what you appear to be. Few really know what you are." -Machiavelli
dwarduk

Post by dwarduk »

Hey, Xden.

http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=6725
http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=6621

Those links there are two similar threads you might be able to form some opinions on.

I'd say proceed if you want, but it depends on what you get out of (and somewhat what you want to get out of) the game . If it's that you want to play through dating this amazing girl, then you might not want or need to see the other ending (only two characters have three endings; the other three have two) at all. Maybe you'd like to try seeing her from Rin's perspective instead, for example?

Having said that, I seem to remember some extra character development in Emi's worse times (though I'm not sure whether it's on the good path or the bad, or both), so it's possible. If you want that, just go for it when you're ready.

As for going for the other girls, if you're good at partitioning experiences you could probably manage just fine right away and still really enjoy it, but you'll get less enjoyment out of the lingering mental effects of Emi's route. Those 'feels' are pretty amazing; I don't know if it's because it was my first route, but I found it absolutely inspiring. I'm sure you noticed the [url=http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=5176]Emi-inspired Workout Thread]; loads of people have decided to improve their fitness and health over there, mostly through running. But really, I'd just say that if there is some part of your life or lifestyle you're unhappy with, have been meaning to change, and have been putting it off forever, that'd be a great thing to channel the 'feels'.

And yes, I reacted similarly to you for a bit, but got over it (transferring it to Lilly in the process xD). I'd say it's a pretty typical reaction from someone who's considering that there are aspects of their life they'd like to fill.
Meiko will be my waifu. I swear it on my honour. </Zuko>
Xden

Post by Xden »

dwarduk wrote: As for going for the other girls, if you're good at partitioning experiences you could probably manage just fine right away and still really enjoy it, but you'll get less enjoyment out of the lingering mental effects of Emi's route. Those 'feels' are pretty amazing; I don't know if it's because it was my first route, but I found it absolutely inspiring. I'm sure you noticed the [url=http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=5176]Emi-inspired Workout Thread]; loads of people have decided to improve their fitness and health over there, mostly through running. But really, I'd just say that if there is some part of your life or lifestyle you're unhappy with, have been meaning to change, and have been putting it off forever, that'd be a great thing to channel the 'feels'.

And yes, I reacted similarly to you for a bit, but got over it (transferring it to Lilly in the process xD). I'd say it's a pretty typical reaction from someone who's considering that there are aspects of their life they'd like to fill.
I really have noticed the amazing inspiration I've gotten from Emi. I've decided to pick up new habits like meditation, running, and probably reading from books rather than online. It's a brilliantly beautiful story. I plan to eke the inspiration and perspective I've gained from it for all that it's worth. Emi's willpower is just incredible. A great example to follow, I think.
Thanks a bunch for the input. You've helped me to kind of focus my thoughts on the subject. I hope I can make great use of these thoughts in the future.
"Everyone sees what you appear to be. Few really know what you are." -Machiavelli
Total Destruction

Post by Total Destruction »

ravenlord wrote:Proceed, but only when you are ready. There is no rush to finish it. KS is like sipping a fine wine. Make it last as long as you can and savor every moment.
You and I have vastly different approaches to enjoying fine wine.

:lol:

But yeah, OP. What s/he said.
... Danger.
Nekken

Post by Nekken »

Xden wrote:I guess there's good, bad, and neutral for each girl?
Actually, no. Emi technically only has two endings (one good and one bad), but late in the game there are actually two paths you can take to the good ending, and they're different enough (and awesome enough) to both be worth watching. As for the others:
  • Hanako has three endings, split more or less along the lines you describe.
  • Lilly has three endings, but they're structured in a strange way. Even behind spoiler tags, wild horses could not drag this one out of me.
  • Rin has three endings, but two of them are would generally be considered bad endings (the other one, of course, is good)
  • Shizune has two endings (good and bad), but there's only one path to each.
Anyway, I feel like I know this girl now, and I got what I presume was the good ending. It made me happy. That's why I'm afraid of going down her other routes. I know I should, as maybe they will alleviate, or dampen, this strong desire to have someone real who could make me happy like Emi made Hisao happy.
You should definitely play the other routes. They will help re-establish emotional distance, and keep you from sinking into the feels. The good news is that no route ever hits as hard as the first one you play, even if one of those later routes becomes your favorite.
How have other people reacted to Emi's good route? Am I having a normal reaction?(A state of longing for similar emotional connection with a real person.)
You're not alone: reactions like this are extremely common. A lot of players wind up channeling that to make a change in their lives.
Falling in love is a volcano. Being in love is a kotatsu.
Xden

Post by Xden »

Nekken wrote: You should definitely play the other routes. They will help re-establish emotional distance, and keep you from sinking into the feels. The good news is that no route ever hits as hard as the first one you play, even if one of those later routes becomes your favorite.
That's good to hear. I have been debating with myself whether or not I want to start playing through them. I'm conflicted between wanting to keep playing as much as i can and wanting to try and get the most out of the game.
dwarduk

Post by dwarduk »

Lilly has three endings? Oh my, I only found two :lol:. Would you mind pm-ing me about it?

As for Shizune, I don't think the "good" and "bad" identifiers really work, but I'm saying no more in this thread.

Never mind, though. It's all in the eye of the reader.

As for sinking into the feels? It's not as bad as they say, though you'll almost certainly have a degree of ennui for around a week and a half...
Pseudogenesis

Re: Questions about the game.

