Antiphony (Hanako)

WORDS WORDS WORDS

Brogurt

Antiphony (Hanako)

Post by Brogurt »

Antiphony

Three solid knocks break the stillness of the air, and the peacefulness of my sleep.

*Knock knock knock*

“Auughhh…”

Shit, who’s looking to bother me this early in the morning in the dead middle of winter? Nothing’s even supposed to happen today, for crying out loud. I crack my eyes open and glance at the alarm clock to see what time it is so I can appropriately whine to whoever’s knocking-

11:37 A.M.

Dammit.

“Alright, sorry, just a sec!”

I instinctively return to bundling myself up in my sheets to escape the cold, but a pang of guilt overcomes me when I realize that I’m only making whoever’s at the door wait even longer for me. So I drag myself out of bed, slap on some clothes, not caring about how well they fit or how they look together, and open the door so as to greet my assailant. I feel like I already know who it is.

“Oh, hey there Hanako. Come on in.”

“Hello, Hisao.”

She gives a curt little nod and walks inside, closing the door behind her. Her expression is surprisingly nondescript, and I don’t think that she really has an excuse for it, since I am the one who was woken up only minutes ago. But I let it slide, as I’m certain she must have some reason for being here that takes priority over whatever expression she’s wearing.

“So… is there some reason you’re here, or did you just want to hang out or something?”

“I… I’m conflicted, Hisao, and I… want to know what you think.”

“Umm, alright? I guess I’m okay with talking. What about?”

Some lines describing the uneasiness in the room, how much I dislike when we’re uneasy, how it feels like an eternity waiting for her reply to come.

“I was thinking about… how we are together, you and I, and I was wondering…”

She takes a breather for a moment, then speaks calmly.

“Why me?”

The look on my face freezes at a point halfway between disbelief and disgust, and I immediately regret my words. I’m certain she knows how I feel when I see her self-esteem plummet like this, so for her to be so open about it, she must be really distressed.

She’s normally much more confident, much more outgoing. At least, more recently. Not just a couple of days ago I stood by the sidelines and watched her introduce herself to some prospective students that were touring to the school.

She even opened up and told them that the scars were from a house fire, and that she hopes to someday be an exemplar for showing others how traumatizing experiences don’t have to change us beyond the physical nature of things.

The students asked her why she doesn’t already consider herself one -with genuine honesty, which I thought was amazing- and she said that she still has some problems, just that they’re not very evident.

“What the hell do you mean by that?”

“I mean, why did you… why did you decide to pursue this relationship? …If you were still just interested in treating me like a child, you could have… said no… and if you actually saw me as a… a love interest… what made me more attractive than the other girls here, who didn’t have the same problems I did? The other girls, who could handle themselves, and who could support you too?”

I find myself at a loss for words. I guess none of these are things that have come up since we became a couple, but I figured anything of the sort was long gone by now. I thought we were focusing on the future and what’s in store for us there, instead of living in the past.

And yet, her questions resonate with me, in a way.

I mean, what redeeming qualities did I have? For the longest time, I was only “the first guy to try and get to know her”. After all, there were a lot of times that I felt inferior to many of other students at the school, and I often felt that I had really lost out when I had that heart attack and spent four months in the hospital. I lost out on a “normal” relationship, I lost out on a “normal” life, I lost out on time, and I lost out on motivation.

To top it off, I’ve had my own doubts about how she’d even be able to forgive me for what I’ve done. From the way I’ve treated her for so long, as if she were a burden, to the things I did in pursuit of my own base desires. Did she see something in me that I didn’t see in myself?

But I don’t know if it would be appropriate to ask that of her. I might as well just be saying that I can’t justify why we’re together. If she’s as distressed as she is now, it might be a better choice to just reassure her of her own worth.

On the other hand, doing that might be like saying that I can’t rely on her to answer my questions. As if I don’t think that she can be the same way for me that I can be for her.

How should I go about this?

