Which of the characters would date you?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

mysterycycle

Re: Which of the characters would date you?

Post by mysterycycle »

Surreal-mind wrote:It's difficult to be objective about this subject.
Just having the same interests as one of the girls, or a similar personality doesn't mean she's gonna fall for you.
There are also lots of other things to take into account, so no matter how you try to look at it, it's really difficult to be completely objective.
Well, sure. Similar interests are going to give a relationship longevity, and provide a point of contact and common ground to discuss, but they're no guarantee of a relationship blooming out of that in the first place. I'll wager most everyone on these forums has first-hand experience of that.

But there's no way to be completely objective about it. Aside from the fact that these are fictional characters, and thus can never be as complex as a living human being (so how can we hope to predict their reactions?), there's also the issue that sometimes people just aren't attracted to other people, despite how much they have in common or how much they enjoy each others' company. Or how badly one party wants it...

I suppose I could have answered "Turns out none of them were interested in me," but aside from being kind of a dull answer, I don't see the point in fantasizing about girls rejecting me. I've got real life for that B'DUM-TISH! *audience hoots and cheers*
You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be the better person.
ImageImage
Couch to 5k with Emi: WD123 W2D123 W3D123 W4D123 W5D123 W6D123 W7D123 W8D123 W9D123
I'm making a Katawa Shoujo doujinshi!
My deviantArt
Helbereth

Post by Helbereth »

I think the thought I had at the beginning was whether or not they'd pursue you at all. Whether or not it would turn into a long-term relationship wasn't part of the equation.

Therefore, based on who you are and how you react to first meetings, and how the characters are portrayed reacting to first meetings, would the KS characters pursue a relationship with you based on first impressions?

The long-term stuff comes into play after you've gotten to know each other - I was asking if that first meeting would bear any fruit at all. It's much less complicated that way.
Pseudogenesis

Post by Pseudogenesis »

It's a good question, and one that's not easy to answer. As easy as it is to forget, there isn't really too much you can know about fictional characters, so without much to go on it's hard to make even an educated guess. I mentioned earlier somewhere that I'll only let facets of my personality show through if I know and trust the person. I wouldn't have anything remotely interesting to offer until I knew them, and that would take time, sorta violating the whole first meetings rule.
I beat the system, mang.
The biggest dilemma in Katawa Shoujo:
'Should I recommend this to my friends or do I want them to continue to see me as mentally healthy?'

Mashup of the month: "Damn It Feels Good To Be a Cripple"
Helbereth

Post by Helbereth »

Pseudogenesis wrote:It's a good question, and one that's not easy to answer. As easy as it is to forget, there isn't really too much you can know about fictional characters, so without much to go on it's hard to make even an educated guess. I mentioned earlier somewhere that I'll only let facets of my personality show through if I know and trust the person. I wouldn't have anything remotely interesting to offer until I knew them, and that would take time, sorta violating the whole first meetings rule.
I beat the system, mang.
That may be true, but there's the person you act like around people who don't know you to consider.

Everyone does it on some level.

I know I do.

I speak differently, firstly. Around people I just met, I skip using profanity, use smaller words and shorter sentences, avoid eye contact, and generally only speak when spoken to. However, around people I know, I'm sometimes loud, somewhat crude and verbose, constantly holding my gaze up, as well as talkative. It's a defense mechanism, I think.

A act differently as well. If you saw me in public, I would be walking faster, sitting straighter, and generally look uncomfortable. Around friends, I slow down, relax and often look like the most comfortable guy in the room.

Obviously this is a little extreme, but I think everyone changes their behavior around people they don't know. Hollywood usually gets that wrong.
Pseudogenesis

Post by Pseudogenesis »

Almost exactly the same here. It's hard to imagine many people being interested in the toned-down, barebones cautious personality that's typical of interactions with people you don't know. It is a defense mechanism though. To not let too much personality show through until you're sure the person won't crucify you for it. It's a shame, all our supposed civilization and yet we can't even rid ourselves of the most basic survival impulses.
'Should I recommend this to my friends or do I want them to continue to see me as mentally healthy?'

