Re-reading KS after many other VNs

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Pyramid Head

Re: Re-reading KS after many other VNs

Post by Pyramid Head »

stanman237 wrote:
Pyramid Head wrote:
Tununias wrote:There are a lot of great VNs out there. For a free VN, Katawa Shoujo is easily in the top 5. When you add in the professional VNs that cost $45 - $115, the competition can get pretty fierce.

Okay i have to reply to this, sorry for the double post. Why in Jah's name would you EVER pay over $100 for a visual novel when not even classic video games hit that price?! I mean c'mon, i've seen actual classic books that were part of an original publication that went for less than some of the visual novels your bringing up. Unless the visual novel magically summons an angelic prostitute to massage your genitals while you read, anything over the asking price for a new video game is simply way too fucking high when you could easily just buy the complete run of a good manga series for that price.
The truth is, a hell lot of people in Japan. One of the more popular ones like Clannad and Little Busters are about 100 dollars each and they sell almost 200,000 copies each in Japan. In other words, the call of duty of Japan.
...that's a weirdly appropriate comparison actually. I can easily compare the three arcs of Clannad (Clannad, After Stories, and Tomoyo After) to the Modern Warfare installments. The first one is alright for it's genre and might even count as groundbreaking but still does have some underlying pacing issues and can be more than a little juvenile, the second one is stupid but overall functional save for a few offensive moments, and the third just comes off as stupid and desperate but people lap it up anyway because games like Shadow of the Colossus are too user unfriendly for the socially retarded dog fuckers who make up a decent chunk of the Xbox Live and PSN population.
...yes this is kind of a sore spot for me. How can you tell?
The fear of blood tends to create fear for the flesh.
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Pyramid Head wrote:...yes this is kind of a sore spot for me. How can you tell?
Call of Duty should be a sore spot for anyone with taste.
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
Tomate

Post by Tomate »

Xanatos wrote:
Wise words.
Don't just eat that hamburger, eat the HELL out of it!
yummines

Post by yummines »

Tomate wrote:
Xanatos wrote:
Wise words.
Call of Duty wasn't so bad when the first Modern Warfare came out

the problem is afterwards, with Black Ops and MW2
Camoufrage

Post by Camoufrage »

yummines wrote:
Tomate wrote:
Xanatos wrote:
Wise words.
Call of Duty wasn't so bad when the first Modern Warfare came out

the problem is afterwards, with Black Ops and MW2
Black ops wasn't so bad.

Zombies was worth the price of admission alone! Plus it was probably the most innovative one since COD4. Not defending COD though, still a stupid series aside from zombies.
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Camoufrage wrote:Black ops wasn't so bad.

Zombies was worth the price of admission alone! Plus it was probably the most innovative one since COD4. Not defending COD though, still a stupid series aside from zombies.
Ugh. The zombie trend needs to go die somewhere. A game about zombies is fine but just shoehorning them where they don't bloody well belong is lazy at best.
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
Camoufrage

Post by Camoufrage »

Xanatos wrote:

Ugh. The zombie trend needs to go die somewhere. A game about zombies is fine but just shoehorning them where they don't bloody well belong is lazy at best.
COD had zombies before the trend. And to say it doesn't belong in a COD game is pretty stupid. Its the best part of the games by far and you blow it off because its too "trendy" and continue trash talking the series? Dont criticize a game and act as though the good parts dont exist. Sounds pretty cynical hipster to me.

Zombies is the saving grace of the series IMO, everything else they're doing is getting stale.

RDR did zombies and despite it being too "mainstream" it was still high quality DLC
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Camoufrage wrote:
Xanatos wrote:

COD had zombies before the trend. And to say it doesn't belong in a COD game is pretty stupid. Its the best part of the games by far and you blow it off because its too "trendy" and continue trash talking the series? Dont criticize a game and act as though the good parts dont exist. Sounds pretty cynical hipster to me.

Zombies is the saving grace of the series IMO, everything else they're doing is getting stale.

RDR did zombies and despite it being too "mainstream" it was still high quality DLC
The good parts don't exist. You just said so yourself: Everything is stale. When you can carve up a game and the only "good" element is some shoehorned zombies that don't belong, it can't be said to be a good game. And while others try to rationalize how zombies belong in a realism-based war shooter, I'll be over here making sense. I don't give a damn that it's trendy, I give a damn that it has no place in the setting.

