Stranded on a deserted island. Who do you want with you?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Who do you want with you if you are stranded on a deserted island?

Akira
14%
Emi
10%
Hanako
19%
Kenji
5%
Lilly
10%
Miki
4%
Misha
4%
Nurse
9%
Mutou
4%
Rin
8%
Shizune
9%
Yuuko
2%
Someone else
2%
No one else
1%

Total votes: 167

Zarys

Re: Stranded on a deserted island. Who do you want with you

Post by Zarys »

Potato wrote: Let's see how well her kindness does you when you're dirty, starving, possibly dealing with wildlife...Also, she has not been shown capable of enduring pains. She has been shown capable of coping with them in the worst ways possible. Becoming a hair-trigger-skittish paranoid reclusive misanthrope is not enduring anything. It's being damaged and broken down by it. It's coping with it, in the same way curling up on the beach and sobbing while in your mental happy place is coping with being stranded on a deserted island. :P
She is not even really antisocial because she is mentaly paralyzed but because she did not want to open up to the others...I'm not saying that this is not a problem but it is rather superficial and she never showed neglect her life or health.
Even Hisao in the bad end realizes that he is not really better than her, that he would be broken if she was, the fact that he better manages social relations does not mean much. A major failure factor in his relationship with Hanako is don't understand that he is not very different from her, in part because he don't accept his new state and the fact that he also build mental walls, (and accomplish this is what allows you to have good ending with the fact of going beyond her apparent fragility) as it is implied that he has never revealed as he did with the girls in the game, there was a certain emotional distance with his former "friends".
She was not fed intravenously before meet Lilly, you know, she is able to care for herself
She lost her parents, was burned, vilified for her appareance, and just became introverted (and half because she wanted it) and you say she is a fragile dool who cannot endure anything ?
You are sure to have played her Route ? this is one of the aesop that no, she will not die or go mad if she is no helped. (not that people cannot people bring positive things to her; Hisao and Lilly could be positive for her, they can also hurt her in the bad ending but even here she will survive)
What is the point of the whole character Hanako for you ?

The least we can do is put her on par with the others for the hypothetical mental resilience.
Lilly would not be paralyzed by his blindness because A) Lilly is a girl and B) Blindness is not paralysis. Yes, it's a new environment. So was everywhere else she has ever been at first, and she got along fine. Plus Lilly is well-known to keep a calm disposition no matter the burden, helpful in a survival situation. She could also make tea if any plants on the island are suitable. Hydration, how useless, right?
I think you seriously underestimate the impact of blindness in a survival situation, and be an expert in tea does no means you know what wild plants are poisonous or not, and make tea need already drinkable water...it gives more taste but it is not essential.
Emi is athletic, and thus useful for possible hunting or trekking through heavy-foliage areas for fruit and such. There's no reason to think her prosthetics would suddenly be useless. Friction doesn't cease to be in sand or jungles. She is also very much an active, progress-oriented person. Also useful.
His prostheses could quickly wear out, and if her stumps are damaged by too much effort ?
If you'd go with Hanako because of her kindness and because she's cute, great. But just say that. :lol:
Are you saying that my choice is motivated by non-rational reasons ? :shock:

bhtooefr wrote:Plane crash means that there's likely a fire, which may be a trigger for Hanako, in the negative column. In the positive column, she likely has a lot of random knowledge that may be handy due to her reading. Her coping strategies for psychological abuse aren't exactly relevant to coping strategies in a disaster situation, and she has a gift for forcing herself through her anxieties if there's someone else in need of her assistance (because she's a white knight herself - and for the same reasons as most white knights, wanting to distract from her own issues and make people think she's useful).
White-knight Hanako ? hmm...it's not totally wrong...she wants to be useful and although I think her logic is more to maintain equal status..."She knows Hisao's Story, she must tell her story to Hisao; Hisao shows his scar, she shows her scars; she gives him sex and waits to have a serious relationship"
I agree with the fact that her response to the violence of others does not mean she would be paralyzed in a survival situation.
Last edited by Zarys on Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
"With my eternal life, I will see the world through to its end. Until everyone who won't like me is gone."
— Porky Minch