DrNonookee

Post by DrNonookee »

I don't know any sign language, but I would be willing to learn and might actually appreciate the slower conversations.
I have to admit, I would consider this a big plus if I were to end up dating Shizune. I have...issues with speaking to people in person. :? The problem is mostly that of having a brain that seems to work slower than other peoples' when it comes to parsing and prepping speech. This tends to manifest itself in a couple of ways - one is an annoyingly constant habit of asking people to repeat what they just said, as if I'd had trouble hearing them. Oftentimes I heard them just fine, but I'll end up asking out of habit anyway. The reason? I need more time to mentally parse what they just said than most people will allow me on their own. If I *don't* do this and just try to speak at my normal response time, there's a very short but noticable gap there that people tend to notice. I *hate* that - it makes me feel like I'm mentally impaired. :cry:

There's also a tendancy to accidentally mix up sentence fragments. Ever seen Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World (the movie)? There's a hilarious scene where Scott is trying to come up with a response to something said to him...we see a Wheel Of Fortune-style game wheel that spins around to show his mind honing in on a reply. Except it lands directly on the line *between* segments, so instead of "I'll go talk to her" or "I have to go pee" he instead says something like "I have to pee on her". :shock: This very same thing happens to me annoyingly often. When I converse, I tend to mentally take my time thinking of what I want to say, even as I'm in the process of saying it - but it happens slowly enough that my mouth often catches up to my brain halfway through. I'll have two or three possible phrasings of a reply on the tip of my tongue, but before I can pick one my mouth gets to the point where it's needed and it ends up blending them together into something nonsensical.

I can make meaningless small talk just fine, but whenever I need to actually think about what I'm saying (i.e. when I actually *care* about the subject at hand), I come across like some sort of dyslexic or something. It gets worse when I'm agitated, which of course is automatically going to include any interactions with strangers because I tend to get nervous trying to break the ice with them. It may be some sort of offshoot of my Tourette's Syndrome (which in my case is normally limited to physical tics, not verbal ones), or it may just be the result of lack of practice with speaking meaningfully with people. All I know is that I end up sounding like a buffoon when I'm trying to talk to people I don't know in person. It's one of the major factors behind my lingering shyness, it hurts my self-esteem :( , and it royally pisses me off because here on the Internet, where I have time to properly distill my stream of conciousness into words, I'm actually quite eloquent (not to mention verbose, as the average length of my posts shows :P). Sign language would be a *tremendous* relief for 'speaking' in person, as it has the same "think about what you say before you say it" elements of online chat. Ironically, this is the same reason Shizune dislikes it...it lacks the spontaniety, the 'soul' of verbal speech, if you will.

Also, I'm not sure how the syntax of sign language works, but I imagine it would be harder to make clever puns. Which I enjoy. ;)
there's also the issue that sometimes people just aren't attracted to other people, despite how much they have in common or how much they enjoy each others' company. Or how badly one party wants it...
This is by far one of the most depressing things about humanity in general. :( It's also one that I personally have a lot of trouble understanding. Compared to a lot of other people, I seem to have an unusually inclusive set of requirements as far as potential partners so. In all honesty, the only three things I really require from someone to potentially be attracted to them are:

1) A good heart. Someone who's genuinely kind and sweet and compassionate. This is the reason I love the KS girls so much - they're all sweethearts, just in different ways. ;)

2) Respect for the rights of others. I have a strong For Happiness mentality, and it really ticks me off when people don't respect the right of other people to be happy - do their own thing, believe in their own way. This doesn't just mean jerkasses, but anyone who's needlessly self-righteous in a bad way.

3) Not monsterously ugly. :p This one seems superficial, but it's important to know that my definition of "ugly" generally starts at somewhere around Jonah Hex level. It is a *very* rare thing for me to find someone outright unattractive - usually it's the result of some specific turn-off (such as bad teeth, which I've found can be a major deal-breaker for me).