­
­
­
­
­
­
­
Last edited by Brogurt on Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brogurt

Antiphony: Answer

Post by Brogurt »

This would be a great chance to cheer her up and give her self esteem a boost. I suppose I’ll just list things off as they come to mind.

“Well, Hanako… You are intelligent, kindhearted, attractive, capable, and you could pretty much pursue whatever goal you want in life and succeed if you put your mind to it.”

And let’s not make things too shallow. Might be a good idea to bring up her scarring, so it doesn’t look like I’m deliberately ignoring it.

“And don’t forget, your scars don’t mean a damn thing, and if you don’t make a big deal of them, nobody else will. Do you know how much scarring it would take to turn such a pretty girl into an ugly one?”

“I-I…”

Her face turns a deep shade of red, and an absurdly cute smile makes itself visible in the midst of her blush.

“And the level of your resolve is one I could only hope to achieve. I thought I had it tough, but my experience with the hospital is nothing compared to what you’ve been through, and never once have I seen you abandon your desire to get better. That’s really admirable, Hanako, and I don’t think I can say with words how strong it makes you. But I feel like, with how well you’ve turned out, I could follow you to the ends of the earth and back.”

“R-really?”

“You heard me. I even think that you could do better than me if you really tried.”

Her smile dissipates quite quickly upon hearing my jest.

“Hisao, I would never! I… I love you too much…”

“I’m just saying. I never said you would, either. Just that you could.”

She stays silent for a long time following my statement. I think I’ve done well.

“So… that’s it, huh?”

Her words are little more than a whisper, and they catch me off-guard.

“What?”

“Huh? Oh, u-uh, it’s nothing.”

I get the feeling her question was referencing me more than herself, but I can’t say for sure.

The awkward silence lingers in the air, so I decide to break it with a small suggestion. I guess awkwardness is something that will never truly go away as long as I’m around her.

“So… would you like to, I dunno, head out on a date or something? You know, since you’re here…”

“…Sure, I guess so.”

It’s been several weeks now since that day that Hanako came to me, on the verge of tears, looking for support. And it looks like she’s gotten better. At least, that’s the impression I get as she calmly takes her seat in the classroom. We’ve still got time until it begins, so I guess I should head over and strike up a conversation to pass the time.

“Hey, Hanako, what's up? I couldn't find you at all last night, and you didn't answer your phone. I was hoping we could hang out or something.”

“Oh, sorry about that, I-I was out with the newspaper club. They called it "initiation night", and it was one of their regularly scheduled teambuilding nights where they’d all head out to the movies or somewhere in town, and they figured it would be best if I joined on one of those nights so I could get to know everyone better, since joining on a workday wouldn't go as well. I g-guess I accidentally turned my phone off…”

“The newspaper club? I didn’t know you had any interest in that sort of thing.”

“Well, n-not at first, but the girls seemed kind of nice, and I figured I’d give it a shot…”

"That sounds pretty neat. Would you mind introducing me to them sometime?"

"U-um, I don't think so... they've been pretty busy lately, and I don't know if I'll have time..."

"Oh, that's okay then. Just pretend I never asked… By the way, do I smell a bit of smoke?"

“I… I’m not sure what you’re talking about…”

“Huh. Alright, it’s probably just me.
Last edited by Brogurt on Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brogurt

Antiphony: Ask

Post by Brogurt »

“I could ask you the same. What do you see in me?”

I take a deep breath. I have a feeling that this is gonna hurt.

“All I am is a guy with a heart condition who doesn’t even have a bright future ahead of him.”

“D-don’t say that!”

“But it’s true. All I know is that I’ve got a passing interest in physical science, but I don’t know where at all I’m going to go with it. I’ve been telling myself it’s enough, but it’s not. The end of the year is sneaking up, and I don’t even have any plans for college or whatever’s next.”

“Hisao…”

She knows that my words ring true, and it shows in her voice.

“So, why me, Hanako?”