"Can you face your fears ?"
— Hanako

I speak from the noise
Souls and shapes, forever twisted
the lost voices of the damned
lure the bringer of despair
Oscar Wildecat

Post by Oscar Wildecat »

If I were to find myself stranded on a deserted island, I would want Akira with me. With her, I would be reasonably confident that she wouldn't burn all the rum. :wink:
I like all the girls in KS, but empathize with Hanako the most.
"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." - Mark Twain
“Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way that they ask for directions.” - Winston Churchill
Checkout SordidEuphemism's Logo Thread.
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

Do any of the girls have turtle riding experience?
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"
ParagonTerminus

Post by ParagonTerminus »

For my own selfish reasons of love? I want Hanako on that island with me. The lack of other people would help her psyche a lot. Oh yeah, and jungle sex.

For practical purposes? Most probably Mutou or Nurse. Mutou would know all kinds of things about useful plants and such, and Nurse would be an expert doctor, which is necessary in a survival situation. Also, his good humour would really raise morale.

Also, I noticed there's no Hisao option; that's all good, though, because no one in their right mind would choose him :lol:
The best feeling in the world (FTL)

I am legitimately the only member of this website who unconditionally despises Kenji.
d2r

Post by d2r »

I just wanna pop in again and give my analysis. I think you're all overlooking the fact that most of the characters - except Lilly and presumably Akira - are either explicitly depicted as or implied to have somewhat limited English skills. So unless you speak Japanese (or are fluent in sign language, for Shizune or Misha), then your ability to communicate (and thus either socialize or co-ordinate on gathering food, constructing shelter, and eventually building a boat to escape) are limited. If you pick Hanako, for instance, then unless you speak Japanese, you're going to have huge difficulty communicating (never mind the fact that her anxiety issues likely mean she'd shut down and be worse than useless).

In choosing a character, I have to choose based on who'd be the most helpful to allow me to survive, in the short term, and escape, in the long term. Having to learn a new language isn't an insurmountable barrier, but it's a barrier. This means that, since I don't speak Japanese and can't sign, Lilly and Akira are the two best options. And of the two, I'd rather have someone who can actually see, since they're more practical in helping with survival. So, once again, Akira.

EDIT: Nurse might be a good option for medical skills alone, if you can deal with communication issues. Everyone else, though, has no real talents which would help in a survival situation.
Last edited by d2r on Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Comrade wrote:infinite options does not mean all options, just like that between every two numbers there are infinite numbers, but not all.

If I see that sentence anywhere I am going to send your head to your mother with a replacment order
If you like a moodier fanfic, why not try mine?
bhtooefr

Post by bhtooefr »

Hanako canonically does "OK" at English, though... And I suspect that that's her being modest so as not to rub her ability in Hisao's face. If that's the case, she may well be fluent.

Still, Akira or Lilly would be better bets for that reason, and your analysis of Lilly's abilities is quite valid.

Emi, though, forget it. Communication will require knowing Japanese.
Last edited by bhtooefr on Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bhtooefr's one-shot and drabble thread
Enjoy The Silence - Sequel to All I Have (complete)
Enough is enough! I have had it with these motherfucking zombies on this motherfucking forum!
azumeow

Post by azumeow »

d2r wrote:I just wanna pop in again and give my analysis. I think you're all overlooking that most of the characters - except Lilly and presumably Akira - are either explicitly depicted as or implied to have somewhat limited English skills. So unless you speak Japanese (or are fluent in sign language, for Shizune or Misha), then your ability to communicate (and thus either socialize or co-ordinate on surviving, gathering food, constructing shelter, and eventually building a boat to escape) are limited. If you pick Hanako, for instance, then unless you speak Japanese, you're going to have huge difficulty communicating (never mind the fact that her anxiety issues likely mean she'd shut down and be worse than useless).

In choosing a character, I have to choose based on who'd be the most helpful to allow me to survive, in the short term, and escape, in the long term. Having to learn a new language isn't an insurmountable barrier, but it's a barrier. This means that, since I don't speak Japanese and can't sign, Lilly and Akira are the two best options. And of the two, I'd rather have someone who can actually see, since they're more practical in helping with survival. So, once again, Akira.