Point being, unless one of these is in play, I've found I have the potential for attraction to just about anybody. :o Granted, there are certain qualities that might make some people *more* attractive than others (such as Emi's playful personality, or Shizune's well-meaning deviousness :roll: ), but I've never been one to discount a person completely based on such things. So it's kind of disturbing when I hear people talk about apparantly having *no* chemistry with a given person - it's not a feeling I've ever really experienced. Maybe my brain doesn't work the same way as other peoples', or maybe I'm just such a pervert that everyone is appealing in some way. :roll: Either way, it's kind of depressing to think that a person might be forever relagated to the 'just friends' zone due to nothing more than getting a poor draw on the biochemical raffle.

Poor Misha...
It's hard to imagine many people being interested in the toned-down, barebones cautious personality that's typical of interactions with people you don't know.
Well, yes, but generally we don't *expect* them to, either. That's why breaking the ice is so important - it's the method of moving past that initial awkwardness and getting to the *real* social interaction beneath. Unfortunately, it's also why shy folks tend to end up lonely - they're either too afraid to try, or too 'uninteresting' for the other party to stick around long enough to see past that initial mask. It's not their fault - everyone is different, and being shy isn't necessarily a bad thing in and of itself. It's just that this particular quality makes it really hard to find a date. :p What this world needs is more people like Hisao who are willing to *pursue* shy people, if only on a platonic level. Even if the friendship/relationship doesn't work out, it still helps them tremendously in learning to come out of their shell. Plus, you never know - you just might like them once you get to know them. ;)
Now playing: Final Fantasy 14
Charlotte Donnay - Hyperion server. Look me up sometime!
Pseudogenesis

Post by Pseudogenesis »

DrNonookee wrote:
I don't know any sign language, but I would be willing to learn and might actually appreciate the slower conversations.
I have to admit, I would consider this a big plus if I were to end up dating Shizune. I have...issues with speaking to people in person. :? The problem is mostly that of having a brain that seems to work slower than other peoples' when it comes to parsing and prepping speech. This tends to manifest itself in a couple of ways - one is an annoyingly constant habit of asking people to repeat what they just said, as if I'd had trouble hearing them. Oftentimes I heard them just fine, but I'll end up asking out of habit anyway. The reason? I need more time to mentally parse what they just said than most people will allow me on their own. If I *don't* do this and just try to speak at my normal response time, there's a very short but noticable gap there that people tend to notice. I *hate* that - it makes me feel like I'm mentally impaired. :cry:

There's also a tendancy to accidentally mix up sentence fragments. Ever seen Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World (the movie)? There's a hilarious scene where Scott is trying to come up with a response to something said to him...we see a Wheel Of Fortune-style game wheel that spins around to show his mind honing in on a reply. Except it lands directly on the line *between* segments, so instead of "I'll to talk to her" or "I have to go pee" he instead says something like "I have to pee on her". :shock: This very same thing happens to me annoyingly often. When I converse, I tend to mentally take my time thinking of what I want to say, even as I'm in the process of saying it - but it happens slowly enough that my mouth often catches up to my brain halfway through. I'll have two or three possible phrasings of a reply on the tip of my tongue, but before I can pick one my mouth gets to the point where it's needed and it ends up blending them together into something nonsensical.

I can make meaningless small talk just fine, but whenever I need to actually think about what I'm saying (i.e. when I actually *care* about the subject at hand), I come across like some sort of dyslexic or something. It gets worse when I'm agitated, which of course is automatically going to include any interactions with strangers because I tend to get nervous trying to break the ice with them. It may be some sort of offshoot of my Tourette's Syndrome (which in my case is normally limited to physical tics, not verbal ones), or it may just be the result of lack of practice with speaking meaningfully with people. All I know is that I end up sounding like a buffoon when I'm trying to talk to people I don't know in person. It's one of the major factors behind my lingering shyness, it hurts my self-esteem :( , and it royally pisses me off because here on the Internet, where I have time to properly distill my stream of conciousness into words, I'm actually quite eloquent (not to mention verbose, as the average length of my posts shows :P). Sign language would be a *tremendous* relief for 'speaking' in person, as it has the same "think about what you say before you say it" elements of online chat. Ironically, this is the same reason Shizune dislikes it...it lacks the spontaniety, the 'soul' of verbal speech, if you will.
I have to admit, that's a quality of sign language that's fairly attractive. I've never been able to speak on-the-run per se, and always end up mixing sentences, as you said. I'll start out to say something, then get a different idea as to how the sentence should be formed, and in a few seconds you have an embarrassing trainwreck. Too bad there's no backspace in speech.

