Am I the only one who feels that Hanako's arc is overrated?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Machoman

Re: Am I the only one who feels that Kanako's arc is overrat

Post by Machoman »

Yep, Shizune's route is my favorite too, so as you might expect the kind of person that enjoys reading her route wouldn't enjoy Hanako's as much. I don't even have a problem with Hanako, the way Hisao acts in Hanako's route is horrible and makes it impossible to empathize with him.
Disguised Kenji

Post by Disguised Kenji »

Now I feel lonely being the one that liked her route the most... Don't know why, she resonated more than the others. I think it's because she's shy, but willing to overcome it. And the fact it destroyed the White Knight stereotype as being good, forcing the protagonist to acknowledge his own flaws (which aren't as superfluous as many you find in other stories, like don't being able to cook, or just clumsy; his mindset is somewhat flawed too). Or maybe I'm just as dense as Hisao. :lol:

But I enjoyed all the arcs, too. Even that damn picnic was hilarious.
Pyramid Head

Post by Pyramid Head »

Disguised Kenji wrote:Now I feel lonely being the one that liked her route the most... Don't know why, she resonated more than the others. I think it's because she's shy, but willing to overcome it. And the fact it destroyed the White Knight stereotype as being good, forcing the protagonist to acknowledge his own flaws (which aren't as superfluous as many you find in other stories, like don't being able to cook, or just clumsy; his mindset is somewhat flawed too). Or maybe I'm just as dense as Hisao. :lol:

But I enjoyed all the arcs, too. Even that damn picnic was hilarious.
You weren't dense, yes the Hanako arc does have some patchwork issues but generally they succeeded at what they were aiming for. Some of us do have a tendancy to overrate it but the original poster was talking completely out of his ass. There are matters of opinion but the claim that Hanako didn't have a character growth followed up by the claim that Rin DID gives you reason to suspect he is talking about something completely different from Katawa Shoujo. Like i said the Rin arc was good, but Rin didn't have a significant change to her personality aside from possibly learning a little healthy cynicism after being exploited, it was Hisao who made the most change in that arc.
...and thank fuck for that, even though he can be smart for a protagonist he still can piss me off in a lot of these arcs. I almost wish this really was a video game and we had complete control over a protagonist, but that probably would have taken too long anyway.
The fear of blood tends to create fear for the flesh.
Disguised Kenji

Pyramid Head wrote: Like i said the Rin arc was good, but Rin didn't have a significant change to her personality aside from possibly learning a little healthy cynicism after being exploited, it was Hisao who made the most change in that arc.
I believe Rin changed the most, in fact. She seems seems to be more confident and at ease with herself than in the beginning (even though still confusing as hell). In the beginning she seems to be greatly influenced by what others think of her, regardless of what she says. Like when Hisao and Nomiya suggested about the exhibition.
Nyzer

Post by Nyzer »

Hmm. Probably. She's probably the least self-confident of the characters, and I suppose a lot of people can relate to that and want to defend that. Not so much as a white knight (especially if they play through her bad ending) but because a lot of those people may indeed want someone who they can protect and nuture, but they'd want the same in return as well.
All you really need to know is that there's a gun that shoots shurikens and lightning. I wish I could make something like that up; it shoots shurikens and lightning.
Nicendeth

Post by Nicendeth »

Disguised Kenji wrote:
Pyramid Head wrote: Like i said the Rin arc was good, but Rin didn't have a significant change to her personality aside from possibly learning a little healthy cynicism after being exploited, it was Hisao who made the most change in that arc.
I believe Rin changed the most, in fact. She seems seems to be more confident and at ease with herself than in the beginning (even though still confusing as hell). In the beginning she seems to be greatly influenced by what others think of her, regardless of what she says. Like when Hisao and Nomiya suggested about the exhibition.
I don't know; they both changed similarly, they practically mirrored each other's attitudes. You could say Hisao was similarly influenced by Rin, he certainly changed his interests because of her. I would put it roughly equal in how much they affected each other merely because they treat each other as equal individuals in the end.
Guest Poster

Post by Guest Poster »

I almost wish this really was a video game and we had complete control over a protagonist, but that probably would have taken too long anyway.
Do people really want a protagonist who acts flawlessly in a game like KS that badly? I thought the point was that the player wasn't some perfect person, but rather a guy who was on the same level as his love interests. Meaning disabled physically and occasionally messing things up due to his own emotional baggage.

