What arc should i try next?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Kaduro

Questions about the game.

Post by Kaduro »

Hello everyone.

My name is Kaduro and you can probably tell that I´m new here. So I apologize for any "newbie" mistakes I may make.

I´m bit curious about the game Katawa Shoujo. I was thinking if you guys were willing to share your thoughts on the game and perphas your opinion on it, if there's any?
I´m thinking about downloading it and play it but I´m not really sure if this game is fun or not, I´m sorry to say this. I´m not judging here, just letting people know.

If I may be honest, I´m afraid to be disappointed with the game itself. I´ve played another game called Don't take it personally, babe, it just ain't your story after Christine Love and when I finished that game, I was somewhat really disappointed with the end and game itself. Mostly, I was just disappointed with the end with that game and I´m ... how can we put this, "sort of afraid to be that disappointed again", I mean, if we even put it in that way. I´m aware that "we can't please everyone". So no need to write that down.

I´ve seen that there are some disappointment with the game but ... as I mentioned, I wanted to hear your guys thoughts or opinion on it, if there's any.

I´m also sorry if this topic has been posted before. Might aswell go looking for it if it exist.
I believe this would be an "bump" later anyway.

But anyone who would read this, I thank you in advance!

Best wishes,
Kaduro.
dwarduk

Re: Questions about the game.

Post by dwarduk »

Hey, Kaduro.

No need to worry about "newbie" mistakes; so far I've found this community to be on the most part very calm and accepting.

As for the game, I loved it. While I've heard some say they couldn't get into the game as such, finding its setting too detached from their own now they were so long past leaving school, it was perfect for me as someone graduating this year. All the characters (bar one, but that's in the supporting cast) are both amazingly individual and believable, and I just found myself getting so attached to them, so much so that it actually felt like the start of an actual relationship, in terms of mental state.

I'm not going to tell you to play it or not play it; I'll leave you to decide from my short opinion.

And: Welcome to the community.
- Dwarduk
Meiko will be my waifu. I swear it on my honour. </Zuko>
Kaduro

Post by Kaduro »

dwarduk wrote:Hey, Kaduro.

No need to worry about "newbie" mistakes; so far I've found this community to be on the most part very calm and accepting.

As for the game, I loved it. While I've heard some say they couldn't get into the game as such, finding its setting too detached from their own now they were so long past leaving school, it was perfect for me as someone graduating this year. All the characters (bar one, but that's in the supporting cast) are both amazingly individual and believable, and I just found myself getting so attached to them, so much so that it actually felt like the start of an actual relationship, in terms of mental state.

I'm not going to tell you to play it or not play it; I'll leave you to decide from my short opinion.

And: Welcome to the community.
- Dwarduk
I see.

But I thank you very much for sharing your opinion though :D!

And thank you!
ravenlord

Post by ravenlord »

If you are ever curious about a visual novel, then you can always check it out at VNDB (http://vndb.org/). That is the one-stop-shop for VN info.

As far as KS, it ranks very highly there: http://vndb.org/v945

Out of over 10,000 games, it is ranked #17 -- not too shabby!

I think it is very safe to say that you will not be disappointed :D
Hanako>Shizune>Lilly>Emi>Rin {100% complete}
"痘痕も靨" (If there is love, then smallpox scars are as pretty as dimples) ~ Japanese proverb
Pseudogenesis

Post by Pseudogenesis »

D'ya see the "Ask!" topic at the top of Public Discussion? Yeah, that's where you ask things. :p Welcome to the forums, by the way.
The biggest dilemma in Katawa Shoujo:
'Should I recommend this to my friends or do I want them to continue to see me as mentally healthy?'

Mashup of the month: "Damn It Feels Good To Be a Cripple"
WorldlyWiseman

Post by WorldlyWiseman »

Welcome, OP!

It would be a mistake to compare KS to 'Don't Take It Personally'. The latter was a one-month project by one person (with some of the art outsourced in a hurry), and she really wanted the game to make a point. She also meant for the player-character in that game to be thoroughly unlikable, which can be grating to play as. KS is much more relaxed in going about it's business and has five years and nearly a score of passionate people in its making.

In comparison to most VNs, you may find KS to be a little light on choices (I'm told) and easy to navigate towards particular endings. I find this to be a boon, personally, but others might want more granularity in their choices or might get confused about the logic in some of the decisions. The player-character Hisao is adolescent, and can act like such sometimes, but usually he's an okay guy trying to grapple with his situation. The characters make bad decisions sometimes, but the logic of them rarely comes out of left-field if you're paying attention. Reading through KS is a satisfactory experience.

I don't have a ton of experience with fandoms, but the folks here on the forums seem to be okay. Sometimes they get trolled pretty easily, so stay congenial. The fanfic section is lively and the fanart is mostly adorable with nothing creepy.