She stays silent for a while. A “while” that is being stretched to the very limit of its definition. I have no doubt that she’s carefully considering her answer, but this is a bit disconcerting.

“A… at first, you were just ‘the guy who cared’, and I wanted to get close to you… for that reason. But then, after I made you cry in the park, I felt like I used you. F-for the longest time, I was just afraid of being alone, and I didn't want to feel the pain any longer. I just... I just used you as an emotional crutch, because of how I was treated long ago…"

So I was “the guy who cared.” That’s sort of what I expected, but I didn’t expect her to feel guilty for simply having a relationship. In my disbelief, I allow her to continue.

“I wasn’t… I mean, at the time, I wasn’t thinking about your feelings as much as I should have, and I just wanted a relationship to make myself feel better. I just wanted someone, anyone, who would treat me like an equal.”

What she says hurts. Dearly. To hear her admit that she was pretty much using me because I was the only one to pay her any attention… it’s like all the happiness has been sucked out of my body, and what remains is a bleak vacuum.

But that’s kind of the way I treated her too, wasn’t it? I was pretending to be her knight in shining armor because it made me feel better about myself, and I paid no regard to how she felt about it either.

No regard to how it ruined her self esteem.

“But that was completely wrong of me, and I’m sorry! I’m sorry, I’m sorry, I’m sorry!”

Her words catch me off guard. They sound like something I should be saying.

Almost instinctually, I take her into an embrace, her face buried between my shoulder and neck. Her following words come out in between the sobs that are slowly overtaking her.

“A-and, now th-that I’ve gotten to know you better… you’re a m-much better person that I could have hoped for. I-I… sometimes think I’m not good enough for you… I m-mean, maybe I’m realizing it just now, but you’re kind, and well-meaning, and hardworking… and I’m not…”

“Hanako, don’t say that!”

“I strung you on! That’s the only noteworthy thing about me!”

“You listen here, Hanako. You are more capable than most of the students here, do you know that? You can still hear, you can still see, and you have all your motor functions and your full mental faculties.”

She turns her head towards me, perhaps expecting the same rehearsed reply I’ve given before. But this time I want it to mean something.

“Please understand that I am not talking badly about other students when I say that I believe you are the best option here.

“I… You’re just saying that…”

I knew my response would bring this about, when I decided to ask her about me rather than addressing her problems. But I’m not giving up now.

I am not. Hey, you know… come over here for a second.”

I show her to the lone window in my room. This is going to be cheesy as hell, but I think I can make it work.

I pull the blinds away to reveal a gateway outside, a gateway to the blankets of snow covering the schoolyard and the pathways, and s hurdle of trees, bared by the seasons, separating them from the city and its bright, nuanced lifestyle. And sitting high above it all is the sky itself, with clouds breaking and scattering in the wake of the sun’s light. It’s awfully bright for winter, I think.

“You see that?”

“S…see what?”

I extend my arm and point outside, my finger becoming a sharp and direct guiding instrument.

“The city, down there. Every one of those cars and every one of those buildings has at least one person in it, with their own experiences and their own life stories. And even though we know they’re out there, we can’t see them through their doors and their tinted windows, and we don’t know what they’re like.”

I pause to clear my throat. Doing good, I hope.

“They represent every opportunity in the world right now. It could have turned out that you or I happened to be in one of those cars at this very moment. But in reality, I’m up here, in the second floor of the boy’s dorms in Yamaku High School, at the top of the hill overlooking the town and the streets and the cars, with you. And there’s nowhere else I’d rather be.”

I rest my hand on hers, which is nestled on the edge of the windowsill. I then direct my attention to her, a gesture she notices and reciprocates.

“I won’t lie, I haven’t always felt the way about you that I do now. For a while, I felt only like your keeper, not your lover. Then, things changed. But then, even then, I didn’t love you as much as I should have. It was a sense of guilt, of obligation, that kept me with you. I didn’t really know or understand you, but you gave yourself up to me, and I had to respect that.”

