What do you think about Hisao's personality?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Oddball

Re: What do you think about Hisao's personality?

Post by Oddball »

I believe it was more like 17. Which would piss off just about every reasonable person.
The 2 daily not to die bit is a reference Hisao makes early in he game. He follows it up by adding, "it doesn't say that, but it might as well."

And yeah, that's a hell of a lot of pills.
Not Dead Yet
Helbereth

Post by Helbereth »

Oddball wrote:
I believe it was more like 17. Which would piss off just about every reasonable person.
The 2 daily not to die bit is a reference Hisao makes early in he game. He follows it up by adding, "it doesn't say that, but it might as well."

And yeah, that's a hell of a lot of pills.
I take two in the morning and one at night, every day (hypertensive). Having to take any number of pills every day is a pain in the neck - 17 is just a ridiculous number. More than once I recall him mentioning that taking all of them at once makes him feel like skipping breakfast.
Tomate

Post by Tomate »

Machoman wrote:Which Hisao? I actually wanted to make a thread on this but since you already kind of did I'll just post it here.

Hisao's personality varies in the different arcs (usually mirroring the girl).

I like Shizune's Hisao best. He actually goes for it and asks her out (the girl pretty much falls into his lap in the other routes) and he shows some drive in learning sign language just to talk to one person. He kind of falters in act 3 and Shizune takes the lead again, but by act 4 he has really grown and she even says she can rely on him.

Hanako's Hisao is horrible, aping the worst parts of her personality, a cringeworthy lack of killer instinct, constantly treating her with kid gloves and never saying what he really thinks. If she didn't make something happen then he never would. He is a coward pretty much.

Lilly's Hisao is the same. He becomes a procrastinator, avoiding the future (like she avoids telling him about the summons to Scotland). He also doesn't even try to convince her to stay and doesn't take his health seriously (thus making their last sex scene end on an unsatisfying note). He is totally oblivious to the fact that always letting Lilly take the lead in bed was not enough for her.

Rin's Hisao becomes codependent in her mental problems, somewhat enabling her. And he creepily joins the art club just to follow her around when it is clear he has no real desire to make art himself.

Emi's Hisao starts weak, running only because of the force of her personality. Assuming good ending choices he does redeem himself somewhat, becoming self motivated on the health front and interested in her well being besides. He is kind of overbearing and nosy though. This is also the route where he takes his future in science most seriously.
You are a gentleman and a scholar, sir.
I echo machoman's words, specially the part about Shizune's route Hisao, which I believe is the best Hisao of all.
Don't just eat that hamburger, eat the HELL out of it!
Brogurt

Post by Brogurt »

His only personality trait is stupidity which varies wildly as necessary to advance the plot, and that comes off as very contrived more often than not.
Guest Poster

Post by Guest Poster »

More naïvete and cluelessness than actual stupidity since (assuming the player makes the right choices) Hisao does learn from his mistakes and owes up to them no matter what route you take.

Also, about Shizune-route Hisao...there's little dispute that at the end of Shizune's route, Hisao is probably the most confident, but in all fairness let's not forget he's had an entire school year to develop and get his life in order by the time graduation rolls around. In certain other routes, he has like six weeks to get his life and inner demons in order. (not to mention the fact that in Shizune's route Hisao's a bystander in the main conflict rather than someone who gets dragged headlong into it, which allows him to be slightly more objective)
Sisterhood: True Edition. Hanako epilogue I wrote. Now expanded with additional chapters.
Disguised Kenji

Post by Disguised Kenji »

Actually, I always thought that Shizune's personality was more like forced on him than in the others. But at least in the good ending it came out as a good thing.

I don't feel like he's that stupid in Hanako's route, giving the ending happens only after about 6 weeks after he's out of the hospital. In his state I probably would suck even more. But in Lilly's route he had a few months to develop, I thought he would grow up a bit more in the middle.
TheSongofRaven

Post by TheSongofRaven »

Maybe he is kind of harsh, sarcastic and somehow act like a fool, but at least he is honest and have nice personality.
That's my opinion. Somehow, he remind me to my deceased friend, and for that, i respect it :)
"I believe everything like horse race. When you are lose, simply ride the horse again and face any challange"
Twitter : @GrimPointman, Skype : steven.yehezkiel6791
yummines

Post by yummines »

Helbereth wrote: I take two in the morning and one at night, every day (hypertensive). Having to take any number of pills every day is a pain in the neck - 17 is just a ridiculous number. More than once I recall him mentioning that taking all of them at once makes him feel like skipping breakfast.
The exact number isnt important. Its simply the fact that after getting a heart attack at age 17, having to daily take medicine, and knowing its likely he wont live very long, i can see why he would be frustrated as hell.
Its obvious hes going to be out of it for a little while
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

and knowing its likely he wont live very long, i can see why he would be frustrated as hell.
Hisao says a time or two in the game that he expects to die young and not live past thirty, but if I remember correctly, the doctor said that people with his condition tend to live a lot longer than people with most heart problems and if you look up his condition, most people that have it live a regualr life span.