That's my review of things.
Hanako's favorite joke is The Aristocrats, but she never tells it because Lilly finds it really offensive. Instead, she practices her delivery in front of a mirror when she's alone. It's the only time she never stammers.
Pseudogenesis

Post by Pseudogenesis »

The most important choice tends to be towards the end of Act 3 or the middle of Act 4, generally deciding whether or not you'll get the good or bad ending. That's all I can really say about choices.
The biggest dilemma in Katawa Shoujo:
'Should I recommend this to my friends or do I want them to continue to see me as mentally healthy?'

Mashup of the month: "Damn It Feels Good To Be a Cripple"
yummines

Post by yummines »

I never play visual novels. The only reason i would is for fap material. (i.e. monmusu quest)

I was incapable of fapping. Too much feels. Near the end if Rin's route where she breaks down in the art gallery really stuck a cord in me.

I play mainly games like Bioshock and F.E.A.R. but that didnt stop me from enjoying KS
Keneshiro

Cannot bring myself to finish the game

Post by Keneshiro »

Just finished playing the Hanako arc with the best ending. She was my first choice and I was surprised that I played that exact same tile game.
Well, I don't know what I'm feeling, but I can't bring myself to play anymore. It sounds kinda dumb, but I feel that playing another arc would seem kinda like a betrayal of sorts. I get this weird attachment to Hanako and I just can't stop thinking of the story and what happens next.
It's kinda depressing as well considering the fact that chances of me meeting anyone remotely like Hanako is less than zero.

Wondering if anyone could tell me what is happening?
Image <<< The waifu
i write crazy stories: A Visit to the Hospital
yummines

Re: Cannot bring myself to finish the game

Post by yummines »

its called, you've grown attached to a certain character.

YOU'VE COME DOWN WITH A BAD CASE OF THE FEELS.

just calm down for a second. remember for a moment that this is just a game. it says so at the top of the forums. don't panic, it's just a game. whether or not you play Hanako's route, she will stay the same, because she is a video game character, not a human being.

i know that feel. Rin's route really touched me when i first played it. I felt bad while playing other routes because then Rin might have another nervous breakdown if she decides to go through with the art gallery, yet this time Hisao isn't there for her. but then i just thought for a second. if Hisao wasn't there for her. its Hisao, not you.

i would take a break from playing the game for now.
Camoufrage

Post by Camoufrage »

You'll be fine broski. We've all been through this. At some point you just dont want to keep going because you will feel as though you are betraying the characters you feel so attached to. But that is the thing, they are CHARACTERS. I know its incredibly hard to get through your head, I mean we all went through it. But you'll power through it, and maybe you will get the courage to keep going.

I know I did, and nothing is more satisfying than finally finishing the beautiful collage :D
Keneshiro

Post by Keneshiro »

yummines wrote:its called, you've grown attached to a certain character.

just calm down for a second. remember for a moment that this is just a game. it says so at the top of the forums. don't panic, it's just a game. whether or not you play Hanako's route, she will stay the same, because she is a video game character, not a human being.

i know that feel. Rin's route really touched me when i first played it. I felt bad while playing other routes because then Rin might have another nervous breakdown if she decides to go through with the art gallery, yet this time Hisao isn't there for her. but then i just thought for a second. if Hisao wasn't there for her. its Hisao, not you.

But it's so god damned depressing. Bugger me, I've never grown this attached to any character ever. It's sort of depressing knowing that I'll never get the chance to experience this in real life. GOD DAMN THESE FEELS.
Image <<< The waifu
yummines

Post by yummines »

Keneshiro wrote:
yummines wrote:its called, you've grown attached to a certain character.

But it's so god damned depressing. Bugger me, I've never grown this attached to any character ever. It's sort of depressing knowing that I'll never get the chance to experience this in real life. GOD DAMN THESE FEELS.
everyone on this forum knows that feel. should probably wait till tomorrow for more posts (cause this forum already is pretty slow, and gets most of its posts during the afternoon) and i probably should sleep soon so i'll just say these things.
honestly KS is probably the only game i would even consider claiming a waifu. honestly if i ever found a girl like Rin i likely would either get a restraining order put on me or be the happiest person in the world. chances are, there is someone like that in the world. maybe not the exact description (a japanese girl with green eyes and red hair? wtf?) but probably close enough.
and well this sort of thing happened to me as well after finishing the anime Toradora! but well, you gotta deal with it someday
Keneshiro

Post by Keneshiro »

Thank you guys. Just redid the last scene. THOSE FEELINGS. Ah, well, I consider myself lucky enough to experience these feels.
Image <<< The waifu
Camoufrage

Post by Camoufrage »

Keneshiro wrote:Thank you guys. Just redid the last scene. THOSE FEELINGS. Ah, well, I consider myself lucky enough to experience these feels.
Thats exactly the way you should think about it. You experienced something that 99.99999% of the people on this planet did not. And yes, it is emotional, but at the same time its an amazing story at its core. And thats how you should treat it. Hanakos a great character and a beautiful girl, but you cant get stuck on it. ITS HARD, we all know, and you will be for a little bit.

But once you accept that its just an amazing story with amazing characters you feel even better than you did when you were getting so connected to those characters.