What arc should i try next?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Beanwell

Re: Getting the feels, should I play the other story paths?

Post by Beanwell »

Current projects:

* KS Fanfiction.
* Hideaki spinoff VN.
WHAT
WHY
OtakuNinja

Post by OtakuNinja »

A Hideaki spinoff sounds awesome. Here's a recently finished Hideaki fanfic. It's really good.
Emibro, Hanabro, [Lilly Lover], Rin Kin, Feminist, Two-timer
(Passively working on my KS YouTube series. Someday...)
Mint

Post by Mint »

You've already dove into it. Which was the obvious course of action, because no one plays one route in Katawa Shoujo and then neglects the others.

But my little tip is to take a slight break between routes. Just so the events of the route you just completed sink in. The human mind is an analytic one and even if you don't consciously do it, your mind will start analyzing what you've just seen and read. The deeper you dig, the more you'll find out about just how emotionally impacting the route you just finished is. If you play all routes in rapid succession, the events of the previous route will just blend in with the events of the one you're playing currently and you end up missing the entire crux of it. Just take it slow. The best of wines are drank slowly, no matter how bitter.

Have fun playing through, dude! And don't forget to share your impressions.
I speak for myself, but I think a lot of us are on this forum mainly to read about the unique footprints KS leaves in the hearts of people.
Kadadj

Post by Kadadj »

Mint wrote:You've already dove into it. Which was the obvious course of action, because no one plays one route in Katawa Shoujo and then neglects the others.

But my little tip is to take a slight break between routes. Just so the events of the route you just completed sink in. The human mind is an analytic one and even if you don't consciously do it, your mind will start analyzing what you've just seen and read. The deeper you dig, the more you'll find out about just how emotionally impacting the route you just finished is. If you play all routes in rapid succession, the events of the previous route will just blend in with the events of the one you're playing currently and you end up missing the entire crux of it. Just take it slow. The best of wines are drank slowly, no matter how bitter.

Have fun playing through, dude! And don't forget to share your impressions.
I speak for myself, but I think a lot of us are on this forum mainly to read about the unique footprints KS leaves in the hearts of people.
I agree, I've taken at least a day's break trough the routes, and I'm now doing Rins. I have a feeling this will be the route with the most emotional impact. This slightly stoic version of Hisao, reminds me the most of myself, and I love the way you can just be with Rin in silence, and be content with that. I will fill in more details as I finish the route.
As for the lasting effects KS has had on me so far: For one, I've started to jog, which actually feels great, and the fact that I managed to start is now enough motivation to keep me going (started yesterday).
As for the more emotional side of things: I've gone from just wanting sex, to wanting a deeper emotional bond with someone. I've moved a lot in my life, and I can't say that I've ever had a "deep" relationship, not even with my twin brother. But I do long for it.
Mint

Post by Mint »

That's one of the many beautiful sides of KS.

It makes you see your flaws, but doesn't change you. It makes you want to change yourself.
Kadadj

Post by Kadadj »

I was playing the Rin route now, and she hugged me! I have no idea why, but I feel like that's one of the most awesome things in history. Especially since she has no arms :lol:
That really took me by surprise.
Edit: I got the bad ending, saved before the choice, and decided just to try it. It didn't make me sad, really. Walking in on Rin in the state she was though, definitively affected me. Going for neutral or the happy ending now.
Kadadj

Post by Kadadj »

Ok, I just finished playing Rin's story. I think she's the most interesting character in KS, but I didn't like Hisao in it, not his dialogue, nor his inner monologue. I feel like I had the answers to help Rin, like I knew what to say to make her feel better.
I liked it overall though, but I'm left her sitting with a sort of melancholic apathy, I'm not sure what to think.
I didn't affect nearly to the point of Emi's path, or even Lillie's. But I think that that scene in the workplace, with Hisao walking in on Rin was one of the more powerful in the novel. I sort of wish that I could get a chance at interacting with Rin. I'm interested in psychology, and I have won over both depression and anxiety (for now), so in a way, I feel that I have a lot of knowledge to help people see their problems in another way, a way where it's fixable, where it's easier dealt with. And I guess, in a way, that this is what KS does to a lot of people. It challenges us, makes us evaluate our lives, but in a way that is doable. It's like pouring alcohol in a wound, It hurts, but it will help you heal.
And that's the biggest problem I had, I felt like I knew what to say, how to help, but Hisao didn't at all.