And we're veering off-topic again. Seems to be an inevitability.
Last edited by Xanatos on Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Post by Silentcook »

Oi. Suddenly, first person shooters. Wut? :?
Shattering your dreams since '94. I also fought COVID in '20 and '21, and all I got was this lousy forum sig.

Camoufrage

Post by Camoufrage »

I'm sorry but what? The good parts of COD do exist, you are just blowing it off as being shoehorned when its not. They work just as hard on zombies as they do any other part of the game. In fact I do believe zombies has been around longer than customisable killstreaks and multiple attachments on weapons... have you even played the zombies mode? COD has never been a realism based shooter. Go play ARMA 2 (oh and while your at it play the ever-so-popular ZOMBIES MOD :P) for a realistic war shooter. COD has always been arcadey

In black ops 2 zombies will have a full fledged campaign, competitive multi player, and the original survival mode. Does that sound shoehorned to you?
Silentcook wrote:Oi. Suddenly, first person shooters. Wut? :?
I dont even know, just hate blind bandwagon hate :/.

You guys should do Katawa Shoujo: Undead Nightmare
Last edited by Camoufrage on Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Enemy |

Post by Enemy | »

The story of how Hisao and his waifu wife (this takes place in the future) deal with the zombie apocalypse.
Camoufrage

Post by Camoufrage »

Enemy | wrote:The story of how Hisao and his waifu wife (this takes place in the future) deal with the zombie apocalypse.
And Kenji will have a side story discovering how the feminists were involved in the outbreak.
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Camoufrage wrote:zombies mode
Creating an entire mode in a game where zombies have no business being just for the sake of "OMG LET'S PUT ZOMBIES HERE!" is the very definition of shoehorned. It doesn't matter how long they've been there if they don't belong and in a reality-based war shooter, they don't belong.

@Enemy |: That...That would be interesting. Cue Rin flailing her sleeves at the zombies...And Kenji being Kenji. And Hideaki being bait. :twisted:

Poor Lilly wouldn't make it...But then it's revealed that she, Akira, and Al Capone are actually masterminds behind the whole thing.

Also molotov cocktails would have Hanako on the bottle label.
Last edited by Xanatos on Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Camoufrage

Post by Camoufrage »

Xanatos wrote:
Camoufrage wrote:zombies mode
Creating an entire mode in a game where zombies have no business being just for the sake of "OMG LET'S PUT ZOMBIES HERE!" is the very definition of shoehorned. It doesn't matter how long they've been there if they don't belong and in a reality-based war shooter, they don't belong
Point being? Then multi player is shoehorned because one day they were playing a war shooter and said "OMG LETS PUT MULTIPLAYER HERE" and the idea of having disabled characters in KS is shoehorned as well. Who cares if its shoehorned? Its a great part of the game is hasn't been "shoehorned" in 3 years. Yes sure it was shoehorned in WaW but since its been a mainstay for the franchise, just as any part of the series.

Saying something doesn't belong in a certain game is absurd when it helps the game.

They put zombies in the game because they thought it would be a fun addition to the game not because OMG ZOMBIES. The fact that the zombies mode has one of the deepest plots and story lines intertwined within the game is evidence of that. They didn't just throw it in. They worked hard on it because there is a fan base for it.

The idea behind shoehorning something is the same idea as injecting new life into something
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Camoufrage wrote:the idea of having disabled characters in KS is shoehorned as well.
If you're just not going to make sense, this is a pointless discussion. To claim that having disabled characters in a game where the entire concept and story is completely based upon disabled characters is shoehorning is just...Good god, Lewis Carroll couldn't be more nonsensical. And he was probably on drugs. And multiplayer generally is shoehorned into many things these days. The difference is where that sometimes works, the zombie modes in CoD just serve to cover for the stale garbage that series has degenerated into over the years. If they wanted to inject new life, they could try actually doing so but that's apparently asking too much. Even the zombies, shoehorned or otherwise, have started to go stale.

On the subject of a zombie apocalypse in KS...Somehow I doubt Hisao's ability to survive. Emi would probably start mauling them with her running blades...And I don't want to think of how lemon lube might be involved...But my mind won't let me not think of it.

As for the topic, I've started reading some other VN...I'll see how it compares to KS.