As you can probably tell, I'm far better at expressing myself in text. I've even thought during conversations "This would be so much easier if I could just type it out." English is my strong suit, but I can't seem to get the damned words out in person.

I'd be much better if pauses in conversation were a social norm. Maybe it would give somebody the chance to think of something interesting for a change, instead of feeling pressured to spew smalltalk because the conversation can't die down for a second. It's irritating.

I find that when I care about something, though, my decisiveness goes sky high. I tend to be able to express myself uncharacteristically well, because my conviction to express myself outweighs my hyperactive self-consciousness.

ZXRN

Post by ZXRN »

Surreal-mind wrote:
ZXRN wrote:
Surreal-mind wrote: I think the only way to have a kind of objective answer would be to describe yourself, and have the other users "guess" who would try to date you. (based on the description of course).
That...actually made a lot of sense.I'm starting to like yer way of thinking already wahaha
I'm kind of tempted to make a thread on this :lol:
That'd be great. We the people who support Rin, support you as well. wahaha :lol:
I'll do my best to be my Emiest.
yummines

Post by yummines »

I am absolutely terrible with people in general, much less girls so realistically none of them cause i doubt i would be noticed

Ideally either Lily (probably wanting to help me) or Hanako (due to similar personalities)
Snow_Storm

Post by Snow_Storm »

metalangel

Post by metalangel »

NB: The above picture used to be a twitter post by Tara Strong stating: "I'm sorry but you cannot physically date an animated character"

Last edited by metalangel on Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Megumeru

Post by Megumeru »

How about if we made an animated version of ourselves for the purpose of dating that animated cartoon character?

Wouldn't an animated date with an animated character may just be animated enough to be...

...wait, what?
They say they hate Shizune? What is this? BLASPHEMY!

SHII-HAEL!
Shizune>Rin>Emi>Hanako>Lilly
"A writer is a light that reveals the world of his story from darkness. Shapes it from nothingness. If the writer stops, the world dies with it." - Alan Wake
Yes, I write stories. Currently working on: The Haunting: A Love Story
ShadeHaven

Post by ShadeHaven »

Ha! Tara Strong...the hell does she know...
DrNonookee wrote:I have to admit, I would consider this a big plus if I were to end up dating Shizune. I have...issues with speaking to people in person. The problem is mostly that of having a brain that seems to work slower than other peoples' when it comes to parsing and prepping speech. This tends to manifest itself in a couple of ways - one is an annoyingly constant habit of asking people to repeat what they just said, as if I'd had trouble hearing them. Oftentimes I heard them just fine, but I'll end up asking out of habit anyway. The reason? I need more time to mentally parse what they just said than most people will allow me on their own. If I *don't* do this and just try to speak at my normal response time, there's a very short but noticable gap there that people tend to notice. I *hate* that - it makes me feel like I'm mentally impaired.
I've had this problem for some time now. Its the sole reason why I hate having conversations with people I do and don't know. I can't conceive how people respond so quickly to comments in a regular conversation. I'll often ask friends to repeat themselves also, just to give myself a little more time to come up with an acceptable response. I also suck at small talk, but that may be because I simply cannot find much to talk about, beyond my own personal hobbies and interests. "Mentally impaired" pretty much sums up how this makes me feel as well.
WorldlyWiseman

Post by WorldlyWiseman »

Japanese 3D hologram Pop star

It is coming. Soon our waifus will join us here in reality.
Hanako's favorite joke is The Aristocrats, but she never tells it because Lilly finds it really offensive. Instead, she practices her delivery in front of a mirror when she's alone. It's the only time she never stammers.
Mint

Post by Mint »

None of them.

:(