“W-what are you saying?”

“Something I should have a long time ago, Hanako. I wasn’t sure how things were going to turn out between us, and I had my own doubts about our… compatibility. Especially keeping in mind the very shaky first steps we were taking.”

“Hisao…”

“But look at you now! You’re a wonderful girl, and a wonderful person. The fact that we can have a talk like this speaks volumes for that statement. You did not take advantage of me in any way. You said it yourself; what was I before I got to know you? Not much. But I am working towards finding my place in the world, and there is some driving force behind that that wasn’t there earlier. Even if I’ve got a heart condition-”

“I-I-I don’t care about your heart! You’ve been able to look past my issues, and I want to be able to look past yours!”

The combined beauty and simplicity of her statement leaves me stricken, and before I know it, I’m beginning to smile, then cry as well. Thankfully, my wilting heart finds solace next to hers when she grabs me as tightly as possible in a shared embrace. Shared warmth, shared empathy, shared… love? I think so.

Something about this exchange just seems more… pure than what we’ve said before. As if the beauty of our words is too much to handle, and they drag out the tears and the emotions with them as they are said, because they hold so much weight that anything less would be unacceptable.

Eventually, the tears dry up, and she releases me. I am about to question her move when she suddenly speaks.

“So, Hisao, getting back to your question…”

The tears and the choking have subsided; that much is apparent in her voice.

“Times like this are why I love you. You never fail to improve my life in the end, and just knowing that I’m with someone so honest and charming and loving is a blessing.”

“Heh, you know what, Hanako? I don’t think I could describe the way I feel you any better.”

“So, Hisao… would you like to… go out, or something?”

“On one condition. When we get back, I am hauling ass to the library so I can research some colleges and universities nearby. I don’t mean to sound conceited, but I think I’ve got far too much potential to let it go to waste.”

And maybe, just maybe, I'll introduce myself and my condition to some total strangers too, somewhere along the line.
Last edited by Brogurt on Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doomish

Re: Antiphony (Hanako)

Post by Doomish »

Hanako is fat.
misterprinny

Post by misterprinny »

Doomish wrote:Hanako is fat.
Somewhere, a Hanabro is screaming in rage.
Head Editor at Stewart-Class 7 Studios, an OELVN studio similar to 4LS. Please check out our blog and website and our forums.
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

Sorry. It just doesn't work for me.

Much of the dialogue seems really wooden and forced. The option idea was interesting, but one of the options is to answer straightforward and judging by what Hisao has just been debating with himself, I don't even know what "straightforward"means at that moment.

And choosing it just leads to the prologue for a story that nobody really liked anyway.

The other option seems better, but the awkward wording kills any real emotional pull it might have.
Not Dead Yet
Brogurt

Post by Brogurt »

Doomish wrote:Hanako is fat.
Alas! I have been defeated!
Oddball wrote:Words
I wasn't expecting this to be particularly good, at least prose-wise, in the first place. I forced myself to finish it today so I can move onto bigger and better things, I know I'm attention whoring, but we're talking something that I intend to enjoy as much as I enjoyed writing Mendacium itself and it was almost a proof of concept more than anything. Like a thesis statement with the necessary evidence, including some literary tropes that I thought were right for the story, but little else.

But there's people everywhere saying that you have to write, draw, or compose lots and lots of bad works before you can make good ones, and this story was really stagnating, and it served little purpose other than to tie me up and keep me from working on what's coming next, so I got it out of the way.
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

But there's people everywhere saying that you have to write, draw, or compose lots and lots of bad works before you can make good ones, and this story was really stagnating, and it served little purpose other than to tie me up and keep me from working on what's coming next, so I got it out of the way.
THAT is a feeling I know all too well.
Not Dead Yet
nemz

Post by nemz »