You really want a Mary HiSueo who never drops the ball and have only the girls mess up every now and then? 'cause I wouldn't.
Sisterhood: True Edition. Hanako epilogue I wrote. Now expanded with additional chapters.
Pseudogenesis

Re: Am I the only one who feels that Hanako's arc is overrat

Post by Pseudogenesis »

Hanako's biggest change is, in the broadest sense, becoming less shy and more confident about herself and her relationships. We all know that. What you fail to take into account are the other revelations that occur Hanako's route. Our first impression of Hanako is that she's a delinquent. That first opinion is (as are many subsequent others) quickly remedied. Throughout the route, Hanako is perceived as being many different things. At first she was merely shy. Over time we learn that she's intelligent, driven, is cynical and distrustful, has a few remarkable hobbies, is extremely loyal, is stronger than originally thought, dislikes being treated as fragile, and overall is a far more textured character than she is originally perceived to be. Her route is defined by continually dispelled illusions as to what the nature of her character might be. Hers isn't character development in the traditional sense, but it's still quite tangible.
The biggest dilemma in Katawa Shoujo:
'Should I recommend this to my friends or do I want them to continue to see me as mentally healthy?'

Mashup of the month: "Damn It Feels Good To Be a Cripple"
Pyramid Head

Post by Pyramid Head »

Guest Poster wrote:
I almost wish this really was a video game and we had complete control over a protagonist, but that probably would have taken too long anyway.
Do people really want a protagonist who acts flawlessly in a game like KS that badly? I thought the point was that the player wasn't some perfect person, but rather a guy who was on the same level as his love interests. Meaning disabled physically and occasionally messing things up due to his own emotional baggage.

You really want a Mary HiSueo who never drops the ball and have only the girls mess up every now and then? 'cause I wouldn't.
What is it with guest posters and straw men? Did i say that? Did i imply that was what i wanted? Or did i say i wanted a character i had more control over because i couldn't project onto HIsao? If you're not going to read the full post and consider the context of the poster, shut the fuck up.
The fear of blood tends to create fear for the flesh.
Disguised Kenji

Pyramid Head wrote:
Guest Poster wrote:

What is it with guest posters and straw men? Did i say that? Did i imply that was what i wanted? Or did i say i wanted a character i had more control over because i couldn't project onto HIsao? If you're not going to read the full post and consider the context of the poster, shut the fuck up.
This reminds of my first time in the forums in a rather strange way... When I first saw "Guest Poster" I thought it was a random guest that made some story of Hanako. :lol: Luckily I was wrong, and it's been my canon Hanako post-ending ever since.

Anyway, this is the internet, so I won't ask if somebody else identified himself as Hisao. But I did. More like me than anything I could do. Well, not that depressive, but in his situation I wouldn't do much differently than him. And most probably would have a Hanako bad ending, if I got into her. Which is somewhat likely. 4LS didn't even know me, dammit, I bet they're feminists that can read minds!! :lol:
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Guest Poster wrote:

He said he wanted a character he could control, not a flawless Mary Sue who can never screw up.

Either you didn't read the post or you're implying Pyramid Head is a flawless person. Either way, I feel like punching you.
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Pseudogenesis wrote:Our first impression of Hanako is that she's a delinquent.
I never thought she was a delinquent...I really don't see that impression. :lol:
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
Gandara

Post by Gandara »

Xanatos wrote:
I never thought she was a delinquent...I really don't see that impression. :lol:
She cuts out of class early, show up late and some days just doesn't show up at all.

Diet / Exercise Tracker:
Original weight (1/1/12): 400 lbs. // Target weight: ??? lbs. // Current (1/28/13): 344 lbs. // Total lost: 56 lbs.
Current exercise: Workout 3-4x a week: jogging, weights
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies." - Andy Dufresne, "The Shawshank Redemption"
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Gandara wrote:
Xanatos wrote:
She cuts out of class early, show up late and some days just doesn't show up at all.
Eh, I guess that'd say 'delinquent' to most. It was a basic accommodation in school for me that I could leave or show up whenever. One which I abused increasingly over the years, granted. :lol: Plus it's pretty obvious from her general personality that's she's hardly a delinquent.
Gandara

Post by Gandara »

Xanatos wrote:Eh, I guess that'd say 'delinquent' to most. It was a basic accommodation in school for me. :lol: Plus it's pretty obvious from her general personality that's she's hardly a delinquent.
I suppose she doesn't act "aloof" as is the common attitude with delinquents. Also, Mutou's attitude towards her doesn't express delinquency. If she was just being lazy and not showing up / showing up whenever she felt like it, Mutou would probably say something instead of just silently acknowledging her.

Unless, of course, Hanako had the teachers in a stranglehold of fear.

Edit: Yeah, my school had nothing like that. I would get my ass kicked by my teachers for showing up even a couple minutes late.
Diet / Exercise Tracker:
Original weight (1/1/12): 400 lbs. // Target weight: ??? lbs. // Current (1/28/13): 344 lbs. // Total lost: 56 lbs.
Current exercise: Workout 3-4x a week: jogging, weights
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies." - Andy Dufresne, "The Shawshank Redemption"