Post by Pseudogenesis »

Just one last quick tip: You don't have to reply to each individual post like that. As far as I know, "No 'double-posting'" tends to be an unwritten rule on forums, although I doubt anyone will chastise you for it. If you want to respond to multiple people within the same post, then you can scroll down from the reply page and click the little "Quote" icon on each individual post to add it to your reply. There's also the "Quote" BBCode button just above the space where you write, in case you wanted to do it manually, or you've got the text you're replying to copied. It's all part of being new to forums, you'll get used to it.
The biggest dilemma in Katawa Shoujo:
'Should I recommend this to my friends or do I want them to continue to see me as mentally healthy?'

Mashup of the month: "Damn It Feels Good To Be a Cripple"
mysterycycle

Post by mysterycycle »

My first VN was Analog: A Hate Story, which is another Christine Love game, and being moved by that, I sought out other VNs. Katawa Shoujo was my second. I tried Don't Take It Personally... after playing KS.

My opinion is that KS will not disappoint you. It took me by surprise, but also spoiled me for other VNs.

Having said that, after going on about it for a week or two I finally convinced my best friend to try it. While he thought it was good, it didn't have nearly the same emotional impact on him that it did on me. So I don't want to build it up too much in your mind.

All I can say is "It's free; give it a try." I definitely think that, based on what you've said so far, playing KS is something you must do.
You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be the better person.
ImageImage
Couch to 5k with Emi: WD123 W2D123 W3D123 W4D123 W5D123 W6D123 W7D123 W8D123 W9D123
I'm making a Katawa Shoujo doujinshi!
My deviantArt
Kaduro

Post by Kaduro »

Pseudogenesis wrote:Just one last quick tip: You don't have to reply to each individual post like that. As far as I know, "No 'double-posting'" tends to be an unwritten rule on forums, although I doubt anyone will chastise you for it. If you want to respond to multiple people within the same post, then you can scroll down from the reply page and click the little "Quote" icon on each individual post to add it to your reply. There's also the "Quote" BBCode button just above the space where you write, in case you wanted to do it manually, or you've got the text you're replying to copied. It's all part of being new to forums, you'll get used to it.
mysterycycle wrote:My first VN was Analog: A Hate Story, which is another Christine Love game, and being moved by that, I sought out other VNs. Katawa Shoujo was my second. I tried Don't Take It Personally... after playing KS.

My opinion is that KS will not disappoint you. It took me by surprise, but also spoiled me for other VNs.

Having said that, after going on about it for a week or two I finally convinced my best friend to try it. While he thought it was good, it didn't have nearly the same emotional impact on him that it did on me. So I don't want to build it up too much in your mind.

All I can say is "It's free; give it a try." I definitely think that, based on what you've said so far, playing KS is something you must do.
I understand.

I apologize for that and I´ll keep that in mind from now on.

Again, I apologize but thank you for sharing your thoughts or opinion though :).

Thank you :)
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

It really depends on what you're after in a game. Nobody in my family would ever get into visual novels but I enjoy them very much. Katawa Shoujo is a very good one, even if it doesn't pack the life-altering effect for you that it does for some other players like myself.

The devs try to play it down as not being an exceedingly impressive and quality work but they're probably just feminists. My advance to you would be...

Now BRB while I laugh uncontrollably at all the awesome Kenji pics I just found.
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
dwarduk

Post by dwarduk »

Pseudogenesis wrote:Just one last quick tip: You don't have to reply to each individual post like that. As far as I know, "No 'double-posting'" tends to be an unwritten rule on forums, although I doubt anyone will chastise you for it. If you want to respond to multiple people within the same post, then you can scroll down from the reply page and click the little "Quote" icon on each individual post to add it to your reply. There's also the "Quote" BBCode button just above the space where you write, in case you wanted to do it manually, or you've got the text you're replying to copied. It's all part of being new to forums, you'll get used to it.
Just to add to this, you can add a quote to a reply you've already started writing by clicking the Quote button on the relevant post in the Topic Review panel below the reply box :)
acewing905

Post by acewing905 »

ravenlord wrote:
As far as KS, it ranks very highly there: http://vndb.org/v945

Out of over 10,000 games, it is ranked #17 -- not too shabby!
You're thinking popularity. KS is ranked #51 by ratings. (7.97/10) However, that's still great, as, like you mentioned, VNDB has 10000+ VNs listed.
Pyramid Head

Post by Pyramid Head »

acewing905 wrote:
ravenlord wrote:
As far as KS, it ranks very highly there: http://vndb.org/v945

Out of over 10,000 games, it is ranked #17 -- not too shabby!
You're thinking popularity. KS is ranked #51 by ratings. (7.97/10) However, that's still great, as, like you mentioned, VNDB has 10000+ VNs listed.

Not to rain on your parade but with how high the website ranked Clannad which is very poorly written as far as the actual drama is concerned, the praise is hollow. It's like bringing up how highly Half-Life 2 was praised by a website that called Modern Warfare 3 very good. Of course i'm a video game expert, and visual novels very rarely count as video games, so maybe i just haven't had enough exposure to realize Clannad is sitting on a garbage throne because good items in that particular medium are scarce. After all, outside of this one, Clannad, and Analogue: A Hate Story, i've had very little exposure to visual novels so maybe i just haven't been traumatized enough to crawl to Clannad like an abused child to a priest.
Or an abused child to a different priest depending on your starting religion.
The fear of blood tends to create fear for the flesh.