I think I will take a break for a day or two, and then do Shizunes path - the last one for me. (I saw a let's play of Hanako's path).
Zezin

Post by Zezin »

Shizune's isn't very hard with the feels you don't need a break for that one.
Kadadj

Post by Kadadj »

Zezin wrote:Shizune's isn't very hard with the feels you don't need a break for that one.
It's 3:11 in the night/morning, so my brain isn't very functional at the moment.
Ugh, that stoic melancholy is still persisting. Not surprising though. It's a weird feeling going trough the KS gallery, seeing all the girls I've spent a good few hours learning to know. Each so different, yet likable in their own way. I doubt I'll like Shizune much though, where basically polar opposites.
Jawaberztoc

Post by Jawaberztoc »

I could only get myself to play the first one before I was taken over with the feeling that I was cheating on Emi (the first path I took) the second time I tried to read through it. I havent been able play it since then.
Kadadj

Post by Kadadj »

Jawaberztoc wrote:I could only get myself to play the first one before I was taken over with the feeling that I was cheating on Emi (the first path I took) the second time I tried to read through it. I havent been able play it since then.
I didn't really feel at all like that, it's a video game after all. I tried playing the Shizune story path, but I couldn't. I got impatient too fast, wanting to skip everything. I don't know if I've lost my interest in the game, or I just find Shizune boring.
It's annoying; the OCD part of me want to finish it, but the rest of my just doesn't.
I skipped everything except shit that got my attention, and I got some goosebumps, and I got to have sexy time with Misha! Damn, she's hot!
Can someone spoil the bad ending for me? I just know that she wanted to go away from everyone, and then she sat at some steps, looking sad. I didn't manage to stop the skipping before the credits :lol:
OtakuNinja

Post by OtakuNinja »

Right now I'm aiming for Lilly's bad end, for "fun".
Still, whenever I have to make a bad choice, I feel terrible. It's like I'm trying to put my hand in a fire. I just can't bring myself to to it, since I know what the outcome will be.
When I finally do make the bad choice, I hear Concord playing. That's when I regain my senses and remember why I'm doing this; 100% completion. ^^
Emibro, Hanabro, [Lilly Lover], Rin Kin, Feminist, Two-timer
(Passively working on my KS YouTube series. Someday...)
Pseudogenesis

Post by Pseudogenesis »

The answer is always yes.
The biggest dilemma in Katawa Shoujo:
'Should I recommend this to my friends or do I want them to continue to see me as mentally healthy?'

Mashup of the month: "Damn It Feels Good To Be a Cripple"
FortuneSnowman

First Playthrough... Now What?

Post by FortuneSnowman »

Hello, I'm the Fortune Snowman... I guess... and well, I suppose I should start. So, I figure if I'm going to be new here, I may as well explain my first playthrough, right? That's a good introduction as any, isn't it?

Well, recently I've been in kind of a drought of VN games, and when I saw mention of one on a website along with a name, I decided "Well why not?" This turned out to be Katawa Shoujo. Once I got into it and realized what it was, well I decided to stick with it because I figured at this point I owed it a chance (I had previously seen it and thought it's concept was a bit too off). May have been shallow on my part, but I decided that to avoid being uncomfortable, I'd probably just see which girl was least... off.

I now laugh at that prospect, because I ended up going with Rin. Feels weird, really does, but after those many hours of playing through it... it just feels kinda like Rin would be the very last person to go with if you were planning on trying them all. I know how weird it sounds, but I honestly can't even begin to imagine how any of the other paths could have been as deep or heart wrenching.

I actually honestly do want to try another path, but I'm legitimately worried it just wont come up to par after that whole ordeal. Yes, Rin's was actually that good. I can not possibly imagine any other path hitting me as hard, and if that's just one of five... I guess all I can really say is... wow. Bravo for the devs, really... Amazing.

Anyone have any suggestions for Round 2?
Rin>Lilly>Shizune>Hanako>Manly Picnic>Emi
Xanatos

Re: First Playthrough... Now What?

Post by Xanatos »

Hanako. Or Lilly. Emi's is great too. Maybe Shizune.

Go with Lilly's next if you like tea. Emi's if you like lemons. Shizune's if you like board games. And Hanako's if you like bacon.
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."