I'm with Oddball on this one; it just doesn't do anything for me. The whole setup is one of those damned 'trap' questions where it feels like anything you say is going to just make things worse. The straightforward answer doesn't really feel honest but rather just hollow flattery and the other is cheesy melodrama. On top of that Mendacium still has a bitter 'aftertaste' so reminding me of that again does this no favors... especially when you're trying to put a bit of the blame for her cheating back on Hisao with all his "I bet you could do better than me" beta-tastic horseshit.
Rin > Shizune > Emi > Hanako > Lilly
Mahorfeus

Post by Mahorfeus »

Brogurt wrote:“You heard me. I even think that you could do better than me if you really tried.”
Once it is seen, it cannot be unseen.

Great writing as always, though I prefer the presumed good ending for what might be an obvious reason. The other ending gave me an all-too-familiar sense of foreboding.
"A very small degree of hope is sufficient to cause the birth of love." -Stendhal
Kayo12

Post by Kayo12 »

The choice was interesting, but felt purposefully misleading. Having it lead into 'that story' was just bad. It just makes it seem more like it was Hisao's fault, as if he was to blame for Hanako's actions.
The dialogue didn't really feel natural. It didn't sound like Hisao or Hanako speaking, it was like a conversation between two totally different people.
A shame, since I would have liked to see a story where Hanako asks Hisao this question, why he feels the way he does, and he answers honestly and extols how much he's in love with her.
lolawesome

Post by lolawesome »

Oh happy day, a new Brogurt Hanako story ... hmm, why isn't it in the Chocolatey fiction thread?

ah, this must be that "prequel" you mention

it really lacks a lot of the prose mastery you usually write, especially that controversial one where I feel you were just at God-tier mode

and honestly, the end of the ASK route gives just a flimsy veiled reasoning for Mendacium that just doesn't really change much about how a lot of us feel how the reasoning of Hisao's self-blame/almost Deus Ex Machina happy ending lost a lot of verisimilitude due to ... well, just ... something.

but if writing this will exorcise the writer's block demons that was holding you back, I'm glad

you're one of my favorite writers, and I look forward to more future works, brogurt
http://pastebin.com/u/lolawesome

my pastebin - no rins tho
Beoran

Post by Beoran »

Well, I liked the second option better , but still... it doesn't seem to be exactly the way in which introverted people speak with each other, I feel...
Kind Regards, B.
Feeling like your heart is broken? Need to get it off your chest? Tell your story here.
Take a look at Eruta my jRPG under development. New web site since december 2012.
Play Ature, my free and open source indie Atari 2600 action adventure game.
All great love is above pity: for it wants - to create what is loved! -- F. Nietzsche - Thus Spoke Zarathustra.
Brogurt

Post by Brogurt »

The thing about Mendacium isn't about how Hanako became more confident, but rather about how she became more social while still retaining her insecurities.

Mendacium itself also was based on Hisao's similar kneejerk reaction, which included assuming that she did those things just because she wanted the dick, as well as the slightly more relevant kneejerk reaction in assuming that she is destined for trouble if she should ever become more outgoing again. A.K.A. white knighting.

I tried to make the same thing evident in this fic as a potential setup to the apex where she decides to do something drastic to wipe away those insecurities, by showing that if Hisao finds the resolve to stop being a useless piece of shit, Hanako will notice enough redeeming qualities in him to not consider seeing someone else for the "support" she desires.

So she is, at this point, not particularly introverted, but still insecure. If my dialogue failed that criteria as well, then I guess I've got work to do.

I am certain that 0% of what I just said even made sense, but I'm kinda tired and I think that this is the best way I can explain it.
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

Brogurt, please, give up that story. It was a failure on pretty much ever level.

You can try to explain it and rewrite it as much as you want, but it's still horrible, incredibly out of character for everyone involved, and has an ending that goes directly against what you set up earlier in the story.

You explanations really don't even seem to fit the things you're trying to explain. The story didn't work. See what you can learn from it and try not to make those same mistakes next time.
Not Dead Yet