I always chalked his talk about dying young up to depression more than fact.
Not Dead Yet
Loonie

Post by Loonie »

Personally I wasn't too hard on him in my playthrough. A lot of players are, probably because they feel helpless while he inadvertently does or says something against their wishes, but I just keep in mind what I was like myself at the end of my high school years and apply that confused and passionate frame of mind to Hisao - and I can forgive him a great deal. Because bottom line is Hisao's still a confused kid, just figuring things out for himself. Perhaps a teenage one on the threshold of adulthood...but still - no less a kid. It's also why I like KS so much - because on top of being a romantic story, it also doubles beautifully as a passage of Hisao into adulthood in many ways.

The only time I really couldn't bring myself to forgive him was, unsurprisingly, during Rin's neutral ending. I mean REALLY! REALLY?! This girl caused a catharsis within you during Act 2, that broke you out of your cynical self-pity, AND her decision to finally give her artistic career a shot allowed you to finally feel good about your own life on that dandelion field...and in the end you repay her for these things with nothing but cynical bullshit that drives her to give up on her basic human right to be close to someone?! ASDFGHJKL

But yeah...that was basically the only time I couldn't forgive him, because so many people in this day and age think *that's* what it means to be a grown up. To give up on *all* of your dreams...even the ones on which you should never give up on, because you have a right to them as a human being.
Last edited by Loonie on Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ShadeHaven

Post by ShadeHaven »

I think he's an idiot teenager with a heart problem, who I can entirely relate to.
Loonie

Post by Loonie »

ShadeHaven wrote:I think he's an idiot teenager with a heart problem, who I can entirely relate to.
Dammit...don't post something that summarizes my lengthy posts *that* well! I won't feel nearly as smart then. :D

/jk It's nice to be reminded of the economy of words. I save it for my stories, but still...It'd be nice to use it in forums a bit more too. Though I guess if everyone did, then we'd all sound like poor 'Zen-master' imitators. :P
Beoran

Post by Beoran »

Apart form what has said before, that Hisao is simply a troubled an inexperienced teenager, I think you could say that in a sense he is admirable to turn around his life so quickly, at least in the good endings. From 6 weeks to 1 year, that's actually quite quick to get over, or at least to tart to get over such a significant shock.

As for him being irritating in the bad endings... he's well intentioned, but if he makes the wrong choice, the results will be less than pleasant. That makes sense and that is why it IS a bad (or neutral) ending. You the player, make a bad choice in his place and guide Hisao down the wrong path. In a way, I think that VN's are not unlike reality, in that the moments in which we can make a significant choice that will make a difference are often few and far inbetween. And if we make the wrong coice, often, there is no
way to undo or repair this.

I think it was Confucius who said: "If you see something good in a person, then try to do the same, but if you see something bad in a person, then think about how you are doing the same." So if you see something that irritates you in Hisao, than think about how you yourself have made or could be making the same mistakes. And that is why there is so much you can learn from Katawa Shoujo.
Kind Regards, B.
Feeling like your heart is broken? Need to get it off your chest? Tell your story here.
Take a look at Eruta my jRPG under development. New web site since december 2012.
Play Ature, my free and open source indie Atari 2600 action adventure game.
All great love is above pity: for it wants - to create what is loved! -- F. Nietzsche - Thus Spoke Zarathustra.
ShadeHaven

Post by ShadeHaven »

Loonie wrote:
ShadeHaven wrote:I think he's an idiot teenager with a heart problem, who I can entirely relate to.
Dammit...don't post something that summarizes my lengthy posts *that* well! I won't feel nearly as smart then. :D

/jk It's nice to be reminded of the economy of words. I save it for my stories, but still...It'd be nice to use it in forums a bit more too. Though I guess if everyone did, then we'd all sound like poor 'Zen-master' imitators. :P
Ha, I'd post more...but I'm generally too lazy to fully express myself when it comes to opinion threads. That, and my longer posts tend to lack sense for whatever reason.
ProfAllister

Post by ProfAllister »

Already posted my thoughts here, but I'll paste the relevant portion, as it's perhaps more relevant here than it was there. No editing since my initial posting, so it amy come off as a little meandering and scatterbrained:

Hisao starts out as a nobody, a virtual non-entity. He has a few trivial character details, but nothing of any real commitment. In all honesty, Hisao starts out the story as Bella Swan. Right down to every single person of the opposite sex in the new school falling madly in love with him. Unlike Bella, his character develops.

At the beginning, Hisao does need the girls. That's what the manly picnic's all about. He has no convictions, no aim, nothing. This ties into the sexual politics running throughout the novel. With the possible exception of Hanako, it is always the girls who initiate, be it socialization or sex.

