Hanako and Life of Pi?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Reksho

Re: Life of Pi?

Post by Reksho »

Blaze117 wrote:Just curious... any Hanabros going to see Life of Pi? Read it? The trailers look really good, I might go watch it with my one and only ^.^

MFW People look at me talking to a picture on my phone...http://bit.ly/UKnlQ7

Damn right I'm gonna watch the movie. Ang Lee isn't a director just for show.
Though I'm kinda hesitant because the trailers only show the second part of the book (which is the most important part). But the first reviews dripping in are promising.
Shadowyeclipse

Re: Life of Pi?

Post by Shadowyeclipse »

Reksho wrote:
Blaze117 wrote:Just curious... any Hanabros going to see Life of Pi? Read it? The trailers look really good, I might go watch it with my one and only ^.^

MFW People look at me talking to a picture on my phone...http://bit.ly/UKnlQ7

Damn right I'm gonna watch the movie. Ang Lee isn't a director just for show.
Though I'm kinda hesitant because the trailers only show the second part of the book (which is the most important part). But the first reviews dripping in are promising.

To be honest, the only reason I didn't skip the first part of the book is because I would be afraid I missed anything.

The first part has no prevalence in the rest of the book whatsoever, so I'm a little fine with the movie cutting corners on this one.
Emibro, [Hanabro],[Lilly Lover], Rin Kin, Feminist, Two-timer

Currently: None.
To do list: Clannad, Chaos;Head, Steins;Gate
Finished: Toradora, Katawa Shoujo, Analogue: A hate story, Narcissu.
ProfAllister

Re: Hanako and Life of Pi?

Post by ProfAllister »

Watched the movie today. Family tradition to go out and watch a movie on Black Friday. Everyone was planning on Life of Pi or Skyfall, and Skyfall was sold out by the time we got there.

Spouse had read the book, I hadn't. We both enjoyed the movie.

Hadn't read the book myself, and spouse didn't remember the specific details, so don't know how the adaptation compares to the book. Here's a summary of events as presented in the movie:

Author is interviewing Pi. Pi explains his name, religious background, Richard Parker, his girlfriend, then things go into full narrative as he describes the beginning of the journey up through the shipwreck.

Meat of the movie is Pi learning to survive and learning to deal with Richard Parker. Whenever he seems to become acclimated, bad things happen, and things get worse and worse. Once things seem hopeless, they arrive on the carnivorous island. After that interlude, they leave the island, then it skips to their arrival in Mexico. Richard Parker leaves without a goodbye.

Return to the present (the interview), and Pi explains the epilogue, with the investigators questioning him. Pi gives the mundane story. Pi claims that the mundane story was a lie, and the tiger story was the truth. Then Pi confronts the author with the conundrum - two stories, same basic events, neither provable. Author states that the story with the tiger is the better story.

Obviously, there's more to the movie than that basic summary, but that should hit all the key points where it might differ from the book.
Current Project: Misha Pseudo-Route

Discord ID: ProfAllister#9754
Discord server
Reksho

Re: Hanako and Life of Pi?

Post by Reksho »

ProfAllister wrote:Obviously, there's more to the movie than that basic summary, but that should hit all the key points where it might differ from the book.
That's actually almost exactly how it happened in the book. I am impressed by the accuracy of this movie. No film adaptation of a book I have ever seen was a direct adaptation without compromising parts of the book (which is understandable since they are two different media).

Still curious how they handled the existential and philosophical debates Pi has in his head about life in general.