EDIT: Nurse might be a good option for medical skills alone, if you can deal with communication issues. Everyone else, though, has no real talents which would help in a survival situation.
I think it's fair to say that, for the scenario, that communication gap is bridged.
"I don’t want to be here anymore, I know there’s nothing left worth staying for.
Your paradise is something I’ve endured
See I don’t think I can fight this anymore, I’m listening with one foot out the door
And something has to die to be reborn-I don’t want to be here anymore"
d2r

Post by d2r »

azumeow wrote:I think it's fair to say that, for the scenario, that communication gap is bridged.
At no point in the OP was that stated. :P
Comrade wrote:infinite options does not mean all options, just like that between every two numbers there are infinite numbers, but not all.

If I see that sentence anywhere I am going to send your head to your mother with a replacment order
Zarys

Post by Zarys »

bhtooefr wrote:Hanako canonically does "OK" at English, though... And I suspect that that's her being modest so as not to rub her ability in Hisao's face. If that's the case, she may well be fluent.

Still, Akira or Lilly would be better bets for that reason, and your analysis of Lilly's abilities is quite valid.

Emi, though, forget it. Communication will require knowing Japanese.

The blindness of Lilly's too dangerous, no evidence that Akira is more likely to survive than someone else, and Hanako takes the lead with all the books on survival she surely read (at least the life of pi) and her mental resilience.

I WON, HANAKO IS THE MORE RATIONAL (And emotional, obviously <3 ) CHOICE 888888

You can close this thread now, the debate is over.
"With my eternal life, I will see the world through to its end. Until everyone who won't like me is gone."
— Porky Minch

"Can you face your fears ?"
— Hanako

I speak from the noise
Souls and shapes, forever twisted
the lost voices of the damned
lure the bringer of despair
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

bhtooefr wrote:Emi, though, forget it. Communication will require knowing Japanese.
We all speak the language of love.

Frickin' clichéd-ass mfgngfm...
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"
Munchenhausen

Post by Munchenhausen »

But if Hanako's stranded on a desert island with you; no Hisao, no Lilly, just you... a perfect stranger...
Is there any real way of knowing if she'd even communicate with you in the first place? She may well block up again due to everything that's happening. She's only human, after all, a human with major emotional troubles.
Like stupid, silly doodles with no point? You've come to the right place, friend :^)
I also occasionally write oneshots. Why not have a skimread?
Miki fic? Miki fic!
---
"We are a small country full of the most stubborn bastards on the planet. You might want to rethink your actions." - Anon
d2r

Post by d2r »

Munchenhausen wrote:But if Hanako's stranded on a desert island with you; no Hisao, no Lilly, just you... a perfect stranger...
Is there any real way of knowing if she'd even communicate with you in the first place? She may well block up again due to everything that's happening. She's only human, after all, a human with major emotional troubles.
Exactly. She's actually one of the worst choices for this kind of scenario. Think who'd be the most useful in a survival scenario, not who your waifu is. There are other threads for that question. :P

ParagonTerminus

Post by ParagonTerminus »

d2r wrote:
Munchenhausen wrote:But if Hanako's stranded on a desert island with you; no Hisao, no Lilly, just you... a perfect stranger...
Exactly. She's actually one of the worst choices for this kind of scenario. Think who'd be the most useful in a survival scenario, not who your waifu is. There are other threads for that question. :P
The lack of other people might be helpful for her psyche. She might actually thrive while alone.
The best feeling in the world (FTL)

I am legitimately the only member of this website who unconditionally despises Kenji.
Atario

Post by Atario »

I sort of assumed we're Hisao, like in the game. But anyway, did you people drop your Babel Fish?
NB: none of the above is a request

Mutou Gets Fired — a little one-shot fanfic I wrote
bhtooefr

Post by bhtooefr »

I figured someone would give me one as long as I had my towel.

In any case, I'm not changing my vote, because my vote was for Akira. But, if it's with me, and not me-as-Hisao, then Hanako's completely out of the running.
bhtooefr's one-shot and drabble thread
Enjoy The Silence - Sequel to All I Have (complete)
Enough is enough! I have had it with these motherfucking zombies on this motherfucking forum!