Emi sees that Hisao is depressed because his body refuses to let him do what he wants to do. She can sympathise, so she takes it on herself to be the white knight, rescuing poor depressed princess Hisao, giving his life structure and goals. In the bad end, Hisao becomes exactly like Emi, trying to carry all his troubles by himself. Everything falls apart, so he takes refuge in running as an escape from life. In the good end, Hisao accepts that you can rely on others, and ask for help (it's impossible to get the good end unless you seek or accept help). He realises that Emi gave him help long before he knew he needed help. He understands and accepts that he is able to stand on his own, but that life is better when you allow others to help.

Shizune sees Hisao's depression and decides that she wants to help him see how much there is for him to appreciate. She takes pride in her handiwork, in doing things for others. She is rather simplistic in assuming that everyone thinks much like her, so she enlists Hisao to push him, so he can see what he can do. She is quick to give up on him - if he has no fighting spirit, she sees him as a lost cause. Hisao makes a show of objecting to all the work and bullying, but he finds that his life has more meaning in doing things, along with enjoying Shizune and Misha's company. Becasue of Shizune's take-charge personality, Hisao finds himself coasting, allowing others, usually Shizune, to make all the decisions. In the bad end, Hisao refuses to take a stand, and takes the path of least resistance. He then makes his first actual choice in the relationship, choosing to shut Shizune out rather than admit that he made a mistake. In the good end, HIsao realises that he has to determine his own path. He takes charge of the situation, as he can see this is something that Shizune can't and won't handle. The story ends on an open note because the whole theme is Hisao's ability and desire to choose.

Lilly sees that Hisao is lost and aimless. He has no motivation, no aim, and Lilly can tell. Being of a motherly disposition, she takes Hisao under her wing, but realizes that she's not interested in a child, she's interested in a lover. Hisao, like a lost puppy, follows her wherever she goes. Lilly wants to stay with Hisao, but isn't certain that Hisao wants her to stay. In the bad end, Hisao never learns to stand on his own. He relies on Lilly for everything, but refuses to actually open up to her and trust her. Hisao's problems are Hisao's problems, and, by extension, Lilly's problems are Lilly's problems. Hisao doesn't trust that Lilly will stay with him if he asks, so he never asks. In the good end, Hisao has learned that Lilly wants to share her burdens with him, and is willing to share his burdens with her. He trusts her, and he also understands that she wants to be an equal in the relationship. He realises that Lilly need him to take a stand; he trusts that she will stay if he asks her. And he realizes that his inability to be an adult has led to his girlfriend/love leaving. So he decides to man up, do whatever it takes, and let Lilly know what he feels. His dramatic gesture crashes and burns, but it makes an impact.

Rin sees that Hisao is very much like her - directionless, adrift, with no sense of self. She doesn't trust herself or her words. She can't bring herself to say anything, so she uses gentle nudges. She makes excuses to spend time with him, couches her actions in ambiguous gestures, and tries to make sense of him, in the hopes that making sense of Hisao will help her to make sense of herself. Hisao finds himself coasting, just going with the flow, and they gradually find themselves fascinated with the enigma that is the other. They try to reach out tot he other, but whenever one of them is ready, the other isn't. In the bad end, Hisao gives up, refusing to try to understand Rin, or himself. In the neutral (also bad) end, Hisao sides with Nomiya - no one cares about understanding other people, it's all about the art. Hisao gives up on trying to understand Rin, because he feels it's a lost cause, and convinces Rin that understanding and being understood is a lost cause, so she decides to do all that she knows, because it's all she can know. In the good ending, Hisao realizes that understanding and being understood is a red herring. What both he and Rin are seeking is someone to whom they can connect. In finding that they can form a true connection, they decide that understanding and being understood wasn't all that important to begin with.

Hanako sees that Hisao is being nice to her, though she doesn't understand why. She allows him to get close, because she wants love and affection, but also because she sees that Hisao needs help, so she has something to offer to him. Every time Hisao does something for her, she seeks to return the favor. She relies on Hisao, but she wants to show him that she's strong, and that he can rely on her. In the bad end, Hisao has become dependent on protecting Hanako. He refuses to let her be strong, to see her as strong, because he has made protecting her his sole purpose. In the neutral end, Hisao doesn't stifle Hanako, but he refuses to see her strength, so Hanako remains in Hisao's eyes a delicate porcelain doll, appreciated and admired, but too fragile to be loved. In the good end, Hisao gives Hanako the space and opportunity to be strong, to let her use her own judgement, so much so that he stops even thinking about her fragility. He then learns that Hanako is actually very strong, so much so that she has become hard. They learn that they each unfairly misinterpreted the other's actions, but have accepted that they're both strong enough to repair the faults and rebuild their relationship on mutual trust and understanding.

In all the endings, good and bad, Hisao learns something important, which he will take with him later in life. The key difference is what it costs, of himself and of others.
Current Project: Misha Pseudo-Route

Discord ID: ProfAllister#9754
Discord server